As of Oct 4th, 2013.... Which Dash Cam do I need to buy?

Ouch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just want to get my money worth. One that'll last a while...take good videos. I kinda like one with two cameras on it if possible. Give me a link ... I love you guys.

Thanks.

Just jump in and choose one, like the BlackVue DR550GW-2CH the latest one added to the home page here and which has a rear camera. Use that as a baseline for comparison. If it's what you are looking for then just buy it and enjoy. If it's not then find something that beats it on whatever factors are important to you. And do read the posts, you'll find a wealth of info. Questions have been asked and answered at depth. There is no one "perfect" camera, it's all about trade-offs, depends what you are willing to give up to get what is really important to you. Let us know what you ultimately pick.

The new dual blackview one sounded promising but didn't meet my expectations. (terrible low bitrate)

Is that a compromise on dual camera units? The processor has to be be processing 2 images so the bit rate is decreased?

Is that a compromise on dual camera units? The processor has to be be processing 2 images so the bit rate is decreased?
The blackview forum experts think it's capable of much higher bitrate but the manufacture is afraid of long term heat issues. (so they cranked it way down) I think they also cranked it way down so it streams nicer to the iPhone/Android devices via WiFi app. (sacrificing video quality for wifi features) If the 550 is anything like the 500, you can be sure someone will come out with a "custom" firmware that enables higher bitrate. Newer camera's will have a processor that allows a lower bitrate to be streamed to the mobile device yet recording a higher bitrate at the same time.
I'm waiting for new WiFi dashcam's to come out that have this:
http://www.ambarella.com/products/automotive-camera-solutions.html

Last edited:
I want to buy a Dashboard Camera as well, I like the sound of these two.
BlackVue DR550GW-2CH Dual Channel

Itronics ITB-100HD SP Smart Plus
Can any body help me decide or suggest another model Please?
Thank You

I want to buy a Dashboard Camera as well, I like the sound of these two.
BlackVue DR550GW-2CH Dual Channel

Itronics ITB-100HD SP Smart Plus
Can any body help me decide or suggest another model Please?
Thank You

Hi Jax
You may find the search for a dashcam more fun than getting the Dashcam itself. <insert grin here>
Seriously I would look at Nikos thread re the Powerucc Panorama2. I am seriously considering that one now for myself.
So far I have had 2, Blackvue 400HD II and a DOD LS400W. The black view had overheating issues and died on me. The DOD LS400W, although good video is , in my opinion, not worth the money.
What I think is important is Vendor/Manufacturer support as well producing a good product. Vicovation and Finevue have good reputations so you may wish to look at them.
When you get down to choosing, go with the one that attracted you first. Each has their own taste and requirements. Once you get your first, you will develop your preferences and that will help you in your next selection and, trust me, there will be a next selection for you .. :)
Oh you may also want to look at GoPro Hero 3.. That cam can be used as a dash cam although it is primarily an action cam... I have one and use it for a backup dash cam when my latest acquisition fails..
Have a great day and have fun in your search!
As for myself, I liked Nikos thread on the Powerucc and I am going to give that one a try.
Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered two different brands, this is what I've done. Vico TF2+ and a Panorma2... Probably two of the best dash cams I've OWNED, very good bit rate, both capacitor and WDR.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I just want to get my money worth. One that'll last a while...take good videos. I kinda like one with two cameras on it if possible. Give me a link ... I love you guys.

Thanks.
I have few suggestions for your , but first let me know your budget.

Back