DR500GW-HD time & date always off

defbear said:
Hillbilly said:
While we are all speculating how the time is actually set it would be good if BLACKVUE came on here and told us exactly what it uses t set the date and time.

It seems to me that the program gets the original time off the host computer because when you first load it in the camera the time is correct(in most cases) without getting a GPS fix.

Therefore logically it is setting it off the computer as there is nowhere else for it to be. Await their reply with interest.

No sense in abusing them before we get an answer.

When you do a fresh install on a sd card it creates a set of files on the card. Click to blackvue\system and find two interesting files. One is new_update. It has a creation date of 7-25-13 and a time stamp of 10:15. Sound familiar? The other file is new_update.SUE. both file contain compiled Linix code. 1.008 does not get date info from the GPS, computer, wifi firmware settings.
Some jr programmer stuck the file date as a setting for 1.008 but oops forgot to ever update it.
How about abusing them if they don't answer.

If that is so why does it work for us and not you.

Doesnt seem logical as how does it know the date if installed at a later time and nothing tells it what the date and time actually is. Something must tell it at the time of update and then it might be an hour before you put it in the camera which is a different time again

They did answer on one of your other million threads to say they are looking at it. Do you expect an instant answer.

Hillbilly said:
defbear said:
Hillbilly said:
While we are all speculating how the time is actually set it would be good if BLACKVUE came on here and told us exactly what it uses t set the date and time.

It seems to me that the program gets the original time off the host computer because when you first load it in the camera the time is correct(in most cases) without getting a GPS fix.

Therefore logically it is setting it off the computer as there is nowhere else for it to be. Await their reply with interest.

No sense in abusing them before we get an answer.

When you do a fresh install on a sd card it creates a set of files on the card. Click to blackvue\system and find two interesting files. One is new_update. It has a creation date of 7-25-13 and a time stamp of 10:15. Sound familiar? The other file is new_update.SUE. both file contain compiled Linix code. 1.008 does not get date info from the GPS, computer, wifi firmware settings.
Some jr programmer stuck the file date as a setting for 1.008 but oops forgot to ever update it.
How about abusing them if they don't answer.

If that is so why does it work for us and not you.

Doesnt seem logical as how does it know the date if installed at a later time and nothing tells it what the date and time actually is. Something must tell it at the time of update and then it might be an hour before you put it in the camera which is a different time again

They did answer on one of your other million threads to say they are looking at it. Do you expect an instant answer.

No I don't expect an instant answer. But wouldn't it be nice if they came back with sometime more reassuring than "Will do" I have asked them to read every post on the subject and then respond. When they post something besides a two word answer I will listen.

Re: DR500GW-HD time & date are not correct

Hi, mine having the same symptoms as well.i got it month ago with the 32G card,original F/W version and i have noticed the time on my smartphone when i use Live function is 1-1-1970 but when i watch on my PC it is 14-3-2013. after contacting Pittasoft they told me to install Ver. 1008E, the date changed to 25-7-2013 but still not the correct date. the camera is VERY hot specialy the lens.When i watch the movie i see that the Map is ok so the GPS function is ok but the time and date are not updated from the SAT.

Military lol. I expect military to mean UTC at first glance, meaning timezone needs to be set. Do you mean 24 hour time? Many people use 24 hour time around the world. I guess not everyone.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

I've got it set to Pacific/Los Angeles and yes it's in the 24 hr format

topdawg said:
I've got it set to Pacific/Los Angeles and yes it's in the 24 hr format

All the Blackvue cameras use 24 hour time Its better as then no doubt that 1900 will be 7 pm and not someones camera who has set it 12 hours out as you can do with non GPS models

After so long, still no solutions~! Pittasoft is really slow~!

Okay, instead of relying on the GPS to set the date and time, this is what I did.

1) Took out SD card from camera
2) Plug SD card into Computer
3) Open Blackvue folder, then Open Recording Folder
4) Sort videos by last date recorded.
5) Rename the file as TODAY's Date and Time.
6) Insert SD card back into camera.

Live feed shows the time of recording starts from the moment you renamed the file.

You may want to give yourself a 2 minute advantage when renaming the files. This gives you time to dash back to the car on time.

Leon_Ascensor said:
Okay, instead of relying on the GPS to set the date and time, this is what I did.

Live feed shows the time of recording starts from the moment you renamed the file.

You may want to give yourself a 2 minute advantage when renaming the files. This gives you time to dash back to the car on time.

Leon,
This is only a temporary fix. I've used BlackVue's TimeSet.exe program which was meant for non-GPS models. We're essentially both doing the same thing setting time manually. If you disconnect your power for lets say an hour plug your unit back in you will notice it's an hour off. Unplug for two hours, plug it back in you will notice it's two hours off.

It must be something in BlackVue's firmware that's not using GPS to set time correctly.

dv8ed said:
Leon_Ascensor said:

Leon,
This is only a temporary fix. I've used BlackVue's TimeSet.exe program which was meant for non-GPS models. We're essentially both doing the same thing setting time manually. If you disconnect your power for lets say an hour plug your unit back in you will notice it's an hour off. Unplug for two hours, plug it back in you will notice it's two hours off.

It must be something in BlackVue's firmware that's not using GPS to set time correctly.

If the time is off when there is no power. Then your internal battery is dead.

I just changed the internal battery of the DR500GW and now the time stays correct and current when ever it is turned off and turn back on. The battery part # MS621FE. Very small and not easy to change unless you good at soldering.

defbear said:
Here is a link to the Mouser Catalog part:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sei ... WlxvZVNA==

How did you get the camera apart?

This will probably void the warranty but oh well...

First you will have to remove the end cap by pushing down on the tab here and push out the cap:
EndCap.JPG

EndCap2.JPG

Next you will have to pry off the cover of the other end. Edge of a knife will work just fine:
Screw.JPG

Next remove that one screw there. This is holding the cover from coming apart:
Screw2.JPG

Now just carefully take the two cover apart. Just don't take it apart too far, the speaker is attached to the cover. It is just stuck on there so you can carefully remove it from the cover:
Apart.JPG

You can then take out the board from the bottom cover by spreading the tabs apart that holds the board down. Also if you have to get the the internal battery the tow board separate and the battery is right there soldered on...and that's it.

Vien

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the same issue. My clock resets to 10:15 on 7/25/13 with the new update, but I noticed the time and date were off even before the update (by a week or more). So I'm guessing the internal battery is faulty? Does anybody have an email address for Pittasoft customer support, other than sales@pittasoft.com ? I sent a message to that address and received a read receipt in Korean, but no actual reply yet.

My unit was less than a year old. My best guess would be during one of those week long heat waves running camera in parking mode just got too hot it damaged battery. Videos still show correct GPS speed but I don't understand why after GPS locks it doesn't update/correct time... come on Pittasoft.
I don't want to ship camera overseas to where I bought it from to fix this issue, with insurance it may end up being $30+ USD.

I used official SDFormatter full wipe, installed latest v1.009E firmware/firmware updated fine, changed back to Pacific time zone, GPS has locked for a few hours each day for several days now. Time & date is still off, I'm not good at soldering so I don't want to risk making things worse.

My best guess would be during one of those week long heat waves running camera in parking mode ...
Agree. One day my camera got so hot I couldnt hold my hand on it, GPS stopped working (blue LED off, not showing speed). After it cooled over night, everything was OK again. Then the same thing happened in two days and since about that time I'm experiencing the above mentioned problems. (I currently live in the year 2034, time stops when the camera is off)

why after GPS locks it doesn't update/correct time... come on Pittasoft.
+1 Exactly.

Hi guys, have the same problem everyday. Kinda disappointing as I believe it could be either firmware or the battery due to extreme heat. Just like navigation systems failing as the batteries expand with the heat and fail. Every day I just have to hold down the wifi button for 10 seconds or untill it beeps and then formats the sd card. Then check the time and date afterwards. May sometimes have to do it twice. A bit time consuming but fixes it for a day.

I recently got this same problem. I have tried everything and notice I will need to format the SD card everytime after the cam power off to get the time from GPS signal. I guess like the other member said here, we need to change the internal battery. But what I piss off on Pittasoft is that...

1. If you can get the time right with a format SD card by using GPS signal, why wouldnt you update the time every time when you get a GPS signal. But instead using the stupid internal battery to keep the time? I do not know what the programmer here is thinking. May be he is sitting on his arse when designing the firmware

2. I am using magic pro with my cam. But once the time is up to cut off the battery and the cam shut off, the time will remain at the last know time in the memory card. I have a different Korean car cam in my other car, it will get time setting every time when it get GPS signal.

3. Fine, if you want to use internal battery to store the time, you should at least make the internal battery easy to exchange! Sending it back to deal for just change of battery? I had my cam less than a year only. How many times you expect us to send the cam back for a stupid battery exchange?

Conculsion: No more Pittasoft cam next time.

Mine has just started doing this now, it will commence the next time it powers from the date of the last file saved.
You can see in the log file that it does a compare of real time clock with something and if vastly different ignores rtc. It picks up GPS info fine but once it commences recording, it won't bother changing the clock! Only if you power cycle it in clear view of sky you might get lucky and it picks up GPS time prior to starting recording and will be fine until next time off (I guess it uses rtc and a journal to locate sats quickly, so a quick power cycle will mean it gets lock on relatively early in boot process and can rectify the rtc discrepancy then).
It would be better to code it to make the first file recorded after it has sat lock have the learned GPS time rather than stubbornly using last recorded file date/time for the whole time it runs!
Of course replacing the battery that maintains the RTC will ensure it doesn't operate like this but it is a pretty stupid bit of programming for a GPS enabled device to stubbornly refuse to adjust to the learned time! (I guess the GPS time is only used to set the RTC, which is only ever consulted at power up!! Dumb dumb).

Back