FakeOrangeGS1000 Firmware modification

robots

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi,

I have been playing with the firmware of the "fake orange GS1000"*. And ... I have been able to enable some features:
- more menus!!! (photo size, autoshooting, quality, metering mode, video section length, slowshooting, etc)
- selectable bitrate (quality L = 15Mbit/s, M = 12Mbit/s, s = 10Mbit/s) (original fw had 15mbit on each setting)
- Slowshooting - recording video at 1frame per 1,10,... seconds.
- photosize - 3/5Mpix

Get it here:
http://robot.mysteria.cz/gs1000/hd13up.20130105.bin

Update instructions:
- rename to "hd13up.bin"
- copy on sdcard
- turn on camera
- enjoy :)

I would love to have some feedback on the "new" features, as these were not programmed by me, i just rearranged the menus, so they are visible. And I am not sure if they all work (eg. autoshooting).

As always, you are responsible for your camera. Even though the thing is unbrickable, If you manage to brick it/it catches fire/runs away you are responsible. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing robots. Seems like some nice options, particularly the selectable bitrate.

There is another feature that can be enabled. WebCAM. I have it working as dirty hack, but it is not very user friendly, and the mass storage will stop working. The maximal resolution of the webcam is 640x480 and it uses mjpeg stream. Audio is also available, but video with audio cannot be used at the same time. the stream starts to get chopped. It seems that the webcam can be turned into uvc mode, that needs no driver at all in windows.

Hi robots,

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing these "undocumented" features.

hi robots, many thanks for sharing. its awesome.
could you please tell me/us how and with which progs you edited the firmware?

I used disassembler, hex editor, and one little script written in python for calculating of the checksum.

thanks for the info. my knowledge for that is too poor :)
Could u do me a favour and release a version that auto starts recording whenever it is turned on? Because i lost my 12v car plug and had to buy a new one. but the cam doesnt recognize its in car with that plug and i have to press record.... annoying
thank u in advance

It would be much simpler to modify the charging cable, so it "acts" as the original cable.

I have changed the firmware on my gs 5000 with your link.
But I think the video will be worse, not the same contrast but more grayish and less clear.
Unfortunately I saved not the old firmware.
I'm new to the forum so I do not know rilktigt if I can upload samples of films.
Do I have to put on yuotube and send the link?

Hi jakkso,

You can't post videos to the site due to the large size. The best is to post on youtube and share the link.

On my fake GS1000 the menu is somewhat messed up after "upgrade".
When just browsing in top level menu, everything is ok. But when I open something then some other text appears (like it was in the old menu). It's possible to make the selections but that is very confusing and irritating.

It's a nice that someone tries to improve those cameras and I support that. But the current release needs some work. I went back to the original firmware for now. But I keep an eye on this topic and maybe try it again when it's improved.

Autoshooting definitely doesn't work. Better to disabe it. Also I can't understand new "video secton". What's for this thing. Quality feature works allrigt.

serxx said:
On my fake GS1000 the menu is somewhat messed up after "upgrade".
When just browsing in top level menu, everything is ok. But when I open something then some other text appears (like it was in the old menu). It's possible to make the selections but that is very confusing and irritating.

It's a nice that someone tries to improve those cameras and I support that. But the current release needs some work. I went back to the original firmware for now. But I keep an eye on this topic and maybe try it again when it's improved.

This is only a tiny graphical error. It would take much more time to fix the menu and i probably wont be coming back to that again.

The camera HW is pretty nice, and there are lot of features that the software provides. But since i have no access to the serial port of the processor it makes any development pretty hard.

Here are 2 hires pictures of the inside:
Http://robot.mysteria.cz/gs1000/IMGP6183.JPG
Http://robot.mysteria.cz/gs1000/IMGP6184.JPG

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey just want to say thanks for this firmware. I bought a Dash camera off ebay, all I knew was too look for something with an Ambarella processor in it, so ended up with a GS2000 looking thing, orange menu. Quality of video was crap, so I opened it, sure enough it had an Ambarella in it, so that was good news, but the firmware version was a long number, not like the proper orange menus, so I decided I had a fake orange camera.

I couldn't get the firmware to back up, so I though I'm just going to go for it ans flash this fake orange firmware into it and hope for the best ........ it worked great, instead of a Lambo as the splash screen i get 2 motorbikes now and I was able to increase the bitrate from 8Mbit to 15Mbit which make a huge difference in quality. I live in the country where there are lots of trees on the edges of the roads and the low bit rate makes them look crap. So now I am happy with my fake orange Ambarella dash cam !

Hey just want to say thanks for this firmware. I bought a Dash camera off ebay, all I knew was too look for something with an Ambarella processor in it, so ended up with a GS2000 looking thing, orange menu. Quality of video was crap, so I opened it, sure enough it had an Ambarella in it, so that was good news, but the firmware version was a long number, not like the proper orange menus, so I decided I had a fake orange camera.

I couldn't get the firmware to back up, so I though I'm just going to go for it ans flash this fake orange firmware into it and hope for the best ........ it worked great, instead of a Lambo as the splash screen i get 2 motorbikes now and I was able to increase the bitrate from 8Mbit to 15Mbit which make a huge difference in quality. I live in the country where there are lots of trees on the edges of the roads and the low bit rate makes them look crap. So now I am happy with my fake orange Ambarella dash cam !
What is the firmware you installed, and where can I get a copy, Thanks

Hi

how can I save the original firmware to the SD Card?

What was the firmware you made this from? I could not backup my original firmware and could not upgrade to any other firmware except this one. This one seems like it fixed my camera from the odd red and black lines on the recorded video on sunny days that I think started from when I upgraded to the possible wrong firmware years ago.

The Firmware I installed was from the link at the top of this thread. I could not get a backup of my original firmware either, but took the risk and did the upgrade, it all went well thankfully.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D GSXXXX 0
R GSXXXX 0
newportshortie GSXXXX 4
C GSXXXX 0
P GSXXXX 4
Back