Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

garykaifong said:
Sigh! Mac users are always being discriminated ... @_@"

@garykaifong Have you tried using CrossOver 12.5? It will allow you to run Windows program in OSX environment. Not 100% sure whether it's compatible, see developer (codeweavers) site below:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

I just purchased it from Stacksocial, name your own price bundle (sale ends in 4 days)

Link https://stacksocial.com/

If you do try, let me know whether it worked out for you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I would like to ask that if I have this dash cam with GPS and 8 Gb built in, I still can extend with micro SD card right?
Thanks?

speed100 said:
Hi, I would like to ask that if I have this dash cam with GPS and 8 Gb built in, I still can extend with micro SD card right?
Thanks?

it has 8GB built in but there is still a card slot, you can put up to 32gb in, this will then be the memory used, it won't add to what it has

Reactions: Mtz
jokiin said:
speed100 said:
Thanks?

it has 8GB built in but there is still a card slot, you can put up to 32gb in, this will then be the memory used, it won't add to what it has

Ok, I see. Thanks!

Hi,
www.JooVuu.com is now stocking the mini 0801 camera. We are expecting them on Saturday and you can pre-order yours now. We are stocking both versions with and without GPS and both models come with free shipping to anywhere in the world. We are based in the UK/EU and therefore can ship domestically next working day and within 4 days to EU countries whilst other countries are about 5 days.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask at info@joovuu.com.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

ron9349 said:
garykaifong said:
Sigh! Mac users are always being discriminated ... @_@"

@garykaifong Have you tried using CrossOver 12.5? It will allow you to run Windows program in OSX environment. Not 100% sure whether it's compatible, see developer (codeweavers) site below:

I just purchased it from Stacksocial, name your own price bundle (sale ends in 4 days)

Link https://stacksocial.com/

If you do try, let me know whether it worked out for you ;)

Great idea!
I just tried the trial on my VMware Mac OS X Mountain Lion on my Win 8 laptop. It's partially working! Someone with a real Mac should try it though since I can't do any video stuff on VM version of Mac. (iMovie won't launch for example on VM) But yeah it has promise.
cYJrmpg.jpg

JooVuu said:
Hi,
http://www.JooVuu.com is now stocking the mini 0801 camera. We are expecting them on Saturday and you can pre-order yours now. We are stocking both versions with and without GPS and both models come with free shipping to anywhere in the world. We are based in the UK/EU and therefore can ship domestically next working day and within 4 days to EU countries whilst other countries are about 5 days.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask at info@joovuu.com.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Nice, a few people were asking if there were any UK retailers for the mini 0801. Check out page 2 of the comments here:
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/ ... creen.html (I let them know)
Someone was also interested in a wide angle lens version of the Mobius and I see you have that for sale too (nice) I heard they are going to have a capacitor in place of a battery for car operation too. (smart)

In other news, I let firmware 20130903 record all night and into the afternoon, it's rock-solid. (recycles no problem)

I recorded driving around today and turned my car on/off at least 20 times and everything is still rock solid. (auto on record, auto off, recycles files on full card etc)

I've noticed file size and bitrates vary.
1 minute = 81.9MB if it's dark or you're not moving.
1 minute = 102.4MB if it's daylight and you're moving around.

Bitrate must be set to variable on 20130903 because varies from 10Mbps-13Mbps

Made another fun 16x sped up video via RegistratorViewer, but it seems Youtube is bogged down/broken today.
After I upload I'm getting: "This is taking longer than expected. Your video has been queued and will be processed as soon as possible" (I tried multiple times)

Yeah. It works on Mac using vm. I use parallels. Used to use VMware. Both work with registrator viewer fine. Wish it was native mac. Or there is an iOS app than can read the micro SD Card using the SD Card camera lightning adaptor.

onemanshow said:
Yeah. It works on Mac using vm. I use parallels. Used to use VMware. Both work with registrator viewer fine. Wish it was native mac. Or there is an iOS app than can read the micro SD Card using the SD Card camera lightning adaptor.

If your main computer is a mac, and you run Windows in the VM of course it will work :) That's the recommended way.
My main computer is a Windows PC, and I'm running Mac in the VM (which is quite limited, no proper video drivers = no iMovie or no RegistratorViewer)
I'm just curious to get it working for everyone else. No having to maintain windows and still being able to launch RegistratorViewer on a Mac would be an easy work around.
If it works, I can let Vadim know to update his website for people to know about it.

garykaifong said he didn't want to install windows on his Mac in VM so that's where CodeWeavers CrossRoads possibly comes in. (see my last screen shot)

Can you give it a try? (CrossRoads)

Why would you need or want to use the camera kit adapter on the Mac? Just use a microSD/SD to USB adapter. They are like $1 on ebay. (best to get a USB 3.0 version though)

JazJon said:
onemanshow said:

If your main computer is a mac, and you run Windows in the VM of course it will work :) That's the recommended way.
My main computer is a Windows PC, and I'm running Mac in the VM (which is quite limited, no proper video drivers = no iMovie or no RegistratorViewer)
I'm just curious to get it working for everyone else. No having to maintain windows and still being able to launch RegistratorViewer on a Mac would be an easy work around.
If it works, I can let Vadim know to update his website for people to know about it.

garykaifong said he didn't want to install windows on his Mac in VM so that's where CodeWeavers CrossRoads possibly comes in. (see my last screen shot)

Can you give it a try? (CrossRoads)

Why would you need or want to use the camera kit adapter on the Mac? Just use a microSD/SD to USB adapter. They are like $1 on ebay. (best to get a USB 3.0 version though)

.....uhm, because I already have them (camera kit adapter for iPad)? And I was talking about an App on iOS not Mac. :)

Okay, Kapeesh re Crossroads, etc. Will try that later sometime. Next 24 hours are rough cause of work and other family commitments. Don't have much time to myself to tinker. Keeping abreast via Tapatalk (iPhone/iPad) where possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

onemanshow said:
.....uhm, because I already have them (camera kit adapter for iPad)? And I was talking about an App on iOS not Mac. :)

Okay, Kapeesh re Crossroads, etc. Will try that later sometime. Next 24 hours are rough cause of work and other family commitments. Don't have much time to myself to tinker. Keeping abreast via Tapatalk (iPhone/iPad) where possible.

If your iPhone is jailbroken you can import .MOV files via the Camera Connection Kit.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&hilit=camera+connection+kit+iphone&start=260#p23837
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&p=23840&hilit=camera+connection+kit+iphone#p23840

News is Jailbreak is nearly ready for iOS 7, so I should be able to upgrade and stay jailbroken at the same time.

I plan on using my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 until it's ready so I can stay jailbroken. (so many fun things I can do!)

But back on topic, I have the camera connection kit on order (cheap from dx.com)
I'll post on if I was able to import .MOV files from the 0801 microSD card directly to my iPhone. (once my camera connection kit arrives)

I'd rather have a real DashCam with WiFi iOS app though of course! (blackview sucks, and Vicovation VICO-WF1 has no reviews yet)

Would have bought the VICO, but it's waaaay overpriced. Could buy two or more Mini 0801s for the price being asked. Sorry, not enough disposable income. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just made this with RegistratorViewer today. You'll see me playing around with the new CPL filter.

RegistratorViewer x16 Speed Test Mini 0801 Firmware 20130903

Here's the raw MP4 & SRT file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzyncqljhjwjm7l/Fragment of AMBA1285-1306 (4-15-17 PM - 4-29-08 PM).mp4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdddpd68ooru40f/Fragment of AMBA1285-1306 (4-15-17 PM - 4-29-08 PM).srt

Youtube isn't very good with these fast motion videos. (blocky re-compression as you can see) The RV SRT overlap problem is back, so I just let Vadim know.

Last edited:
I'm ready to order this sucker (the DVR 207 is going back) but aliexpress won't ship to WA and I can't figure out which e-prance ebay listing comes with the newest firmware installed. I contacted the seller but haven't heard back yet. Can anyone who ordered theirs help out with a link? I'm looking for one with GPS and 8GB internal (not sure I'm gonna need it but might become more usable in the future with new firmware updates). Much appreciated. Otherwise I might just stick with Givoe on aliexpress (cheaper than e-prance anyway) and have it shipped to a buddy in OR.

c_licious said:
I'm ready to order this sucker (the DVR 207 is going back) but aliexpress won't ship to WA and I can't figure out which e-prance ebay listing comes with the newest firmware installed. I contacted the seller but haven't heard back yet. Can anyone who ordered theirs help out with a link? I'm looking for one with GPS and 8GB internal (not sure I'm gonna need it but might become more usable in the future with new firmware updates). Much appreciated. Otherwise I might just stick with Givoe on aliexpress (cheaper than e-prance anyway) and have it shipped to a buddy in OR.
Are you saying Aliexpress is intentionally not shipping to the state of Washington? lol, never heard of something like that. You're doing something wrong. Why would it discriminate by state?

ciuvak said:
c_licious said:
Are you saying Aliexpress is intentionally not shipping to the state of Washington? lol, never heard of something like that. You're doing something wrong. Why would it discriminate by state?

Yeah that makes no sense, Aliepxress isn't a company by the way, it's a portal for resellers. Are you using reseller Givoe? Try this link.

eprance has the new 8gb internal one +GPS with new MOV firmware too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161103549489

JazJon said:
ciuvak said:
c_licious said:

Yeah that makes no sense, Aliepxress isn't a company by the way, it's a portal for resellers. Are you using reseller Givoe? Try this link.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html

eprance has the new 8gb internal one +GPS with new MOV firmware too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0801-Ambar ... 2582851431

The problem is that aliexpress' escrow service isn't licensed in some of the US States (mostly West side), WA being one of them, so they can't conduct business in these states regardless of which seller you choose. It's been a known problem for a couple of years now, it's beyond me why they haven't fixed it yet. Having said that, e-prance actually got back to me 10 minutes after posting (go figure) and according to them all of the cameras they offer now come with the newest firmware. Guess I'll be ordering one tonight :D

Thanks for the links and the help!

c_licious said:
The problem is that aliexpress' escrow service isn't licensed in some of the US States (mostly West side), WA being one of them, so they can't conduct business in these states regardless of which seller you choose. It's been a known problem for a couple of years now, it's beyond me why they haven't fixed it yet. Having said that, e-prance actually got back to me 10 minutes after posting (go figure) and according to them all of the cameras they offer now come with the newest firmware. Guess I'll be ordering one tonight :D

Thanks for the links and the help!

Wow had no idea, interesting. eprance and givoe both have outstanding communication and response times.

I think you made a good choice, Welcome to Club 0801 !

:)Ooo new DashCamTalk Forum format, looks like all past URL's & youtube links need to be manually fixed. :confused: (I just edited/change my last post on page 29)

I re-subscribed via the new options too.

After much deliberation - I am going to dump my fake f900 and get an 0801 (black bullet? in the UK).
www.carcamerachoices.co.uk has one but its a bit dearer than the trade type websites - at least its in the UK though.

After much deliberation - I am going to dump my fake f900 and get an 0801 (black bullet? in the UK).
www.carcamerachoices.co.uk has one but its a bit dearer than the trade type websites - at least its in the UK though.

there was another UK seller mentioned a day or so ago that had it cheaper, 85 pounds with the GPS or 70 pounds without, you might have to dig around a bit to find it though as the forum software has just been changed over today

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back