Which surface tape?

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
Hi guys

I'm wanting to have some backup 3M VHB double coated surface tape, the stuff that comes on dashcam mounts that are for permanent fitting. From the website below, does anyone know which version I need?

Shop link

Here's what I used on my mini 0801
http://dx.com/p/double-sided-foam-adhesive-tape-black-5m-134299
It's only $3 USD (no tax, free shipping)

sku_134299_2.jpg

The 3M stuff is probably better but it got the job done.

Here's what I used on my mini 0801
http://dx.com/p/double-sided-foam-adhesive-tape-black-5m-134299
It's only $3 USD (no tax, free shipping)

sku_134299_2.jpg

The 3M stuff is probably better but it got the job done.

I used the generic "heavy duty" double sided tape, but on the first hot day we had I found my DVR on the floor. This stuff is just not reliable.

I searched for "affordable" 3M VHB tape but stockist would only sell it by the roll, several hundreds of dollars $$$$$ worth.

I eventually found a great alternative that is also great with heat and comes in a pack with 12 convenient size mounting tabs, http://permaproducts.com/products/d...ltra-bond/ultrabond-exterior-tabs-12-30x30mm/ .

Excellent adhesion :D and very affordable. Purchased from my local hardware store in Australia (Bunnings)

Cheers :) Mario

Brilliant Mario, I'll pop down to my local bunnings.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

There's also product by Tarzan's Grip (remember them?) Which is meant to be similar to the 3M product, I haven't used it personally but might be worth a look, Bunnings stock it also

Thanks fellas, I'll perhaps buy both. Its more of a backup measure. I also carry spare power for my dash cams in the car, since I have them spare they are better of in the boot secured just in case.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

An interesting alternative to permanent double sided tape is Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners. It is a "Velcro like" product but far more aggressive and secure. I've used this stuff as replacement tape for the otherwise permanent windshield mount for a DR32 when I had to move the mount which rendered the old tape useless. At first I tried a similar product called Velcro Extreme Titanium which also has a very strong grip but I found that despite the aggressive grip it allows the dashcam to wobble slightly on bumpy roads. The Scotch product by contrast was rock solid once the camera was mounted. The advantage of a product like this of course is the ability to easily remove the dashcam from the windshield when needed. Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners are pretty expensive but worth the money.

3M tape is available by the Metre from 3M warehouse at Yatala on the Gold Coast in Queensland I bought a Metre of the clear high temperature stuff for $20 Still have a few Cm left.
You only get a single strip for that and have to double it to use it.

Havent seen the really good commercial grade like I got in the shops here

Back