DR 550/650 too hot for Texas summer?

scooterbee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering a Blackvue 550/650 for my car in Texas. Does anybody have first hand experience with these units in warmer climates? Can the cameras be damaged or do they just fail to operate properly? I like this unit for everything that it is … but heat issues scare me from taking the financial plunge.

Ive had the 550 for a whole summer now in Arizona heat and its been holding up fine even with the 116 degrees and car outside while working.

Ive had the 550 for a whole summer now in Arizona heat and its been holding up fine even with the 116 degrees and car outside while working.
Wow hackztor! Great news. I am pretty sure Arizona heat beats Texas heat … so thanks for the observation report. Any others?

We have just spent 3 months in Canada and USA east coast and across the south. My DR500 performed perfectly in temps from -2 in Canada to over 112 in Texas and Arizona.

In one place the suction cup on the GPS actually melted to the windscreen around the edges but camera was still going.

Was pretty hot to touch but still operating.

The other day my dr550 was too hot to touch while sitting in the sun and recording in parking mode I was like no way this thing is still working properly, but sure enough when I checked it recorded perfect up till I took the card out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Peter Wilson DR550GW-2CH 55
Back