550 Interference with DAB radio?!!

Try looking at the wire used with the GPS magnetic extensions.

Update after further testing:
The new cable definitely makes a difference compared to the old and is a huge step forward. It does affect DVB-T when signals are weak................

maybe you should add the ferrit rings to the new cable.
ferrit rings are always your best friend in HF problems :)
can you try that please.

i can test the new cable maybe at the next weekend.

I was really hoping this issue would get resolved as I have been holding off buying the 550 :(

maybe you should add the ferrit rings to the new cable.
ferrit rings are always your best friend in HF problems :)
can you try that please.

i can test the new cable maybe at the next weekend.

I will try with the ferrit rings again (I was expecting not having to use it again :( ). I am waiting for your professional testing :) Are you doing your tests using this setup http://blog.domestichacks.info/2012/09/sdr-rtl2832u-funk/?

so do we still not have any definitive answers if this new cable really does work or not ?

The new cable does improve things, although it does not eliminate the interference completely. This could also differ from car to car on how much it causes interruptions in DAB/DVBT reception

Can't risk buying one of these again without knowing the new cable is 100%. Went out and bought the 500. No problem with DAB no plug snapping off inside the 550 as it was such tight fit. If they can't fix it with the cable they will have to change the whole thing. Maybe the next model.

The next option is to setup your own cable. These are the specs of cable and adapter pin used by Blackvue

1 x RG-174 Co-Axial Cable - 5 meters
2 x MCX Pin 50 Ω

In Germany, you could buy it in Conrad, following the links above. If you buy good quality ones as above, it should definitely be better shielded than what Blackvue is providing.

Interesting, I did like my 550 but sent it back because it completely knocked out my DAB so am unable to make my own cable and test it now. Having said that I would go out and buy another one if it fixed the DAB problem. I would be careful plugging in next time mine was so tight it pulled out the socket when I unplugged.

With the new cables I could now completely get rid of the interference problem. I added just one ferrit ring close to the rear cam and the interference has completely disappeared. I took the smallest ferrit core with diameter same as the thickness of the cable and closed the core without any loop. DVB-T reception has no difference now with and without the cam on. Thanks Pittasoft for the near perfect work.

If any one needs a pic, I could click one tomorrow.

I have not managed to rip the car apart the weather here has been really bad. sorry chaps. Might be better tomorrow

With the new cables I could now completely get rid of the interference problem. I added just one ferrit ring close to the rear cam and the interference has completely disappeared. I took the smallest ferrit core with diameter same as the thickness of the cable and closed the core without any loop. DVB-T reception has no difference now with and without the cam on. Thanks Pittasoft for the near perfect work.

If any one needs a pic, I could click one tomorrow.

That's really good news .... As the cash is burning a hole in my pocket that I have for this ... Can you link details of the ferrit you have used ??

That's really good news .... As the cash is burning a hole in my pocket that I have for this ... Can you link details of the ferrit you have used ??

The ferrit core is used is this one.

How far the interference affects the signals could differ from car to car based on the location of antenna etc. You could buy the cam, set it up and if you are not happy return it within your return period.

On a BMW 5-series, the ferrit and the new cable did the job. Attached are some pics

20140215_154048.png
20140215_154101.jpg
20140215_154111.jpg

Peter are you planning on useing ferrets ??

I am not But I am having issues with a slightly less Sensitive system e.g. analogue radio interference, hiss and fading signal , my AF, TA, basically the Full RDS is having issues. The systems are down most off the time. and I cant hear the radio 60-70% of the time it is pure hiss. Obviously the DAB systems are fully digital and requires a perfect signal to receive 1,200,000 (1.2 million ish) 1's and 0's per second (or whatever it works out at I cant clearly remember), as with Mobile phones digital killed long range and made a low signal area a no go area where as with analogue you could still understand and hear the people talking even about 20 miles from the base. just it had additional noise in the background. I should know I could get a signal in the Underground with my analogue Motorola 888 full gain setup. now the signal has gone as soon as I get near the tunnel.

GOD help this planet if a Mass Magnetic pulse hits the world from the sun, analogue can be listened to with a few basic bits of wire. imagine trying to build a Home digital decoder....

Anyway, I have had three full days of Busy caring duties and fixing mates electrics and heating so I will be testing and videoing tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am not But I am having issues with a slightly less Sensitive system e.g. analogue radio interference, hiss and fading signal , my AF, TA, basically the Full RDS is having issues. The systems are down most off the time. and I cant hear the radio 60-70% of the time it is pure hiss. Obviously the DAB systems are fully digital and requires a perfect signal to receive 1,200,000 (1.2 million ish) 1's and 0's per second (or whatever it works out at I cant clearly remember), as with Mobile phones digital killed long range and made a low signal area a no go area where as with analogue you could still understand and hear the people talking even about 20 miles from the base. just it had additional noise in the background. I should know I could get a signal in the Underground with my analogue Motorola 888 full gain setup. now the signal has gone as soon as I get near the tunnel.

GOD help this planet if a Mass Magnetic pulse hits the world from the sun, analogue can be listened to with a few basic bits of wire. imagine trying to build a Home digital decoder....

Anyway, I have had three full days of Busy caring duties and fixing mates electrics and heating so I will be testing and videoing tomorrow.

Is this with the old cable Peter ? or are you still having the same issue with the new cable ?

Anthony

Is this with the old cable Peter ? or are you still having the same issue with the new cable ?

Anthony
Haven't had a Chance. Trying to find time to pull all my roof lining apart and not get wet with this rain is proving hard. I hope to have it sorted tonight I am going to do it and leave both cables in place then review with my digital camera. swapping cables half way through. I am hoping to get a video in the an area where its quiet and I don't have loads of traffic noise. I know a good road but its not quite local, I am heading up that way Monday.

Haven't had a Chance. Trying to find time to pull all my roof lining apart and not get wet with this rain is proving hard. I hope to have it sorted tonight I am going to do it and leave both cables in place then review with my digital camera. swapping cables half way through. I am hoping to get a video in the an area where its quiet and I don't have loads of traffic noise. I know a good road but its not quite local, I am heading up that way Monday.

Thanks for the reply Peter ... What car do you have your system in ? I have an A4 and wondered if there was also a better route to run the cable to help reduce interference ?

Thanks for the reply Peter ... What car do you have your system in ? I have an A4 and wondered if there was also a better route to run the cable to help reduce interference ?
I am in a Vauxhall Frontera 4x4, its a twat to get the wire out as being a mechanic I have run it along the top of the head lining from the front then down to the lower wiring loom and back up at the back under the rear seat belts and up to the rear heated glass harness then wrapped it into the flexi through the rear light then to the camera, bit of a bastard to remove and install.
got to remove the front mirror connector for the interior lights, its a coil of wire and the cameras power and rear camera cables are threaded up the center of this. I might take some photos but every time I go out to work on it its raining.

Back