90 degree or sideways conversion

willy510

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to mount the mobius on the side of my helmet but didn't want it to stick out so with the small lens extension cable and a bit of case trimming you can rotate the camera module 90 degrees in the case and it still fits in the mount cradle.
You have to move the cmos module to the front slot of the case, trim off the rear tabs and make a slot for the ribbon to go through and enlarge the front opening a little. I used a small drill and square file to make the slots in the case for the camera ears to stick out.

Also put a piece of wind foam in front of the mic to help with wind noise.

Lens will stick out a little more when done

I plan on spraying it with Plastdip to help with moisture and dust but don't expect it to be waterproof.
It doesn't stick out any further than my intercom on the other side of my helmet. I used an extra mount left over from my intercom to make the stick on mount pad.

Thanks, I was just looking at that website last night :) , I just finished drawing up a lens holder to machine out of delrin. It should just press on the lens module and hold the lens protector. I just have to wait till I have the lens in hand so I don't have to make it twice :D

Thanks, I was just looking at that website last night :) , I just finished drawing up a lens holder to machine out of delrin. It should just press on the lens module and hold the lens protector. I just have to wait till I have the lens in hand so I don't have to make it twice :D

Glad to hear that. I live on a dirt road in a rural area and between that and the sand they apply to the paved roads here even my truck windshield gets covered with tiny pock marks to the point where it really needs to be replaced. A camera lens wouldn't last a week on a bike.

I was wondering how or if I could twist the lens though 90 degrees and still keep the camera looking "right" I see now that I can - THANKS!
I wonder if there would be a market for 90 degree Mobius's?

Frank

I was wondering how or if I could twist the lens though 90 degrees and still keep the camera looking "right" I see now that I can - THANKS!
I wonder if there would be a market for 90 degree Mobius's?

Frank

All they need to do is sell a 90 degree case to replace. I'm gonna try to design one and print it on my 3D printer but I'm not much a CAD'ing guy.

Thanks for posting your write-up.

I used some rubber-bands to attach my mobius to a headband, and walked around for a bit. I really liked the low weight and the low profile. It's a lot better than a GoPro sticking out of my forehead. I will try this 90-degree modification, and should have a good walking-around cam.

Thanks again Willy for posting the photos.

Is this also your write-up on ADVrider.com? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985657&page=4

I did this mod tonight. I bought my Mobius with a Lens C v3. I had to modify the case a bit more than your photos because the PCB board of the CMOS sensor seems to be a bit wider than the Lens A.

I will try to post some photos later this week.

Also, with the 2" extension cable, I was able to remove the OEM ribbon cable that was already attached to the lens. It seemed much easier to fit the lens without having to fold up the ribbon cable.

Back