Blackvue DR600GW-HD arrived today

Estoril Sport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S 2CH
Earlier than expected my new DR600GW-HD arrived today. First impressions it looks nicer than the previous model being in black with a nice touch of blue band around on the lens housing.

However I can no see much improvement in the quality as compared to the 500GW-HD it replaces.

Video output
Screen size: 1920 x 1080
Data rate: 9773kbps
Frame rate 29 fps
Audio 23kbps mono
Audio sample rate 8kHz

So the sound is still poor quality, the brightness is still too sensitive, frequently changing being too dark to too light and occasionally the white balance is a bit off. Also the DR600GW-HD kept losing GPS signal. and when it was working the positioning of the car on the map was not on road ????

The DR600GW-HD does formally accept 64Gb mini SD cards, these are formatted at FAT32

So not great :(

Last edited:
How disappointing. I'm hoping the next gen would be smaller, more discrete, no fancy blue neon lights, doesn't overheat and better quality.

It's almost 2015. Blackvue is stuck in 2001.

I learned my lesson with the DR500GW, can't say I'm at all surprised (sadly)

Hi! I'm new here, please go easy on me. ;)

Upgrading from the DR500GW-HD I ordered my DR600GW-HD thinking it was 2.4mp. However receiving it today, after opening the packet I noticed it had a sticker with "2mp" over the hard printed 2.4mp. My reaction was pretty much: WT*! I'm wondering what gives.

38FK6y.png

I thought they were meant to be using a Sony Exmor sensor that was 2mp anyway, maybe the 2.4 marking was an error???

I thought they were meant to be using a Sony Exmor sensor that was 2mp anyway, maybe the 2.4 marking was an error???
I thought so too, but considering the price it is probably not so

Thanks guys. I didn't save the web pages when I preordered mine, but all that I could see at that time was "2.4", and I thus ordered the 600 instead of the 650 as it's an easier install for me to move my old 500 to the back with a spare socket that I have there.

I can still find references to the 600 featuring 2.4 , e.g. http://camabord.com/en/blackvue/74-blackvue-dr600gw-hd-16go-blackvue-france.html

However on the official page, we can see that the 600 has 2.0 and the 650 a 2.4 sensor.
http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=27

It's a pretty big spec change to silently slip in I'd say... It's dark here now in Australia, so have only done a quick recording in the dark and cannot comment on the quality yet - however the bitrate is 9875kbps, i.e. the same as the 500.

all things being equal a 2mp sensor would be better than a 2.4mp anyway, not sure which sensors they are using though, they seem to have used a mix of different components in these models, time will tell if that's a good or bad thing

all things being equal a 2mp sensor would be better than a 2.4mp anyway, not sure which sensors they are using though, they seem to have used a mix of different components in these models, time will tell if that's a good or bad thing

I share that opinion

Very interesting; would you mind sharing why, Alex and Jokiin? I.e. are you expecting less noise in the sensor?
For me it boils down to whether the image quality was improved at all for the 600, other than through the more narrow FOV.

Also I had issues with my 500 i.e. from time to time it'd get stuck on the dreaded stuck on green light in the boot. So was going to send the 500 back to Blackvue Aus for a paid repair and then install it in the back, after first getting the 600 settled in to the front.

At least I can confirm the mount is exactly the same, so it was just a matter of popping the new one in. I will eventually change the mounts over as I do like the all black a lot better.

dr600 - what price?

I've received confirmation on the fact that the image sensor in the 600 was downspecced at the last minute. The improved sensor was reserved for dual channel 650 only. Yeah, I think it's fair enough to be unimpressed by this decision.

Place where I got it from have given me the option of returning my unit and paying the difference to get the 650, however I'm honestly not sure if it's going to be worth the bother. I would probably still use my existing 500 as the rear camera, as it will be better than the 720p rear unit of the 650 anyway. So it seems like a lot of hassle, for little gain. What do you think, right decision to stay with the 600?

At least I have 64gb now and the reduced FOV is one I welcome. I haven't done a proper a-b but for some reason I found footage taken nearly a year ago taken in almost exactly the same spot and with quite similar conditions, so why not share - the difference is subtle.

drw600.PNG

drw500.PNG

Back