Date/Time Issue (I think), but want others quick opinions...

deutsche_mak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
Quick question about the date/time. I have a DR500 and has worked well over the last year. The date and time have gone from being current to showing only 1/26/2030 over the past few days. The car is driven about 20 minutes, then turned off. I unplug the unit because I don't have the PowerMagic set up yet, and I really don't want to drain the battery. I'm thinking that I may have an onboard battery issue as the GPS and speed indicators work ok. It is just the date and time.

Need your thoughts as to how I can remedy this. I read that the onboard battery needs charging? If so, do I only need to run the car on a short trip (say 30-60 minutes)? If not, do I need to change the battery?

Thanks for the help!

Have you reset the thing eg full foramt the camera and update the firmware with the same version. it may be that its had a crash. other thing is have you checked if your car is outputting enough power to charge your battery. the blackvue has been knowen to have date and time issues when a low voltage is applied.

It doesn't have a battery as such It has a 'Super capacitor" and may not be charging up fully or have died due to your short runs.

However my car only gets used about once a fortnight and camera is still going ok after 2 years

talking about your cars alternator charging the cars battery ok... input voltage can cause the camera to not have enough voltage to make the blackvue keep the time and date right, i know i used a old battery to test this when the voltage drops to below 12 volts the date resets to 1/1/2016 etc random years nearly always the first of the first. it was down to my battery not keeping charge.

When your car is running the alternator should be outputting 14 volts and so there will be plenty to run the camera.

A fully charged car battery should have 13.8V

Even if the battery drops below 12v the cap should retain the settings for quite some time.

If the cap in the camera has carked it it will lose its settings but not because of the car voltage.

My 400's battery died and it still worked and recorded but didnt retain settings for date etc as car only gets used a couple of days a week.

I replaced the battery in it and now it works fine. It sat for 9 weeks in the car without any power and still retained settings

When I came back from holiday my other car battery was flat and I had put the camera in it.

It didnt lose settings and I only got car going 3 days later. Would suggest its a camera fault but you could try it in another car for a week to check.

Back