Does LK-7900 w/ GPS need external antenna or is it internal? can I dash mount the external antenna?

SoCalCJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does LK-7900 w/ GPS need external antenna or is it internal?, and will the external make a good difference in accuracy of location? and can I mount the external antenna inside the dash, up top, close to windshield, so signal only has o come through the glass and a little layer of plastic...

I don't wanna mount it on the roof like the old Garmin external antenna, like a second XM Sat antenna..
RSVP please help the rookie newbie thanks

Ok I was told one 7900 does need a external antenna and one has a internal GPS antenna....
But even if you get the one with the internal antenna if you later add a OBD II , you will have to change the mount to make the port available for the OBD II, in doing so it will block the GPS internal so you will have to add a external GPS antenna...

.so if you add OBDII to a 7900 with the internal GPS antenna you will have to add a external GPS antenna....

Also I was told yes you can mount the external GPS Antenna inside the dash as long as metal is not blocking the line of sight to the sky

It depends if you have the LK-7900 ACE or the ARA. I just ordered and installed the 7900 ACE which has built in GPS. My ACE picks up just fine and is very accurate so far. You might ask Kelvin, who is a member here also username Blackboxed.ca and has excellent customer service so far!

Back