DR500GW-HD time & date always off

dv8ed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it when GPS signal locks then BlackVue DR500GW-HD sets time & date?

My time and date was set to March for some reason. I've done the SD card formatting etc but it always sets to March.

I used the BlackVue Time software to set correct time that works, I've checked the videos but when I put my BlackVue away at the car wash for an hour then re-connected back time was an hour behind. It was 11am on the videos when it was supposed to be 12noon.

dv8ed said:
Is it when GPS signal locks then BlackVue DR500GW-HD sets time & date?

My time and date was set to March for some reason. I've done the SD card formatting etc but it always sets to March.

I used the BlackVue Time software to set correct time that works, I've checked the videos but when I put my BlackVue away at the car wash for an hour then re-connected back time was an hour behind. It was 11am on the videos when it was supposed to be 12noon.

Have u got it on the right time zone and have you driven it around for a half hour or so to let the GPS find where it actually is. You dont need the time setting program That is for NON GPS models.
The GPS sets the time according to the time zone you set it to in the settings. IE Los Angeles and Salt Lake City will be an hour different

Yes Pacific time zone... wow that long okay I will try again on Monday when I go to work it's about a 20 minute drive. I park in the garage and when I start driving usually within 5 minutes the blue GPS signal comes on if that means anything.

Is there any reset I can do? Maybe I have to wait for the next firmware update?

So there's no internal battery for real time clock or anything? Once we cut power time & date is gone? That internal battery is only for video recording etc.. ?

dv8ed said:
Yes Pacific time zone... wow that long okay I will try again on Monday when I go to work it's about a 20 minute drive. I park in the garage and when I start driving usually within 5 minutes the blue GPS signal comes on if that means anything.

Is there any reset I can do? Maybe I have to wait for the next firmware update?

So there's no internal battery for real time clock or anything? Once we cut power time & date is gone? That internal battery is only for video recording etc.. ?

Read the threads There IS an internal battery
And it does hold the power for the camera to finish recording when power is lost.

Once the GPS gets its initial position it fires up fairly quickly and sets the time correctly then.

As I said U DONT NEED THE TIMESET PROGRAM.

Set the timezone for Los Angeles or Frisco and it will be correct Cant remember if you have daylight saving time or not Was May when I was there

GPS led turns blue after a few minutes... MPH shows speed in video after GPS locks but time still does not get corrected. Time resumes from when it was last set.

Anyone else have any ideas? Any reset that I can do?

I've already formatted the SD card, insert into BlackVue it says preparing/formatting then it restarts the SD card puts all the software/folders back etc. It's weird GPS still shows correct speed but time is not correct.

dv8ed said:
GPS led turns blue after a few minutes... MPH shows speed in video after GPS locks but time still does not get corrected. Time resumes from when it was last set.

Anyone else have any ideas? Any reset that I can do?

I've already formatted the SD card, insert into BlackVue it says preparing/formatting then it restarts the SD card puts all the software/folders back etc. It's weird GPS still shows correct speed but time is not correct.

As I said have you set the timezone correctly If its not it will give incorrect time as GPs sets according to the timezone as an offset from GMT

When I went to USAI forgot to change it and got time about 18 hours out as it thought camera was still in AUS

Timezone set to America/Los_Angeles Pacific Time

Like I've said before it resumes from the last time it left off. I was looking at the files when camera shuts off at 12pm, I come back to car at 2pm it resumes from 12pm. If camera was shut off at 3pm, I start camera at 8pm it resumes from 3pm. It resumes from where it last left off.

dv8ed said:

Like I've said before it resumes from the last time it left off. I was looking at the files when camera shuts off at 12pm, I come back to car at 2pm it resumes from 12pm. If camera was shut off at 3pm, I start camera at 8pm it resumes from 3pm. It resumes from where it last left off.

Send it back its faulty then

Before you do delete the contents of the Record folder and try it again

dv8ed said:

Look in your config file Time zone should read 126 for Pacific time Go for a run for an hour or so to see if the internal battery charges up

My car only gets used less than once a week but have always had correct date and time as satellite sets it when it gets a lock

Hi,

Have exactly the same problem here
Firmware 1.005 Eng

Used different timezones
Tried to format
Tried to configure from iphone application
Tried to edit config file manually

But timezone is not a problem
Problem is that it's always put 1970.01.01 date
And after GPS signal received, files saves using 14.03.2013 (March 2013) date
But if i'am watching live video over wi-fi, it still shows 01.01.1970 date

Device is only month old

I guess there is a problem with overheating, this days too hot - 42C deg.
And when took device off car, it was very hot itself and SD card was even hotter, can't even touch by fingers.
Perhaps problem with real-time clock battery on board.

UPD: tried new firmware 1.008E, it changes date from 14.03.2013 to 25.07.2013, but anyway date and time is incorrect, even when it catches GPS signal

By the way, looks like problem solved
I've tried another SD card from my old phone - 1Gb microSD
And now time and date are correct!

But when i put my original card, came from DR500 box, time and date are still incorrect!
Of course i've tried to format card by SD formatter
Tried to delete files from Record and System folders
Tried to leave device turned on for about 1 hour, to catch GPS signal

Not sure what should i do with my original SD card, to make time and date work correctly, perhaps only replacement will solve problem

KoreanDVR said:
By the way, looks like problem solved
I've tried another SD card from my old phone - 1Gb microSD
And now time and date are correct!

But when i put my original card, came from DR500 box, time and date are still incorrect!
Of course i've tried to format card by SD formatter
Tried to delete files from Record and System folders
Tried to leave device turned on for about 1 hour, to catch GPS signal

Not sure what should i do with my original SD card, to make time and date work correctly, perhaps only replacement will solve problem

Format your original card with Sd formatter doing a FULL FORMAT ERASE That should wipe it clean as in brand new Download this program and test your card for being a real one

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

Last edited by a moderator:
KoreanDVR said:
unfortunately it (full erase) doesn't help
Test it with that program and see what it says If it gives errors chances are its a fake

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 9.37 MByte/s
Reading speed: 10.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

KoreanDVR said:
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 9.37 MByte/s
Reading speed: 10.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
Guess you bin it and buy a new one but make sure its a genuine one If a Sandisk box should have a hologram on it

Saw another answer briefly but its gone Just because it came with the camera doesnt mean its a genuine brand name card . They probably buy 1000 on contract from someone.

If Blackvue can not use off the shelf sd cards then it is (just lacking). The programmers at Blackvue can not get their camera to catch the date and time. Blackvue cameras are useless as black boxes if the cannot solve what should be a minor issue. You can not use a Blackvue camera as a witness in court without the proper date and time being displayed.

KoreanDVR said:
UPD: tried new firmware 1.008E, it changes date from 14.03.2013 to 25.07.2013, but anyway date and time is incorrect, even when it catches GPS signal

I updated to v1.008 firmware on 8/2/13 my date was set to 7/25/2013 too probably date firmware was built/release date for public. Same with me even when GPS catches signal after one hour, two or three hours time & date does not corrected.

Yes I've done a full format w/ overwrite using SD Formatter 1.3 their official tool they recommend.

I purchase my SD cards from Amazon.com - Ship from sold by Amazon.com not from 3rd party resellers. Also purchase from Costco B&M. I'm aware of fakes out there that's why I buy directly from those trusted sources. All retail packing.

While we are all speculating how the time is actually set it would be good if BLACKVUE came on here and told us exactly what it uses t set the date and time.

It seems to me that the program gets the original time off the host computer because when you first load it in the camera the time is correct(in most cases) without getting a GPS fix.

Therefore logically it is setting it off the computer as there is nowhere else for it to be. Await their reply with interest.

No sense in abusing them before we get an answer.

Hillbilly said:
While we are all speculating how the time is actually set it would be good if BLACKVUE came on here and told us exactly what it uses t set the date and time.

It seems to me that the program gets the original time off the host computer because when you first load it in the camera the time is correct(in most cases) without getting a GPS fix.

Therefore logically it is setting it off the computer as there is nowhere else for it to be. Await their reply with interest.

No sense in abusing them before we get an answer.

When you do a fresh install on a sd card it creates a set of files on the card. Click to blackvue\system and find two interesting files. One is new_update. It has a creation date of 7-25-13 and a time stamp of 10:15. Sound familiar? The other file is new_update.SUE. both file contain compiled Linix code. 1.008 does not get date info from the GPS, computer, wifi firmware settings.
Some jr programmer stuck the file date as a setting for 1.008 but oops forgot to ever update it.
How about abusing them if they don't answer.

Back