Dual (front and rear) cam setup

IPS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All,

I'm looking for a dual cam setup for front and rear views. I currently have the multi-channel F70 (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/i1000-f70-x6-720p-dual-lens-dvr-dash-camera.21/) in my car, but it is too problematic. So I'm thinking of switching to two separate Mobius cams for front and back.

I have a few questions regarding this setup:
  1. In my current setup with the F70, it starts recording as soon as it receives power and stops recording and powers off soon after it loses power. Does a Mobius support this functionality?

2. My car doesn't cut power to the cigarette lighter when ignition is off. To make it slightly quicker than unplugging the charger, I use a USB cable with a built in switch (http://www.dx.com/p/usb-to-micro-us...let-cellphone-black-120cm-280533#.Uzgm_HVDuY4). With a dual Mobius setup I envision adding a splitter at the other end to power both cams and so that I can turn them both off simultaneously. Can you guys see any problems with this setup?

3. My cigarette lighter-to-USB charger has a 2A slot so I'm hoping I can hardwire both cams to the same slot. See any problems with this?

4. Is running a long micro-USB cable from the front to the back okay? What is the typical setup for powering a Mobius cam at the rear?

5. Both cams will only be receiving power when they are recording. In your experience, is this enough to keep the internal battery charged?

If any one has any better solutions for a dual cam setup, please share. I'm looking for a solution that is more reliable than the buggy F70 cam that I have now.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. yes, mobius supports it automatic start recording when it gets external power.
2. you can do some DIY ( splitter ) using cigarette lighter charger with switch on / off :

or something like this:

or best fro you would be ready made splitter ( see below ) with switch button on top, but they are only available for China market at the moment.

Dual Charger.jpg

3) I use 3Amp fuses

4) I don't see why its not ok, but best it would be taking power for front and rear mobius from closest reading light source using 12v to 5v adapter:

5) you dont have to worry about internal battery because you will be recording only when external power is applied.

my personal best dual channel would be something like in other thread, but nobody yet produces them with high-specs :(

VOTE! Future of DashCam Solution. 1,2,4ch Discrete / Stealth cameras, Remote lens, "Snowden W007"

Last edited by a moderator:
1. yes, mobius supports it automatic start recording when it gets external power.
2. you can do some DIY ( splitter ) using cigarette lighter charger with switch on / off :

or best fro you would be ready made splitter ( see below ) with switch button on top, but they are only available for China market at the moment.

View attachment 4524

Is that China only splitter available to the USA yet?

I have not seeing anyone outside China selling it yet.

One of skills for DIY is sourcing, you can find from anywhere what you need.

I do admire Niko can find something we even could not.

One of skills for DIY is sourcing, you can find from anywhere what you need.

I do admire Niko can find something we even could not.

Try to imagine what would happen if I would live in China locally ? :)

Actually I do like look / search / research and find something unique and interesting, some time quite innovative which has not yet been discovered widely by public. It's a sort of a hobby ;)

Try to imagine what would happen if I would live in China locally ? :)

Actually I do like look / search / research and find something unique and interesting, some time quite innovative which has not yet been discovered widely by public. It's a sort of a hobby ;)

Yes, you are doing so good on that. :p

You could buy 2 usb cables -> mini and dual usb charger >2amps

Back