G1W-B Automatically turn off LCD screen while driving?

SoCalDude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Black Box G1W-B
As a new owner of the Blackbox G1W-B (and new to any dashcam), I've used it for one day and have the following question:

How can I make the video LCD screen on the back of the camera turn off after a few minutes (but still be recording video)?

I have the "Screen protection" setting at 5 minutes--is this the setting to achieve what I want? If not, what does this setting do?

I also have the "Auto power off" set to 3 minutes--is this what I want? If not, how is this setting used?

Here are my video settings:

Blackbox G1W-B

Resolution: 1080HFD
Loop Recording: 5 minutes
WDR: on
Exposure: +0.0
Motion Detection: on
Record audio: on
Gsensor: High (also tried this on low)
Date Stamp: on
Auto power off: 3 minutes
Screen protection: 5 minutes
Version: G1W_DA380_2014-11-28-01

Screen protection is how long the screen will remain on after camera powers up. Set it for whatever you want - I think 1 minute is minimum. Screen will turn off after that but recording will continue.

Auto power off is how long the camera will stay on when it's not recording - pretty much a useless option on a dash cam IMO unless you're using parking mode.

As mentioned in a different thread turn motion detection off or you'll get what appears to be erratic recording.

It's all correct except for the ones I highlighted in red:

Motion Detection: off
Gsensor: off
Auto power off: off

Never use Motion Detection when driving because it'll stop recording as soon as you stop or if there aren't any moving objects in front of the camera.
The Gsensor function is also not recommended for driving because bumps, pot holes or bad road surfaces can activate it and lock files unecessarily.
Auto Power Off is pretty much self-explanatory: if you want the camera to record while driving you're not going to set it to power off.

Turn motion detection off and set screen protection/saver to whatever time you want to turn the lcd off after initial start.

It's all correct except for the ones I highlighted in red:

Motion Detection: off
Gsensor: off
Auto power off: off

Never use Motion Detection when driving because it'll stop recording as soon as you stop or if there aren't any moving objects in front of the camera.
The Gsensor function is also not recommended for driving because bumps, pot holes or bad road surfaces can activate it and lock files unecessarily.
Auto Power Off is pretty much self-explanatory: if you want the camera to record while driving you're not going to set it to power off.
Thanks! Turning off the motion detection worked. I still want to play around with the GSensor to get to know how it really works. I'll ask about its use in a separate post/thread.

G-sensor protects file when the camera senses impact.
The values 1-4,5 change how sensitive it needs to be.
Too sensitive will protect files even when you go over bumps and fill up the sd card and too insensitive will not protect files even on heavy impact/ccollision so medium level is usually good.

G-sensor protects file when the camera senses impact.
The values 1-4,5 change how sensitive it needs to be.
Too sensitive will protect files even when you go over bumps and fill up the sd card and too insensitive will not protect files even on heavy impact/ccollision so medium level is usually good.
Thanks again, Sunny.

Which setting is considered more sensitive...High, Medium or Low?

My unit doesn't have a GSensor numbering system, it just has "High", "Medium" (or is it "Middle"?), "Low".

High is most sensitive, Low is least.

If you have big enough sd card, just turn it off. That'll prevent creating read only files and full sd is available for overwrite.

If you have big enough sd card, just turn it off. That'll prevent creating read only files and full sd is available for overwrite.
Thank you.

Is there a way to tell which video segments are protected? (either in camera or on the PC)

Thank you.

Is there a way to tell which video segments are protected? (either in camera or on the PC)
They should be in a separate folder and have the 'read only' attribute set. On my G1W-H cameras the folder name ended in 'ABCDE' but that may not be the case for all G1Wxxxx cameras.

Thank you.

File attributes property will be RA instead of A in a PC file/folder view.
You have to display attributes column if it's not already shown.

In the camera, in playback mode, it'll have a key lock icon somewhere in the corner.

File attributes property will be RA instead of A in a PC file/folder view.
You have to display attributes column if it's not already shown.

In the camera, in playback mode, it'll have a key lock icon somewhere in the corner.
Cool. I was thinking that would do it, but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Auto power off is how long the camera will stay on when it's not recording - pretty much a useless option on a dash cam IMO unless you're using parking mode.

Thanks. I wouldn't want that. Conversely, there is "Delay Power Off" (off, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes) -- that seems to be how long after mini-USB power is removed that it shuts off.

Conversely, there is "Delay Power Off" (off, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes) -- that seems to be how long after mini-USB power is removed that it shuts off.
Where's that? I never saw it on the menus.

Running version 2014.12.22.01
Video Mode, first Menu, 8th item (4th item on second page)DelayPowerOff.png
(Orange text and arrow added because it's a bad photo.)

It's the first time I see that function on any original firmware, and I know a lot of them.

Back