G1WH Keeps restarting

tingaling

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I purchased two G1WH dash cams ~1.5years ago and when turning the car off, the cam goes into this sequence where it keeps restarting itself several times.

I believe this also causes the last file to become corrupt and not playable via PC.
Start-up and mid movs and are playable

Is this a common issue?
Any fixes?

BTW I also tried updating the firmware to "G1WH_DA380_2015.01.21.01"; no luck.

Usually last file corruption on this cameras is a battery problem, which is what causes the continuous restarting. When you cut the power the battery tries to keep the camera running to save the last file but since it doesn't have enough power the camera shuts down, corrupting the file. Then the battery recovers turning the camera back on again just to shut down again due to the lack of power.

I think mine does this when the truck hits a pothole or a bump on the road. The USB connector which is on top seems to get loose and I have to push it down to reconnect. Good thing the chime alerts me.

Another thing that may force constant rebooting is a faulty power supply adapter. I've had one that was faulty strait out of the box. Perhaps it is not providing the camera with enough juice any more so it would not stay on, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try another power supply source. 1A is probably not enough, it is better to go with 1.5A or even 2A. At least this solved my issue with camera rebooting constantly.

Another thing that may force constant rebooting is a faulty power supply adapter. I've had one that was faulty strait out of the box. Perhaps it is not providing the camera with enough juice any more so it would not stay on, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try another power supply source. 1A is probably not enough, it is better to go with 1.5A or even 2A. At least this solved my issue with camera rebooting constantly.
The power adapter can't do that if the battery is in good condition, because in the event of a malfunction each time the power to the camera is cut off the battery keeps powering it until it shuts down. If the power comes on again before the camera shuts down it will continue recording.
I've once tried switching the ignition off and on several times in sequence, always before the end of the 10 seconds, and the camera kept recording normally and didn't corrupt the files.
The power adapter that comes with the camera is more than suficient to power all of its needs.

The power adapter that comes with the camera is more than suficient to power all of its needs.
Well, mine wasn't, and that's why I'm suggesting you try that as well. I did not have rebooting issue after I replaced the adapter. Of course, it does not have to be true in your case. Have you considered removing the battery and powering the camera without it?

It's not me who's having the rebooting problem. ;) My G1W-H is fine, although I'm not using it now.

Thanks for all the replies. This happens on both of my G1WH cams and yes I have a few power supplies that I have tried when testing the devices with the same end result.

I ordered new batteries and will see if that fixes the problem.
Hope they fit though, will see when they get in :fingerscrossed:

UPDATE:
Replaced the batteries today in both G1WH cams and everything is working so far :)
Thanks for the advice.

Also if anyone else is wondering what batteries i used:

Grabbed a 6 pack of these for $16 @ Amazon
They are 380mah. When swapping them out the originals are 180mah.

Back