G1WH not always turns on after engine starting

metmusic

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi guys,

Does anyone have idea why my camera is not always turning on after starting car engine or sometimes is turning off after few seconds? Then when manually I turn it on again camera works fine for hours...

(My camera is permanently plugged in)

Firmware: G1WH_DA380_2015.01.21.01

Thanks for help in advance

The "turning off after a few seconds" is normal. The camera keeps recording for 10 seconds after the power is cut off.
About the "turning on with the ignition": does it start recording only after a few seconds or sometimes it just doesn't turn on with the ignition and you have to start recording manually?

Thanks for reply.
I've described not quite precise.
First issue: I know that is turning off automatically after ignition off. However sometimes is turning off just after turning on ignition (after 2-3 seconds).
Second issue: Sometimes does not turn on with the ignition at all. Then I have to turn it on manually.

Next time you turn the ignition on, without starting the engine, can you check if the green LED on the camera's power adaptor lights up and stays lit and if the camera starts and keeps recording? If it does, start the engine and check if the camera stops or keeps recording.

Two things come to mind:
Some cars interrupt power to non-critical circuits during starter operation so the starter has more power reserve to draw from. It may be hot in "key on" but drop out when at "key start" then become hot again when you release the key. With a dashcam, this is occurring during it's boot-up time so anything can happen, including it going into power-off shutdown mode.

And every car will see some voltage drop across the entire electrical system when the high-current-draw starter motor operates. With a good battery that's usually insignificant, but with a old battery or dragging starter the symptoms can be similar. Most electronics will function correctly with at least 10.5 - 11V but ideally you never want to see less than ~12.0V. Diesels with glow plugs will see a similar drop while they're burning.

The usual check for these is to watch an old analog voltmeter tied into the circuit you're drawing from during the key-on and starting sequence. Many digital meters cannot respond quickly enough to get an accurate reading during this test. Older cars could often hold a larger battery, new cars use the smallest lightest battery possible and there's no room for anything else. So much for newer always being better!

Phil

Two things come to mind:
Some cars interrupt power to non-critical circuits during starter operation so the starter has more power reserve to draw from. It may be hot in "key on" but drop out when at "key start" then become hot again when you release the key. With a dashcam, this is occurring during it's boot-up time so anything can happen, including it going into power-off shutdown mode.

And every car will see some voltage drop across the entire electrical system when the high-current-draw starter motor operates. With a good battery that's usually insignificant, but with a old battery or dragging starter the symptoms can be similar. Most electronics will function correctly with at least 10.5 - 11V but ideally you never want to see less than ~12.0V. Diesels with glow plugs will see a similar drop while they're burning.

The usual check for these is to watch an old analog voltmeter tied into the circuit you're drawing from during the key-on and starting sequence. Many digital meters cannot respond quickly enough to get an accurate reading during this test. Older cars could often hold a larger battery, new cars use the smallest lightest battery possible and there's no room for anything else. So much for newer always being better!

Phil
That's what I had in mind when I replied to him but since he's not a native English speaker I didn't want to go into overly technical explanations. :)
He hasn't responded yet, so we'll have to wait.

This problem comes up from time to time here on DCT and it can manifest with different models of camera. Often, as mentioned already, the problem is caused by the temporary loss of power to the accessory circuit when first engaging a vehicle's ignition switch. One possible solution is to install a 5V adjustable delay timer in the circuit that runs the dash cam, set to a delay long enough for the car to start before it powers up the camera. These delay relay timers are quite affordable, selling for a few dollars each and are available on eBay. There is even a new micro-USB version available that I wasn't previously aware of. (the blue one below)

relaytimer1.jpg

relay timer2.jpg

These links are examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141664216821
https://www.ebay.com/itm/251679163561
5V Conduction delay relay module
- high quality delay turn-on module.
- high-performance timing CPU design.
- power indicator LED and switch trigger timing indication LEDs
-The input can be connected to AC 250V 10A / DC 30V 10A load
-Chrono-potentiometer regulation time, adjustable delay from 0-24 seconds by default, or by changing the capacitance adjustment for longer times

Specification:
1.Module based on: NE555 chip.
2.Delay module:delay connect module
3.Input voltage: DC5V-30V
4.Control voltage: AC 0~250V / max. 10A, DC 0~30V / max. 10A operating voltage: 5 volts DC; (otherwise 5V optional)
5.Max. load: 2200W

Main Chip (NE555) Characteristics:
1. Timing from microseconds to long hours
2. Simple circuit design
3. Precision Pulse Generation / Timing,
4. Adjustable Duty Cycle
5. Burglar, alarm, building delay switch, sound and light control light switch.
6. Delay powered vehicle equipment, to prevent large currents generated as the car starts.
7. Prevent simultaneous launch multiple devices cause burning appliances or fail to start.
Wide voltage 5V~30V, trigger delay relay module, timer module, conduction delay,
delay switch.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help. That's right... I'm not english native speaker however I've understood everything ;)
I observed this behavior:
1. On ignition on (without starting engine) camer is turning on and is starts recording without any issues
2. When I'm starting engine immediately, camera is turning on and then after short power interrupt (while starting engine) is turning off (with goodbye-screen like turned off using power button). It's happening ca. 1 on 5 starts. LED: Blue (ignition on, camera is waking up, not recording) -> Purple (power on, starts recording) -> Red (power on but unplugged for a moment when engine starts) - > Again purple for a second and then turns off.

Camera is plugged in to a lighter socket (there is no power when ignition is off also power is interrupting when starting engine; battery is 74Ah - for diesel engine)

Maybe better solution is something what will not delay power on but will keep alive camera for these 2-3 second when there is no power?

Last edited:
Maybe better solution is something what will not delay power on but will keep alive camera for these 2-3 second when there is no power?
That might be more troublesome to install than the solution indicated by Dashmellow. The only problem i can think of with the 5V relay is that if you want to record something "interesting" after you switch the ignition off, the camera won't start recording immediately when you switch it on again and you may lose that "interesting" event. The only option you have then is to turn the camera on manually and record with battery power.

Why might be more troublesome?
This "only option" I'm using now and... usually I forgot turning camera on again :/ So I was loosing much more "interesting events" ;)
I courious if other users are affected by this issue...

The only problem i can think of with the 5V relay is that if you want to record something "interesting" after you switch the ignition off, the camera won't start recording immediately when you switch it on again and you may lose that "interesting" event. The only option you have then is to turn the camera on manually and record with battery power.

I guess so, but in five years of using dash cams in my vehicle I can't think of a single time I have even encountered such a scenario. Of course, anyone who is concerned about this possibility needs to come up with a different solution. :)

Last edited:
This "only option" I'm using now and... usually I forgot turning camera on again :/ So I was loosing much more "interesting events" ;)

I've already mentioned that the problem you are describing has come up in discussions from time to time. :)

I used to have the same problem with my car which also has a diesel engine. I solved it by installing one of those little timers which I have set to 10 seconds. When I bought mine the 5 volt USB version wasn't available so I had to use a voltage regulator too.

I guess so, but in five years of using dash cams in my vehicle I can't think of a single time I have even encountered such a scenario. Of course, anyone who is concerned about this possibility needs to come up with a different solution. :)
Well, in only 4 months of using dashcams I did it a lot of times. It only takes one time to start thinking "Damn, I didn't catch that one. And what if it happens again?".

I think new members asking what camera to buy should be warned that some cars may have this "issue", before they buy any camera.

Thanks a lot for all suggestions. I'll check another solution - in my car second lighter slot is always hot (even if ignition is off). Maybe there voltage is more stable.

I have gotten into the habit of checking certain things on starting and parking my vehicles, including power to accessories.

Once you create the habit of checking things at starting and parking it rarely fails you, and it works with any vehicles you may drive.

At one point in life I was driving 5 very different vehicles regularly which is why I decided on this approach to solve the problem. I still think about turning on the fuel tap because of all my years on motorcycles even though I haven't ridden in years. Sometimes I still reach for the shifter when I'm about to pass someone too, though I haven't had a stick-shift in about as long. Old habits but they are good ones even when I don't need them.

Phil

...Sometimes I still reach for the shifter when I'm about to pass someone too, though I haven't had a stick-shift in about as long....
+1

Likewise. Even today when I have to jam on the brakes I sometimes find my left foot heading for the clutch pedal. :rolleyes:

I did some additional tests. Dash cam is switching off only before it starts automatically recording after wakeup and it happens only when using original FW ( 2015.01.21.01 or 2014.0108 or 2014.0509). I've checked DOD LS388W 1307111SC2 and Shadow GT680W 2.7G - works fine. I can cut power off in all starting phases and later too - camera will not switch off. I've noticed also that original FW (all versions) is switching off dash cam immediately after cutting power off when not recording.
Which other FW do you recommend? (best quality, newest, etc).

Last edited:
Could you use this option in the settings?

Off_Timer01.jpg

It'd keep the camera recording for 3minutes after the engine shuts off as well I assume.

Cheers
Mat

Back