GS1000 GPS Problem

darktrain

Reaction score
Hello
I have since 3 days, a GS1000. The software is: SMH4.35.210512A, orange menu. Here I bought this camera
On the first day the camera worked perfectly. But on the second day: No GPS signal more. Today I had shortly after turning once a GPS signal. The signal remained stable.
An hour later I started the camera again - no GPS signal.
I'm desperate!
I opened the camera already, but the connection to the GPS receiver seems to be all soldered clean.
I uploaded already two other versions of the software on the camera, but the result is the same: No GPS signal.

(FYI: I have not the GS1000 to the test had in the car mount, it is tested directly in the open. The holder or bad sight to the satellite can not be the cause.)

What could be the cause??

Many greetings from Germany (sorry for my English - Google Translator)

darktrain

I have had same kind of problem, i think it's more like an feature than a flaw ;)
Of Course it's not nice if you need that option.

Is your car initially in the garage ?

I've found when my car is in the garage and then I go out it can take a few mins before it gets a signal.
If my car is outside and I turn the car on it gets the gps signal withing a few seconds.
There are days when it can take longer.

I put it down to signals or interference from something else.
I don't expect to much on cheap car cams.

Does your mapping software work. If not then download RegistratorViewer.exe version 4 which did the trick for me.

Matt789 said:
Is your car initially in the garage ?

I've found when my car is in the garage and then I go out it can take a few mins before it gets a signal.
If my car is outside and I turn the car on it gets the gps signal withing a few seconds.
There are days when it can take longer.

I put it down to signals or interference from something else.
I don't expect to much on cheap car cams.

Does your mapping software work. If not then download RegistratorViewer.exe version 4 which did the trick for me.

That's pretty normal behaviour really

just wanted to order GS1000 GPS, but this is the second post (first I found is this one) about problems with GPS... so if I want a GPS-dashboard cam , GS1000 is not the best choice any more, or maybe I shouldn't make a judgement based on two posts ?

By the way, what does a rank "manufacturer" mean ? That the member is really a dashboardcam manufacturer, or that he/she just posted a lot of posts ? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
javr said:
just wanted to order GS1000 GPS, but this is the second post (first I found is this one) about problems with GPS... so if I want a GPS-dashboard cam , GS1000 is not the best choice any more, or maybe I shouldn't make a judgement based on two posts ?

you can find problems with any dashcam, plenty of members here that post problems with Korean brand cams as well, nobody is immune from problems unfortunately, some suffer more than others perhaps

Last edited by a moderator:
javr said:
By the way, what does a rank "manufacturer" mean ? That the member is really a dashboardcam manufacturer, or that he/she just posted a lot of posts ? Thanks.
It seems like the second option is the correct. There are people that writes too much posts and never offers solutions, and appears like manufacturers (It could happen that a manufacturer does not know anything about the problems, and he likes to speak too much... who knows?...)

nachoo said:
javr said:
It seems like the second option is the correct. There are people that writes too much posts and never offers solutions, and appears like manufacturers (It could happen that a manufacturer does not know anything about the problems, and he likes to speak too much... who knows?...)

We manufacture cameras, I can't offer solutions for products we don't manufacture though so not sure what help you're expecting, sometimes I see people with problems that we have experienced though and may offer some suggestions, feel free to ignore what I write if you like, I only try to assist others if possible

I don't know why you think that I was talking about you. Did you recognize yourself in something that I wrote? I hope you don't.
Anyway I think that people can spend their time like they want. And you too.

nachoo said:
I don't know why you think that I was talking about you. Did you recognize yourself in something that I wrote? I hope you don't.
Anyway I think that people can spend their time like they want. And you too.

I don't know that there are any other manufacturers that post here, I think all the regulars on this forum are helpful, I'd hate to see that change

so, you told the webmaster that you are a manufacturer and he created this rank for you?

The GPS module is usually the same in almost all the cameras? When the camera starts, Is it looking for satellites all the time, or maybe one time each 10 minutes, for example? This could explain the problem of this post. Some people says that when the cam starts in a covered place, the GPS module takes more time to know the exact place than if it starts in a opened sky, overall because it needs several satellites. How much of them? What is the most usually used gps module in dashcams? Sirfstar, FVM11, FVm8, MT3329... Can you find an explanation? You are a manufacturer, and maybe you can tell us an example of one of your cameras? Maybe the person that has the problem can find an sollution for his problem

I just want to clarify the ranks on this board.

There are ranks based on posts and special ranks. Special Ranks include:

Site Admin
Application Developer
Retailer
Manufacturer

These are assigned manually based on my judgement. Since I want retailers and manufacturer's to post, having the rank will help keep their posts in perspective.

Only 2 manufacturers have posted on the board so far, jokiin and Carrie (Eeyelog).

nachoo said:
The GPS module is usually the same in almost all the cameras? When the camera starts, Is it looking for satellites all the time, or maybe one time each 10 minutes, for example? This could explain the problem of this post. Some people says that when the cam starts in a covered place, the GPS module takes more time to know the exact place than if it starts in a opened sky, overall because it needs several satellites. How much of them? What is the most usually used gps module in dashcams? Sirfstar, FVM11, FVm8, MT3329... Can you find an explanation? You are a manufacturer, and maybe you can tell us an example of one of your cameras? Maybe the person that has the problem can find an sollution for his problem

I'm out for the day on mobile but I'll post back later with some info on GPS that might help understand it, lots of different solutions in use and don't know them all obviously but will give some info on what I do know that might be useful to some

And these cameras are not too easy, since there is tens of different models one flaw doesn't always come for the same reason, that's why there can't be one magical person (god) who can give right anwers to all. If it would be so easy then one flow chart type of document would solve all problems.
Actually some camera makers try to do that when their manual says like
Problem - image is blurry.
Solution - wipe camera lense.
But is this very helpful advice, i don't know :lol:

Something about GPS:

I open camera body, and move gray cable (antenna) to other way. When body is open GPS signal could be reached in 2-5 sec. Now, after i closed body it's probably ok. GPS starting in around 5-30 sec. On TEXET software it's looking for satelites all the time, so it doesn't matter if You start cam indoor or outdoor.

It's possible to move antenna cable outside. It may help with GPS but it's not guaranteed. So, it's your own risk.

nachoo said:

lots of different GPS solutions available and the operation of each is something that needs to be catered for in the firmware, using a firmware from another model is risky as it's possible to damage the GPS chipset if the parameters are wrong because the chipset is different, of course when using firmware from some other model there are other risks due to hardware compatibility issues not just the GPS chipset, even the system memory used can make a difference (we struck this problem about a year ago with Hynix memory and have used Samsung exclusively since)

it's important to understand how the GPS functions as to why it behaves the way it does, with these cams the priority is always video and processing power is allocated more for video than anything else, you'll notice Chinese cams typically boot and start recording very quickly, GPS is a lower priority process and it will hunt for a signal after a recording has commenced

there are three distinct modes for the GPS, cold start, warm start and hot start, most people would be aware that it takes three satellites to get a lock, the GPS will increase accuracy as more satellites are locked and will sometimes lock 7 or 8 satellites at once, each satellite provides it's own position information and instructions to the receiver (Ephemeris data), the download of this information takes 12.5 minutes (if it all comes down error free, otherwise it starts again), this data provides accurate forecast position information valid for the following few hours but only for that particular satellite, there is also Almanac data which is much less accurate but valid for much longer periods and for all satellites, obviously you typically get a signal much faster than 12.5 minutes and some basic triangulation and positioning info can be provided relatively quickly in some circumstances depending in the state of the GPS, cold, warm or hot

A cold start is when the GPS has been off for more than 4 hours and this process must begin from scratch each time based on Almanac data of roughly where the Satellites might be

A warm start (for most solutions) is around 30 minutes, if the GPS had signal within 30 minutes prior to a restart then the Ephemris data collected is still valid and the GPS has an idea which Satellites to look for and reasonably close to where they should be at the time, the warm start is generally quite quick in comparison to a cold start, we recently changed to a GPS solution that has an internal battery so the warm start times offered are longer than 30 minutes

A hot start is when you have a signal already and you drive out of coverage, through a tunnel, under a bridge etc and when you come back into a coverage the GPS knows what Satellites you were connected to and will look straight back to those same ones and will pick the signal back up very quickly

My comments earlier about typical behaviour about being slower to catch the signal when starting up under cover and with no signal taking longer is because when there is no signal and a cold start or warm start happens if you don't get access to open sky within a relatively short time the GPS effectively gives up looking where it thinks it should be looking and starts looking elsewhere for signal which might not always be the appropriate location so it will take a bit to get back to where it needs to look

GPS has got smarter over the last few years and there's things like forward error correction to improve cold start performance and we've been looking at things like dropping invalid data for situations like the GPS starting up when there's no signal to be had to try and improve the cold start hunt time, it's quite an involved process though and something we are still working to improve, we're certainly doing better with it than we were 12 months ago but still some room for improvement I think, I guess there's probably suppliers out there that don't work to improve this and just work with what they've got, I can't speak for what others do but I feel it's something that needs more effort applied

hope this goes some way to explaining what I meant earlier about typical behaviour

This is an interesting information. When I start the device indoors, the gps takes a lot of time to work, but if I restart it when in open sky, it finds the position very quick. Now I know why. Thank you

Hi All,

I purchased a GS5000 (fake) orange menu with firmware 20120929 from ebay seller "superyuan0526" and I also have a problem with the GPS. I've had the camera in the open away from objects and on the car roof for an hour and only had GPS signal for not even 1 minute in total. The camera works ok.. but the GPS seems faulty. This GPS icon stays red and only went green for three short periods and then went red again. Also, when it did pick up a signal, it said that my location was off the coast of Japan when I'm in Australia.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks.

Echo.

Back