GS900 (VF960S)

Hi Eurotramp,

About the date and time it looks like I'm getting utc time now, as I have a one hour difference from my local time, but for the first days of use after the firmware update, it kept on using the local date and time.
Using utc time is not a big issue, as long as I'm aware of this.

Yes I get erratic speeds when I'm parked between buildings, so the number of satellites acquired must be low.
About the compass, yes it's the one included in the registrator viewer, calculated with the gps, as I think the device doesn't have an accelerometer built-in.
I don't think viofo wants to keep this product up to date, as the reported issues are not solved in new firmwares and firmwares are not released very often.
It's a pity because the hardware seems very capable.

Now I'm sure my device works properly, I will use the sticky back mount to install it permanently behind the rear view Mirror, and hope the device will have a good lifespan.
I've been using a X3000 that was working pefectly for a year and one week before it died.
I opened it and found it was the linear battery charger that had blown out, and a diode too.
I could replace the linear charger but I don't know which diode to use so I'm stuck here for the moment.

Good evening

Hi Flag97,

That is very strange behaviour of the date and time. I bet that is a feature that Viofo didn't know about.

About the accelerometer, it does record acceleration and deceleration as a G force, see the X Y Z graphs in the Registrator. Hover the cursor over the X Y Z triangle just to the left of the compass to see which is which and you can show them in graph form in the lower right window.

I think that the hardware is excellent. It's the firmware that lets it down.

The number of acquired satellites from the GPS satellites is not recorded in the text files accompanying the video files. This means that the text file record layout would need an extra field, the number of acquired satellites from the GPS satellite written to the record and the new field included in the stamp routine.

It's not rocket science but Viofo may not have the will to do the changes. I suspect that they may not have the skills in house.

Dashcams are sold on the recommendation of other users so it would be reasonable to assume that Viofo would put a bit of effort into enhancing the firmware.

Not showing the number of acquired satellites means that you can never be absolutely sure that the speed and location shown are accurate.

On a completely different subject, I have a digital clock which has a switch in the back to select between UK time and CET. When it is in the CET mode it shows a big F for foreign in the clock display. Only in the UK!!!

about the accuracy of the gps positioning, I found it was perfect when using the registrator viewer with nokia maps, the location on the map matched exactly with my position on the video from the beginning to the end of a 2 mile drive, except for the time of satellites getting acquired that takes a few seconds.
Isn't your gps antenna beneath the black dotted region at the top of the windshield? This may cause bad reading from the satellites data.
I have mine 3 inches Under the dots (for the moment) and seem to have no accuracy issue.

I know viofo reads this forum so the more we talk about the product, the more they're likely to improve it.

Hi Flag97,

I don't have a black dotted region on my windscreen so I put the camera as high as I can on the windscreen.

Being down on the number of acquired satellites occurs on start up and very occasionally when there is no line of sight to the satellites eg in woods, in road tunnels, between tall buildings (canyoning) and when satellites are low on the horizon.

Be good if dashcams used both the current american GPS satellites and the Russian Glonass ones. That should mean accurate positioning and speed.

Software, hardware or a dud?

Hi folks,

My VF960S is about 3 months old and has been working well up until about 4 weeks ago. I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem - and can suggest a fix?

The camera is switched on & off with ignition power. About 95% of the time when switched on it doesn't automatically start recording; I need to press the 'REC' button. When power is turned off it goes dead immediately, i.e. doesn't "stand by" while doing what ever it does to close the last recorded file. When powered up next time it momentarily flashes up a 'busy' graphic - as if it is not happy with the previous file. After that I can press REC.

Other info:
  • came from Foxoffer with the latest available software,
  • I have done a reset using the 'hidden' switch underneath; it worked for a day or so before the fault returned,
  • the battery LED is usually green and goes red to indicate charging after I've run it off the battery (normal ?)

Has anyone experienced this sort of behaviour before, and if so is it easily fixed? I've emailed Foxoffer about it but no reply yet.

Thanks!

Hi Astra,

I have not had your problem but lets try a process of elimination, which firmware version do you have ?

Regards.

Hi Astra,

I am using version 20130718 which is a stable version which automatically sets the time to UTC time.

There are known stability problems with firmware version 20130912 which have been reported to Foxoffer and Viofo but Foxoffer have sold a number of the VF960S with the faulty firmware version 20130912.

If you look at the previous posting on this thread you will see that Mariomart in Austrailia and Flag97 in France have had weird behaviour issues with firmware version 20130912. Both have reverted to version 20130718.

I would suggest that you revert to the stable version 20130718 and use my settings below to see if you still have problems.

If the problems go away after reverting to 20130718 it's firmware version at fault, if they don't go away it's hardware and you will need to ask for a replacement camera.

I have come across some combinations of settings in version 20130718 creating problems.

I can't recall what the problems were, but I do know that my combination of settings work fine with version 20130718.

My settings are:-

GS900 VF960S settings. MD 20 Dec 13

Video:

quality: super fine
resolution: 1080P30
motion detect: off *

video duration: 1 min

loop video: on
crash sensitivity: 8G
parking mode: off *
upside down: off

Setup:

LCD off: 1 min
auto power off: 1 min
time setup: I've set this to UTC time to match the GPS log time
volume : 04
reset system settings: ....
format: ....
language: English
stamp: date/time
beep sound: on
firmware version: FW VER:20130718

AAA:

flicker: 50 HZ
contrast: standard
sharpness: Hard
ae iso: auto
white balance: auto
ae bias: 0
ae meter mode: centre

Hi Astra,

There are known stability problems with firmware version 20130912 which have been reported to Foxoffer and Viofo but Foxoffer have sold a number of the VF960S with the faulty firmware version 20130912.

Thanks Eurotramp, I'm downloading 0718 now :)

I have an interstate trip tomorrow so that will be a good test! UTC is not an issue - we work to UTC anyway :)

Will let you know how we get on!

Hi Astraj

The donate if you wish Registratior Viewer from Vadim Kozlof in St. Petersburg (http://www.registratorviewer.com/download_en.html) allows you to enter your offset from UTC if you need local time.

It's an excellent bit of software to view and manage your dashcam videos.

The beautify of firmware version 20130718 is that you can't change the date and time and therefore is good solid evidence.

Have a good trip.

Thanks Eurotramp!

I've installed the 0718 software and everything was going well - for the first few hours at least.

This morning the camera started recording properly, but now randomly stops recording :-( I can press the REC button again and away it goes, but in the worst case today it only recorded for 15 seconds before stopping again! Also it is back to its' old trick of shutting down immediately the 12v power is removed rather than finalising the recorded file then shutting down.

It is set to loop the recordings, and the SD card was reformatted before the software upgrade so unlikely it is an issue with space on the card.

I'm wondering if it doesn't like the DC-DC converter (12v to to 5v USB) that it is running off (a permanent installation). When I get back from this trip I'll try using the supplied cigarette lighter adapter and see if it makes any difference - not that I'm expecting it will but handy to know.

Cheers

Hi Astra,

Presumably you formatted the SD card on the camera and set the settings exactly as mine ?

In theory the Mini B plug should be a universal standard voltage amps etc, but you and Jokiin are both right, try the adaptor received from Foxoffer.

I have a feeling that your problems are battery/charging related.

If you still have the same problems when using the adaptor received from Foxoffer, you can be certain that the problem is not the firmware, it is not the SD card, it is not the settings, it is not the power supply, it must be the hardware.

Any reaction from Foxoffer yet ?

Hi all,

I'm in the UK.

Just joined this excellent forum as I am the proud owner of a GS900, purchased from Foxoffer.

It arrived with the new firmware 20130912 and it seems to work mostly as it should.

The question I have is what is the sos button for (bottom left button), when I press it during recording mode, I see a circular red blob on the top left of the screen but I'm not sure what it means. (I think its red, I'm slightly colourblind)

Also, I see a reference on the basic instructions to using the buttons on the right to operate zoom but they dont appear to make any difference to the zoom when I operate them whilst in recording mode.

Regards

The SOS button is to manually write protect a file so it doesn't get overwritten when the card fills up

The zoom function you're better off without anyway

Howdy everyone,

Euro, yes the SD card was formatted before loading the older version of software. My configuration is the same as yours, with Motion Detection off.

I've switched over to the 'cigarette lighter' power supply that came with the camera. Initially results were good and I thought the problem had been isolated - but alas now the camera is back to not going into record on power up (intermittent) and just yesterday it started stopping the recording for no obvious reason (again, intermittent). It does, however, shut down properly.

My car is a relatively late model Hyundai so I doubt there will be issues with variation in voltage (or available current). My work vehicle is an Isuzu truck and I put the camera in it when doing long-ish trips. When I relocate the truck after its' current assignment I'll see how the camera behaves in it. I've got a similar '12 to 5 volt' USB adapter in it, powered by the 12 volt sub system of the truck (main system is 24v).

I can't imagine the camera power circuit is super sensitive to the external supply - but then again if the camera is OK it suggests I have two dud power supplies (one of mine and the supplied unit). :mad:

In regards to Foxoffer, not response from them yet. :(

Alphonsohall, I think the zoom function is only available in playback mode.

Cheers all.

Hi Astra,

Unlikely that you have two bad power supplies, What we've proved is that you still have a problem using all Foxoffers kit and they can't now point the finger of blame at anything else.

Keep chasing Foxoffer, but you may want to email Viofo to see if its a known hardware problem. Viofo make the dashcam, Foxoffer sell them.

Hi astra and welcome.
Hi Eurotramp, and sorry for being away a long time, but my PC was dead and I had to buy a new one.
Astra, I sometimes have the same issue with the viofo not recording at ignition with the provided adapter.
My problems happen mostly when I start my car as it is cold (diesel), during the preheating (3-4 seconds) the viofo turns on and then suddenly stops half a second when I start the engine, which causes the viofo to reboot.
In this case, the viofo does not start recording automatically and the top led is green.
When I start the engine without pre heating it seems to work better.
Don't try to use a permanent DC adapter in your car, because I did and it doesn't work, the last file won't be saved and the device will stop as soon as you turn off the key.
This worked perfectly with my previous dashcam before it died.
So I guess there must be some kind of capacitor Inside the provided adapter or maybe the connector shield is wired to the ground and the viofo detects this, or the data pins are wired together.
On my fixed dc/dc adapter I have only 2 pins connected with exactly 5,10V stable output.
This adapter is connected to the cigarette lighter's connectors and works with ignition key.

I'm not satisfied with my viofo and foxoffer don't answer mails...

Anyway, try to start your engine without waiting in the ACC position and see if you get some improvements.

This is a common issue with older diesel vehicles, we added a startup delay option in our firmware for this reason

Back