Hardwire to permanent power source

jeremy156

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
G1W
I don't have a switched power feed anywhere convenient on my car, so I am wondering whether it's practical to take a permanent feed and rely on any motion detection function to activate and begin recording when the car is moving and stop recording when I'm stopped.

Would a G1W (battery model) chew through the car battery quickly, or is this camera sufficiently low powered not to be of concern if left in this sort of "standby" condition for a few days?

Thanks,
Jeremy

You could build a simple circuit to detect the drop in voltage when the engine is off and cut the power to the camera, unless you can find a pre-made one.

That's an interesting idea - I don't have the knowledge to design such a circuit, but could certainly assemble something if given a suiitable circuit diagram. Do you know of something that's been done before?

I don't have a switched power feed anywhere convenient on my car, so I am wondering whether it's practical to take a permanent feed and rely on any motion detection function to activate and begin recording when the car is moving and stop recording when I'm stopped.

Would a G1W (battery model) chew through the car battery quickly, or is this camera sufficiently low powered not to be of concern if left in this sort of "standby" condition for a few days?

Thanks,
Jeremy

25-30usd "power magic pro"-type battery voltage cut-off device will solve your problem and time on relay DIY ;)

I measured the current draw at 350mA from the internal lipo with the screen lit which should be the same from the 5V feed. That's a bit much to leave on 24/7 unless you drive your car everyday or 2 at minimum.

Thanks Dave2000 - I agree 350mA is too much for safety on a permanent basis.

@niko, is the Power Magic Pro adjustable in terms of voltage cut-off? I don't really want the camera powered up when the engine is off, so figured the shutdown threshold could be around 12V, meaning when the engine is running I'd see 13V+ and when off it would soon drop.

Please elaborate on how this is done?

For 1-2 hours motion detection recording use it will be fine but not for longer period like overnight parking or full day parking, because of built in battery beign always powered on. In summer you have big risk of "exploding" in hot weather conditions. Also battery has some life limitations. So would not reccomend it for long term parking motion detection use. You need capacitor based dashcamera.

Ah right.... so that's my problem, if I had access to to a switched 12V, I'd just power the camera from that.... my issue is how to control the power down without such a feed, hence the notion of measuring the continuous power to compare the condition with or without the alternator raising the voltage.

What kind of vehicle is it?

You can get switched power from the vehicle it just depends on how technically minded you are, and if you are willing to do any modifications.

A simple one is using one of those fuses with a piggyback lead.

They make fuse taps. Very easily pick off a switched 12v line that way. They make them for the plastic blade type car fuses both standard and mini sizes. Here's an example.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0002BGELQ

It's a 2007 Mercedes S-class. There are no fuses in any of the fusebox that are ignition switched. So, I could dismantle the dashboard to get to the back of the cigar lighter and take a feed from there - but I'm hoping I can do something less intrusive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O G1WX 2
Firefighter3244 G1WX 6
rudolf diesel G1WX 6
D G1WX 1
Back