Help hardwiring my G1W

Noobpc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, first post here.

I just bought a G1W becuase i have been going paranoid about accidents recently. I drive a 2012 Toyota Corolla, and i don't want to hae to plug the camera into my DC cigarette lighter because i want to be able to use that outlet for other stuff.

Is there a way I can safely use my car to power my camera without using the DC outlet? I think this is called hardwiring, but i am not positive. As you may already tell, I have o previous experience in this, but I desperately want to learn.

Help is appreciated.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to be piggy backing on a fuse though, not splicing cables.

I bought this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321280328423

This

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121254091441

And this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=110913416167

Just need to figure out which fuse to use.

For permanent power, you want to read up on the powermagic pro.

I don't know if I want permanent power since I'm worried about the batteries in my cameras dying early.

Before this, I was using a four socket adaptor+ USB adaptors to plug satnav, dashcam and phone charger.

Id rather not utilize the DC outlet at all, if that is possible.

Is it a bad idea to hardwire anything into my car?

Sorry if it sounds like i am not catching on, this is very new to me.

It's not a bad idea at all. You just have to be comfortable removing and reinstalling a few pieces of trim. I believe the install on a Corolla requires less trim-removal than in other cars, but I'm speaking from my experience with older Corollas. You might want to read here for a some more information and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
More can be found under the section DIY projects. There are several way and here is my take on how to do this without spending a great deal of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I still have a bit of hesitancy before starting anything.

Do i basically snip the wires that came with my dash cam and stick them into a power source in the interior of my car?

Gahh... I am so scared. Is there a step by step video or tutorial i can look at that also utilizes a corolla?

I don't think there's a video specifically for your Corolla. But don't worry, read through a bunch of threads in the DIY section so you can get a precise idea of what you'll be dealing with.

Basically you will be following these steps:
1) In your cabin fusebox place an add-a-fuse in a circuit that is always-on or powered with ignition (depending on your particular need).
2) Connect a female cigarette socket adapter to the add-a-fuse you just installed.
3) Connect your camera's included car charger to the female cig adapter you just installed.
4) Hide all the newly installed items and cables away from view below your car's plastic trim.

If you do it this way, you won't mess around with your camera or your camera's car charger. They will remain in their original condition.

If this is too much for you, you can always ask for help at a local car audio shop. Those guys will immediately know what to do regarding trim removal and hiding cables. If you bring all the stuff with you, they will just charge you for the labor and you can be sure they are not over-charging you for the parts.

Gabolinche, that was VERY helpful. I think i have a gameplan set up because this sounds easier now.

I am planning on buying this:
http://dx.com/p/diy-car-cigarette-l...gclid=COOPjduUlrwCFUMV7AodTiMACQ#.UuIFxaNOKSM

If i am reading your post right, i am to plug that long fuse tap into fuse 9 (after i remove it) of my corolla (which is the cigarette lighter fuse), then attach the female socket to the blue part of the fuse tap right?

Gabolinche, that was VERY helpful. I think i have a gameplan set up because this sounds easier now.

I am planning on buying this:
http://dx.com/p/diy-car-cigarette-l...gclid=COOPjduUlrwCFUMV7AodTiMACQ#.UuIFxaNOKSM

If i am reading your post right, i am to plug that long fuse tap into fuse 9 (after i remove it) of my corolla (which is the cigarette lighter fuse), then attach the female socket to the blue part of the fuse tap right?

The add-a-fuse has two fuse slots. Look at the instructions to see which one will replace the one you removed to plug in the add-a-fuse, and which one goes with the dash cam. I would have to check, but I believe my cigarette lighter (2012 Nissan Rogue) had a 15A fuse and I added another 15A fuse to the add-a-fuse for the camera. I had to cut, strip, and splice the ends of the add-a-fuse and the female cig lighter adapter with a wing nut since they didn't match.

No need to damage/cut anything in your fuse box or camera. Looks like your kit should work, but I can't see what the ends of the wires are like on the adaptor, so maybe expect to have to cut them both.

Last thing you should know: the black wire of the cig lighter adaptor needs to be grounded (connect or fuse the reds together). I just found a pre-drilled hole in the car frame close by and put a nut/bolt through it with the black wire (stripped) hooked onto it.

I checked my owner's manual, and the corolla also uses a 15A fuse for the cigarette lighter.

If I understand correctly, I am going to remove the lighter fuse, plug in the add-a-fuse, then re-plugin the lighter fuse into the add-a-fuse right?

I just bought the item a few minutes ago, so I obviously have to wait till it comes in before I go to work. When it comes in, I will update this thread.

Thanks again :)

I checked my owner's manual, and the corolla also uses a 15A fuse for the cigarette lighter.

If I understand correctly, I am going to remove the lighter fuse, plug in the add-a-fuse, then re-plugin the lighter fuse into the add-a-fuse right?

I just bought the item a few minutes ago, so I obviously have to wait till it comes in before I go to work. When it comes in, I will update this thread.

Thanks again :)
Correct. You will also need another fuse (15A) for the camera. The add-a-fuse has two fuse slots.

That's correct. The original fuse usually goes in the bottom slot of the piggy back fuse and the fuse for you camera goes in the top slot.

Ohhh, ok. This is starting to make more sense now.

The extra 15A fuse for my camera, do I need to buy another fuse separately or does it come in the kit? I can't really tell.

If I were to buy an extra one, how will I know that it is compatible? Any good recommendations?

If you have any sense you would put a 2 amp fuse in the camera You only use 15 amp fuses on high draw circuits.
A camera draws less than 1 amp and if you put a 15 amp fuse on it and it faults it could burn your car down before the fuse blows.

You also need to be sure that the fuse you tap into actually turns off with the ignition.

If you have no idea of what you are doing ask someone who does. Its safer than coning out and finding a smoking pile of rubbish.

The extra 15A fuse for my camera, do I need to buy another fuse separately or does it come in the kit? I can't really tell. If I were to buy an extra one, how will I know that it is compatible? Any good recommendations?
The kit probably wont have the fuse. For the cig lighter leave the original 15A fuse. For the camera circuit, use the smallest value fuse you can find (probably around 5A will be the smallest one available). The camera will only draw less than 2A so you need a fuse that protects it from anything above that. Just use the smallest one available wherever you buy it.

You can get a 2 amp fuse. My kit came with 5, 10 and 15 amp fuses. I'm using the 5amp at the moment but will be switching to 2 amp when they arrive. I'll be powering two cams in my car.

If you have any sense you would put a 2 amp fuse in the camera You only use 15 amp fuses on high draw circuits.
A camera draws less than 1 amp and if you put a 15 amp fuse on it and it faults it could burn your car down before the fuse blows.

You also need to be sure that the fuse you tap into actually turns off with the ignition.

If you have no idea of what you are doing ask someone who does. Its safer than coning out and finding a smoking pile of rubbish.
Ok, so basically only use a 2A fuse for the camera circuit. The only reason I asked about the 15 was because an earlier poster was talking about using a 15A for the cam.
The kit probably wont have the fuse. For the cig lighter leave the original 15A fuse. For the camera circuit, use the smallest value fuse you can find (probably around 5A will be the smallest one available). The camera will only draw less than 2A so you need a fuse that protects it from anything above that. Just use the smallest one available wherever you buy it.
Ok, noted.

Am I still going to be removing the 15A cig lighter fuse, then pluggin in the add-a-fuse, then replugging the 15A AND 2A into the add-a-fuse?

Am I still going to be removing the 15A cig lighter fuse, then pluggin in the add-a-fuse, then replugging the 15A AND 2A into the add-a-fuse?
That is correct. Just make sure you plug the 15A and 2A in the correct slots of the add-a-fuse.

Regarding this question, you are also correct. The female socket has two wires (red and black, positive and ground) so you're going to connect the red one (positive) from the female socket into the blue part of the fuse tap. The black one (ground) you have to ground it, as mentioned before by patzan, you'll do this by finding a nearby bolt where you can connect the black wire to any unpainted part of your car's metal frame.

Ok, the original 15A cig lighter fuse will be plugged into the bottom part of the add-a-fuse. And the new 2A one will be plugged into the top part.

Ok, again thanks guys for your help. I will update this thread when the items arrive to double check!

Back