How bad is the damage?

MrFluff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've recently experienced issues with my dash cam. I know there's a Mobius related forum but I think this is more general in relation to the damage.

The dash cam has been outside for a while. I used electrical tape to cover the wire but it seems the connection got damaged at the bridge.

Here are some pictures:

B6oLMWF.jpg

tW1Oy2E.jpg

On the recordings, only sound work. Video is all black.
The main board is fine. Worse case, I imagine I'll need a new cable and/or bridge and/or lens.

Can I salvage anything here? Is there any way I can get the corrosion off of the cables?

Is this the extension where it meets the lens? I would say it's a replacement for sure

It would be helpful to see the other side of the lens ribbon cable with the pins. Are they damaged? Perhaps they need to be flattened and cleaned?
As for cleaning and removing the corrosion I would recommend Caig Labs DeoxIT. They make a variety of excellent products that are available in small tubes or spray cans. I would consider DeoxIT D5. Then use DeoxIT Shield.

Here is a PDF link with some basic information about their products.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Yes, it's the extension where it meets the lens. The big black cylinder is the lens.
Here are some more pictures:
jgf4n3N.jpg

hldTf2t.jpg

B5WT0Lg.jpg

h6X8med.jpg

As for deoxit, I just looked and it seems it's not easy to find in Canada. With shipping it may be as much, if not more as a new lens.

The bridge looks completely fried. I'm not sure about the cables even with the deoxit product. I was thinking maybe soaking it in isopropyl? afraid it'd damage the rest of the ribbon though.

The ribbon cables from the lens on the Mobius are known to be fragile. The extension cable is cheap so easy to replace yet the lens module is a bit more.

I would try to clean, inspect them and everything as much as possible, and then reassemble everything. I would think parts need to be replaced. Not having it in front of me, it's hard to see what's damaged.

Was it used as a security cam outside?

The ribbon cables from the lens on the Mobius are known to be fragile. The extension cable is cheap so easy to replace yet the lens module is a bit more.

I would try to clean, inspect them and everything as much as possible, and then reassemble everything. I would think parts need to be replaced. Not having it in front of me, it's hard to see what's damaged.

Was it used as a security cam outside?

Camera was used as a motorcycle dash cam, as one of my little projects.
Here's the thread: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-hardwired-to-a-motorcycle.5489/
Post #13 is where/how it got damaged.
I thought my setup covered the water everywhere, which it did on the lens and the board. I guess the electrical tape didn't cover it at the bridge though. It's near impossible to cover with heatshrink cable because of the shape.

How would you go about to clean it? DeoxIt seem like a good product but I can't find an online Canadian store close to me that has it. Cable is like 10$ with bridge. Lens is 40-50$. I'm not even sure DeoxIt would work.

Any other, easier to find, product I could use? I read some threads about isopropyl alcohol or 5% vinegar with some water to try and clean off the corrosion.

I think GJHS is on the right track. Buy a new extension cable and see if you can salvage the lens.
Isopropyl is not the right thing. You need a contact cleaner to dissolve and treat the corrosion.

Deoxit is available from a number of suppliers in Canada if you look around. Perhaps, the easiest source is Amazon.

I have found it to be an excellent product to keep around as it has many uses. If purchased in small quantities, like I mentioned previously it is affordable.

One example from Amazon Canada is HERE.
Or HERE

Deoxit is not the only product out there. A visit to any electronics store should turn up a contact cleaning solution that would be worth trying before you need to resort to replacing the lens.

A lot of problems stem from the ribbon cables, so be gentle with them.

I did a little more poking around on the Amazon and found what appears to be the very best bargain for small tubes of all four main types of DeoxIT (enough for many applications). You get an amazing break in the price for buying the sample kit with all four types.

deoxit.jpg

It can be found here on Canada Amazon.

It can be found here on US Amazon.

I did a little more poking around on the Amazon and found what appears to be the very best bargain for small tubes of all four main types of DeoxIT (enough for many applications). You get an amazing break in the price for buying the sample kit with all four types.

View attachment 6236

It can be found here on Canada Amazon.

It can be found here on US Amazon.
Wow, that's amazing!

Thank you for finding that and the links!

I'll order a pair and see what I can salvage.

I tried an electrical contact cleaner on the cables and no dice. I even 'soaked' the bridge in the contact cleaner and no luck (pretty sure this bridge is dead). However, I really don't think the product I have is very good.

As for the cable being fragile... I've bent it, put it in awkward places and outright abused it and it has surprised me by holding up. This time it seems like water got under the electrical tape during the last storm and pooled there and corroded the cables/bridge. A shame! The shape is really awkward to waterproof.

From what you describe it may be beyond repair. Still, it's worth a try. As a tinkerer with many electronic gadgets and projects I find that DeoxIt is great stuff to keep around for all kinds of uses, so you wouldn't go wrong ordering it even if it doesn't fix the problem. I highly recommend downloading that PDF I mentioned earlier to gain a little understanding of what each product is for. Apparently, DeoxIT is the one contact cleaner that can actually chemically deal with corrosion, so if anything can fix your extension contacts, DeoxIT can.

Edit: If DeoxIt is used to clean a corroded electrical switch, the trick would be to apply maybe two drops to the contacts and work the switch on and off several times. So, in the same way, if it is used to clean the contacts on the corroded lens module plugs and the extension cable, the method would be to insert and remove the cable pins several times after applying a SMALL amount of DeoxIT.

Regarding the awkward shape of the Mobius module and ribbons cable, there are better ways to waterproof this project if you should try it again. 3M makes a product called Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape on some packages and 3M Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape elsewhere. It is a stretchy rubber self-fusing tape that forms a completely waterproof seal and can even be used underground. I know it from using it for SW radio antennas and sealing CCTV cable connections. Once it sets it is impossible to remove without a razor blade and a bit of work but this is the stuff you want if you are going to put together a project like this on a motorcycle that is likely to get wet.

I haven't found it yet on Amazon Canada but HERE it is on the USA Amazon. Now that you know what it is you can look around for it if you want to try it.

Rubber.png

Last edited:
Get a teaspoon of baking soda in a 200cc glass of water and a fine artists brush and brush it with that.

That's all Ive ever used to get rid of verdigrease like that.

Has worked for over 40 years OK and costs nothing except a couple of $ for the soda

Well I am impressed...

I just tried the baking soda trick because I didn't think I have anything to lose and lo and behold...

egmW8RR.jpg

Lens ribbon is damaged as it's missing some of the gold connections. I dunked the bridge in there to help clean the corrosion but it looks pretty damaged too.

Thanks Hillbilly!

As a small edit: that bridge is actually dead and just snapped. Anybody have just the bridge?

Last edited:
Ha ha Just goes to prove Granny's remedies still work (Or in this case Grandads) LOL

Get wifies hairdryer and give it a blow on low heat to get all moisture out of little crevices

I'm familiar with using baking soda on car battery terminals but I've never considered using it on more delicate electronic connections. Not something I would usually consider putting water on. It's very cool that this works!
Too bad about the lens ribbon but it looks like it still might function. Worth a try at least.

I'm familiar with using baking soda on car battery terminals but I've never considered using it on more delicate electronic connections. Not something I would usually consider putting water on. It's very cool that this works!
Too bad about the lens ribbon but it looks like it still might function. Worth a try at least.

Being a tight b**tard I dont like buying expensive things when free ones work best. Have used this a lot when batteries have corroded in remote controls and other things and have found that as long as you dry it off properly before applying power it usually works. Dont recommend it on circuit boards although I did resurrect a Playstaton once that a cat had peed on. That stuff is very corrosive LOL. Wasnt going to lose much so gave it a wash and dried it out for a few days and it worked for a while.

I wouldnt be surprised if the magic stuff they sell contains baking soda anyway.

You are a brave man trying to fix a PlayStation that a cat pissed on! :p Cat piss is the worst! And you never know about how things will go with electronics and water. I accidentally put my cell phone through the washing machine and after drying it out with a hair dryer and letting it sit a few days it was like it never happened.

I think I'll always have to keep some baking soda with me.

Now, any idea where I can get the bridge connection? My extension cable looks fine but the bridge snapped. I can't seem to find it on its own.

Back