How do you like the suction cup mounting used with your dashcam?

Poki

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a new dashcam but notice that some of theme do not come with 3M adhesive mounting disc. It looks like the Chinese cameras only come with suction cup. My older model Skyview G1 cam with both a 3M disc and suction cup, but the new models do not.

I've never used my camera with the suction cup, so I'm wondering how they turn out for those that used theme as a permanent mounting solution.

I have the joovuu x camera i test on a suction cup mount provided by joovuu ( not sure if the suction cup is a part of the final camera )
Anyway, i have it on the dotted area of my windscreen, and it have stayed there for a lot of months by now, even when i was rear ended, but in all fairness that was a pretty mondane hit.
I have even used the camera on the suction cup mount on the outside of my windscreen this past summer, worked perfect up to the 90 km/h i was doing.
Offocurse for that outside test the USB wire was secured to the camera with duct tape acting like a sort of safty line if the thing should fall off.

Trying the same suctioncup and camera in my sisters car was a faliure, in her car the cam would only hold to the dotted area for a minute or 2.
For my permanent cameras i offcourse use the permanent mounts glued on to the windscreen, but 2 of my other cameras is on DIY mounts made with neodynium magnets.

I think suction cup is better, because you can remove dvr, 3M Sticker is a little trouble if you need move dvr to another place

I think suction cup is better, because you can remove dvr, 3M Sticker is a little trouble if you need move dvr to another place

Obviously, but does it hold? I've had my Skyview camera on my windshield for over a year.

I have a G1W clone and the suction seems to suck (pun not intended) in cold weather. The cold makes the plastic stiff and when the camera mount wiggles due to bumpy road, there's no flexing at the base of suction cup. The whole suction cup moves instead and that breaks the vacuum, causing the camera to fall down.

I have used cams with suction cup mounts for 3 years or so. The longest they seem to stay 'stuck' is around 2 months. That's not a deal breaker for me. I can live with that. I probably average a month or so.

I have recently put double sided 3M tape on my suction cup holder.. tired of it falling off. Remains to be seen how long this will last.. and if I will have regrets when I want to take it off.

All my three cameras came with suction cup mounts. The G1W came with a ball-joint type suction cup, the nut and screw shattered to pieces after only two weeks of use but the suction cup never fell during the three months I used it.

Both the G1W-H and the AT11DA came with this one:
Suction cup mount.jpg
When I replaced the G1W-H by the AT11DA in September 2015 I kept the H's suction cup (the T-brackets are interchangeable) and never had it falling off either.

There are many different suction cup mounts on the market of varying quality. Some are made with higher quality silicone rubber and are better designed to create a tighter vacuum seal so they tend to hold very well for longer periods of time. The cheaper ones not so much. (They tend to "suck" :D)

Can one change or replace the suction cup of any dashcam?

Obviously, but does it hold? I've had my Skyview camera on my windshield for over a year.
Sooner or later a suctioncup will fall of the windscreen. How long it will stay depends on the windscreen (curved, dotted area), temperature, quality of suctioncup and probably more.

I tested quite a few Chinese cameras with suction cups two years ago and none of them stayed for very long, the worst fell down after 5-10 min. Rubber was stiff even with summertemps, in wintertime I suspect it wouldn't have attached itself to the windscreen at all.

I sell Eeyelog E730 and they come with adhesive mount. I offer Eeyelog suctioncup as an option. I tested the suctioncup this summer and it was actually quite good, on par with suctioncups from Garmin. I removed it after 7 weeks though. Eeyelog E73A is new model with a ball-lock mount. I suggested ball-lock for Eeyelog a year or so ago because it's a very simple, short and reliable bracket that allow for 3 axis adjustment. Maybe it also will be available with adhesive mount.

One of the strongest, reliable and durable Suction Cup mounts I have experienced comes from "Arkon", which Garmin uses.

Sooner or later a suctioncup will fall of the windscreen.
I've been using the "cheap" suction cup that came with the G1W-H since May 2015, kept it for the AT11DA (which is heavier than the G1W-H) and it never fell off once. I only took it off 3 times, once in October 2015 and the other two times when I was "testing" the Mobius and the MateGo early this year.

Back