Lateral dashcam with G1W/G1WH

chris-s

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S-2CH, DR750X-2CH, A129-DUO, many others...
Hi !

I've installed a G1W for lateral vision.

G1W/G1WH is perfect because of reduced angle 120° compared to 170° of the 0803 and A118.
It allows to show more details outside of the car, expescially licence plates through windscreen.

Succion mount has been replaced by 3M adhesive mount ordered @estore009

Here's videos and pictures, easiest way for me to explain you all of this :D

111.jpg

211.jpg

312.jpg

411.jpg

Last edited:
WHOA. I've been waiting a long time for someone to post this kind of setup. Could you make those pictures bigger please ? :)

That looks good and the footage is great but if you have A pillar airbags that is going to hurt if you're caught in an accident!

I've no airbag here on this car ;)
Only dashboard airbag.

Bigger pictures uploaded. 640x480

Yep, looks kinda bad. I mean not bad, but rather inaesthetic.

Also, most of us do not have plastic on the lateral pillars but fabric (or leather by case).

This is where you need that nice gold Mini 0803 Chris :D

For a lateral view I have one of my older cameras (DR32) mounted on the rear left window of my extended cab pick-up truck. The glass is darkly tinted so the camera is invisible from outside the vehicle. This works well enough that I may put a camera on the other side of my vehicle although I do seem to get better results shooting at 720 @60 fps with a side facing cam. This is an interesting idea as well, however it does seem the camera itself is fairly intrusive and very noticeable from outside the vehicle. The Mobius with a wide angle (B) lens might be a good candidate for this application........more discreet and stealthy. It could even be mounted on the windshield itself up in the far right corner. There's even been some occasional discussion here at DCT about using two Mobius cameras on either side of the windshield to capture a wide panorama with overlapped coverage and much more of a lateral view than you could get with a single wide angle camera in the center.

Last edited:
Added a sequence at the end of the video showing the 0803 footage at the same moment.

Yep, looks kinda bad. I mean not bad, but rather inaesthetic.
Also, most of us do not have plastic on the lateral pillars but fabric (or leather by case).
It my job's car, I don't care about esthetic ;)
All car are differents. What may work on mine will not work on an other one.
On my personal Citroën Berlingo, lateral cameras will be placed behind front seat, at the sides.
More discreet than what I've done on Kangoo, it is closed behind front seats.

This is where you need that nice gold Mini 0803 Chris :D
No thanks :p And my mini 0803 is shared with a dark grey vehicle.

When my G1WH will be installed to record right lateral side, I will have a 360° vision ;)

All you need now is some software like they use for Google Streetview to glue it all together and you could get a 360 view at any point! There's an idea for the dash cam makers :)

All you need now is some software like they use for Google Streetview to glue it all together and you could get a 360 view at any point! There's an idea for the dash cam makers :)

yep, may be a dome with 4 internal cameras that stays right next to the door lights. Hmmm...

31AiX%2BggWYL.jpg

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "next to the door lights" but a waterproof camera dome like that could easily be on the roof. Could be cool!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "next to the door lights" but a waterproof camera dome like that could easily be on the roof. Could be cool!

Yes, the center light that lights up when the doors are open.

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, the center light that lights up when the doors are open.

hqdefault.jpg

Oh, now I see what you mean. That's traditionally called an interior "dome light", not a "door light" but yes it does come on when you open the doors.
Anyway, I do think I'd rather have a 4 camera dome on the roof with an unrestricted 360 degree view.

Oh, now I see what you mean. That's traditionally called an interior "dome light", not a "door light" but yes it does come on when you open the doors.
Anyway, I do think I'd rather have a 4 camera dome on the roof with an unrestricted 360 degree view.

Putting camera on top of car will look weird even if it's small not to mention it has to be secured to avoid someone yanking it off.

1178207800_WtKoC-M.jpg

pov.hd-camera-head-on-car-roof-2000x1119.jpg

Yeah, it would look weird. In fact it would look like an old fashioned bubble gum light on a police car. I was really talking functionality rather than aesthetics but I suppose if the base were matched to the cars finish a design could be made to blend in.
If properly secured it wouldn't get stolen. In fact, dome cameras like that are called "vandal domes' because they are designed to be secure.

Hah, I found a photo of an old police car with a "bubble gum machine" dome light.

OldSheriffsCare.jpg

Last edited:
i know this is an old thread, but i think that if the cameras were all mounted in one place in the center (whether inside or outside) it would not give good view for front and back because of the distance from the front and rear bumpers. ideally the front and rear cams would be mounted at the top center of the windscreen and back glass, and side cameras could be mounted either below the wing mirrors or perhaps on the dome light, or as Chris has done, on the A (or maybe B)-pillars. having it on the B-pillars would give more view of the interior and occupants, depending on the vehicle.

having them on the inside protects them from theft, and makes sure that the glass they're looking through is cleared by the windshield wipers and demister/defroster, whereas an external camera won't have those benefits. and have you ever seen the google street view cars? their cameras are mounted on a mast so they actually get a good view without including too much of the vehicle itself. there's no way to make that look aesthetically pleasing unless you're a geek. ;)

device-carousel1.jpg

Back