LogMeIn cancels Free service today with no warning. $#!#-storm ensues.

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
used logmein a long time ago, have been using TeamViewer for remote access, works great, and still free

That seems to be the suggested free remote access alternative after reading all the replies on both threads I posted about. Does TeamViewer have an iOS/Anrdoid app? (or is it mobile web compatible?) I was always impressed how well the iOS LogMeIn Ignition app worked. (mouse pointer stays in the middle of the screen as you move the screen around behind the mouse. (single tap to click, two finger = right click etc)

TeamViewer has an app, have never used it to be honest so not not sure how it compares, I just use it for desktop to desktop use and it works very well for that, I access my computer at home from China using this

TeamViewer works great! iOS app is even better than Ignition. A+ !
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

A3zocEMl.png
pCt12eml.png
PwWAvRpl.png

Team viewer has always worked fine for me .....when i have technical problems (which in the past have been often) I have a friend in the ukraine who comes to my rescue....Many thanks Grigory :D

I like the title of this tread. "$#!#-storm ensues" :D

Change is allways good, but it is never fun when it suddenly is forced upon one with no warning.

I've used Splashtop on my GS4. Mostly just to keep my Netflix going on my PC from bed without getting up at night. It is free to control a PC over same network WiFi, but 16 dollars a year from true remote access regardless of what network your phone is on.

After a long search I subscribed to SplashTop but found on an older PC the screen refresh took painfully long so as to be unusable. Yet TeamViewer and LogMeIn worked fine on that same PC and at times I'd have both programs running. LogMeIn was the main program I used and TeamViewer was also available in case LogMeIn failed. Check the SplashTop equipment requirements before you commit. There is no trial for the Personal version but looks like a 7 day trial for the Business version. For now I'll use TeamViewer without a an alternate.

I was happy to pay the annual LogMeIn fee the last few years for Ignition, but they had to be greedy and ask for even more money.

I'm totally happy on the free TeamViewer now. It works great. I have all my friends and family connected that I need to play IT Support for. I'm no longer limited to 10 computers either.

The only thing I don't like so far on TeamViewer is the sponsored nag ware popup thanking me for playing fair after my session disconnects.

I goggled up a fix, but didn't try it yet.
(EDIT, It Works!)

http://teamviewerforums.com/index.php?topic=1255.0
(see page 3)

Run regedit ("windows" + "r" then type: regedit)
Navigate to \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TeamViewerSession\shell\open\command
Right click on Default in right window & select 'Modify' (not 'Modify Binary Data')
Delete details in 'Value data' box

not a big deal I feel, I think considering how well it works and it's free I'll put up with it

have been using the program for quite a few years and they have been constantly adding features, the chat, wake on lan etc, very useful stuff, and still free to use

not a big deal I feel, I think considering how well it works and it's free I'll put up with it

have been using the program for quite a few years and they have been constantly adding features, the chat, wake on lan etc, very useful stuff, and still free to use

I'm quite impressed with TeamViewer very powerful.

The popup screws/holds up my Media Center HTPC requiring a manual click of the mouse. I just confirmed the above registry entry fix works! (no more popups) :)

I found an even better & easier another one!

Chrome Remote Desktop
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp/

Works great, I'm impressed. (also free, no nagware, nothing heavy to install while on friends remote computers)

TIP: If you think it's stuck on "loading" there is actually a new window on the task bar you need to click on and input your password. (don't sit and wait like I did)

EDIT: There are a few advanced things I can only do on Teamviewer, so I'll still use both.
(like sending Windows + R or X commands etc)

EDIT 2, I stand corrected (I think?)
7fZvLec.png

That hyper link points here but I don't see it.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1649523?hl=en

EDIT 3, here we go just right click the Remote Desktop App at chrome://apps/
EkYghzg.png

Last edited:
No free Logmein is a great disappointment for all logmein users. However, you may try alternaives such as R-HUB, gotomypc, teamviewer etc.

TeamViewer works just fine. Yesterday I used it to install Ubuntu 15 in Oracle VirtualBox on remote machine (can't be arsed to drive 300 miles to do it in person).

Back