Lost clips? G1WH

ThePro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC, G1WH, A118, Mobius, etc
I've had this issue lately where my G1WH suddenly stops recording (or saving clips) on longer drives (about 30+ min). I have the screet set to turn off after 3 minutes.

First time, I was driving downtown and saw a car run a red light, I press the mode button to protect the clip, but nothing happens. Then I see the LED light isn't on, when it should be red or blue/red if it's charging, so I turned it on manually and it started right out.

Today I was driving home and lost the last 15 minutes of the drive. It wasn't a specially hot day, as the camera has ran fine in 95 degree days. Today was only 80.

What could it be? Has anyone had this issue?

I had a G1WH in my wife's car until a few months ago. It would periodically 'hiccup' on hot, sunny days - she has no choice but to park facing directly south facing into the sun. Symptoms were similar to what you describe: 1) would not start recording or, 2) start recording and produce 1 or more corrupt files then stop.

Edit: (Got to quit being so quick on the 'enter' key :( ) - This was the only issue I had with the camera. On cooler days, or overcast days, it worked fine. Not something I wanted to worry about so when she was rear-ended I replaced them with capacitor based cameras and have had no issues since.

No corrupt files though, it just starts up recording well and out of nowhere it seems to turn off, leaving a clean clip that's not the full time.

For example today it left a 4:46 clip mid-drive when it's set to record 5:00. It didn't start recording until I restarted the car to see if the cam was working.

OK, not the same thing. I would probably check the SD card next to make sure it's not somehow playing into the problem.

Nope. Even though I've had a few issues with it, a Chkdsk shows no corrupt anything, and it doesn't behave like the last time a card died on it. It just turns off and can easily be restarted with the on button.

...Even though I've had a few issues with it, a Chkdsk shows no corrupt anything...
That would be a big red flag to me. Cards are cheap enough that I'd get a known good one and see if the problems go away.

Nope. Even though I've had a few issues with it, a Chkdsk shows no corrupt anything, and it doesn't behave like the last time a card died on it. It just turns off and can easily be restarted with the on button.
A bad card can make the camera turn itself off. How often do you empty the card?

Sorry to double-post, but today I went for a drive and the cam didn't start up at all. It just went directly to the blue light to indicate it was off and charging. I turned it on manually and it started right up.

I'm beginning to think it's something to do with the power adapter or something related to that.

The 3 most common user-repairable problems are SD Card, Power supply, and firmware- and usually taken in that order.

It takes a standard 5V input which you can tap off a PC (not all laptops/tablets provide enough amperage at the USB port) or you can try a good-quality phone charger. Also some cars cut power to the cigarette lighter during starter operation which can confuse a cam loading it's OS. Turn the car switch to on, let the cam fully load and start recording, then hit the starter and see if the cam drops out, and if it works correctly thereafter.

Phil

Sorry to double-post, but today I went for a drive and the cam didn't start up at all. It just went directly to the blue light to indicate it was off and charging. I turned it on manually and it started right up.

I'm beginning to think it's something to do with the power adapter or something related to that.
Maybe not related to the power adaptor itself but most likely with the power. You can always try to power up the camera using a different power source outside the car to see if it starts normally, like Phil mentioned.

Back