Mobius in motion detect mode

horaceCJ

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Mobius A/B/C / 808 #16D
I saw somebody else was interested in the subject, so I'm starting a new thread with my tests results and some details of the way this feature works.
My configuration was:
- FW v1.13
- Motion Detect: On
- Motion Sensitivity: High
- Motion Timeout: 60s
- Video Data Rate: Standard
- Video Clip Length: 3 Mins.
- Power Off Disconnect: Immediate
I think these are enough for what I'm writing below.

Recording delay is between 1.33 and 2 seconds. The camera was in stand-by and I started my windscreen whipers (single cycle). Their movement started the recording but it didn't show in the video. Starting another whiping I counted that one cycle is 40 frames long (~1.33 seconds). The upper limit (2 seconds) is a guesstimate.

Sensitivity: I parked the car in a mall and noticed the following (see attachment motion detect sensitivity.jpg):
- motion in green area (10 meters, even pedestrians) started the recording
- motion in smaller (red) areas didn't start the recording
- (from another scene) pedestrian in front of the car (on the edge of the picture) will not start recording if he's just moving his head

Continous driving and recording:
I drove for 45 kilometers in daylight and I got 42:18 minutes of continous recording in 14 files with 1 second overlap (see atachment motion detect 42 minutes.jpg). Two of the files were 3:03 long, I don't know why, but I noticed that from time to time in the last FW too (12*3:01 + 2*3:03 = 42:18). I drove for few minutes on a foggy motorway (the only motion was the road paitings and parapets) and I had only one red traffic light for about 70 seconds, but recording was kept alive by other cars passing by.

Recorded files:
The recording will allways last a specified time (Motion Timeout) from the last detection of a motion. Examples (for 60 seconds timeout and 3 minutes clips):
- single file of 2:20 > last motion was detected at 1:20
- two files 3:01 and 0:30 > last motion was detected at 2:30 and until then other motions were detected at least one per 60 seconds

Power off disconnect - for me it seems like a bug, someone reported it also in the RC forum:
- camera is recording and the power is cut: nothing happens (I suppose the camera will remain in motion detect mode until the battery runs out)
- camera is not recording (waiting for movement) and the power is cut: the camera shuts down (according to Power Off Disconnect parameter)

That's it at the moment, hope it clarifies the way it works. I'll keep the configuration for few days to see how it works in city and night driving.
motion detect sensitivity.jpgmotion detect 42 minutes.jpg

Edit (03.01.2013): The Power Off Disconnect bug was reported to the developer thanks to Isoprop and Tom Frank.

Last edited:
I also noticed that the Mobius in Motion Detect while active does not power off, but that may be able to be explained via the programming interface.

Power on/off via the 5v usb input option is disabled/off in programming when you set for Motion detect.

When you have the Mobius set for MD and you turn on your ignition/power the yellow light comes on solid to indicate it see power and is charging, but the video does not activate (even if you wave in front of the camera). The camera must be turned on via the power button.

I would like to set it up for motion detect AND auto power on/off via the 5V but apparently can not. I use a multi-flip switch unit to control my GPS, car charger, and Mobius tucked next to my seat. Did it that way so I can manually turn everything on/off independent of the ignition; want to leave Mobius on while parked at the theater, etc, with car off.

When out driving for the day I typically leave the Mobius running, but when I'm parked up to a wall I'd rather not be recording unless it sees motion.

This is my first post here and I must say I love the Mobius. I have three of them and have enjoyed them a lot. I used to have a gawdy DVR in my work van that drew too much attention - theft bait. The Mobius tucks in behind the mirror perfectly.

Last edited:
I also noticed that the Mobius in Motion Detect while active does not power off, but that may be able to be explained via the programming interface.

Power on/off via the 5v usb input option is disabled/off in programming when you set for Motion detect.

When you have the Mobius set for MD and you turn on your ignition/power the yellow light comes on solid to indicate it see power and is charging, but the video does not activate (even if you wave in front of the camera). The camera must be turned on via the power button.

I would like to set it up for motion detect AND auto power on/off via the 5V but apparently can not. I use a multi-flip switch unit to control my GPS, car charger, and Mobius tucked next to my seat. Did it that way so I can manually turn everything on/off independent of the ignition; want to leave Mobius on while parked at the theater, etc, with car off.

I tested out motion detection indoors today (Lens A; Lens B is in the car freezing it's ass off)
It's -25C right now, so no outdoor stuff for me at the moment :)
It does auto start and go into standby when external power is applied.
If you walk in front of it or wave your hand mine does start recording. I don't have to press the power button!
I would imagine that when you drive off in the car it would start recording as well.
The issue is when external power is removed it does not stop. It will continue to be either recording or on standby waiting for motion to occur.
I guess this would go on until the internal battery was depleted, unless manually stopped.
You are right about the interface changing when MD is selected, the Power on/off via external power option is greyed out and cannot be toggled.
What we need of course in MD is Auto Off when external power is removed for dash cam usage.

Last edited:
Will fuss with it some more.

I swear it wouldn't power up and record even with me waving in front of it .... hmm. Oh well, not turning off when it is in MD recording when powering off is enough for me to put MD on the shelf for now anyway. I am sure they will fix that flaw soon.

I used High sensitivity with a 60 sec time out. What did you use?

Lowest sensitivity (so it would record when driving, don't care about pedestrian 100' away) and 30 sec timeout. I will try it again later and see if something got past me. Having three Mobius cameras I need to put stickers on them!! 1,2,3.

EDIT - I stand corrected - it does start recording!

What messed me up is it doesn't light up the rear red LED until it has started recording for the first time.

OK - well I can live with manually turning it off at the end of the day + power.

Last edited:
Motion detect mode is activated only 5 seconds after the camera is turned on, maybe that's why you thought the recording is not starting. According to Tom Frank this was implemented in order to give you some time to mount the camera, to get out of the scene, to switch video modes etc.

Motion detect mode is activated only 5 seconds after the camera is turned on, maybe that's why you thought the recording is not starting. According to Tom Frank this was implemented in order to give you some time to mount the camera, to get out of the scene, to switch video modes etc.

that makes sense for the R/C usage which realistically is the majority of their customer base

Yes, of course, I don't see its utility in dashcam usage. However, it's important to know about it if you use the function.

PS: Are you ALWAYS online? :)

After some more tests (using the same configuration as stated in the first post) I estimate (more precisely) that the recording delay is around 1.7 seconds.
During night city trips (with street lights and Christmas lights on) I had continuous recording from departure to destination, even though I stopped at a few red lights with duration under one minute. Traffic in front of my car maintain recording on.
I parked on a one way street (low street lights) with one lane and parking places on both sides. Cars passing by were triggering the recording (see attachment night motion detect first frame.jpg, but pedestrians on the opposite sidewalk did not kept the recording on (see attachment night motion detect pedestrian.jpg).
I haven't noticed anything special during daytime except that cars moving very-very slow (like trying to park or to squeeze between parked cars) at about 15 meters in front of the camera didn't keep the recording on (previously started by another event).

In conclusion, I think the camera can be used as a dashcam in motion detect mode, but one must pay attention to the following:
- recording delay
- power should be always on
- long time parking near heavy traffic will cause continuous recording (maybe other sensitivity levels would help?)
- stand-by will generate some heat and this might cause problems in summer time

My personal choice (I'm 75% determined - have to see how it would look) is to install a second Mobius (with wide lens) as a rear/parking camera above the central rear view mirror.
night motion detect first frame.jpg night motion detect pedestrian.jpg

I seem to be having trouble with MD. I power it up, and it seems to start recording due to MD, just by my carrying it around, without pressing the shutter. I plug it in using a powered USB hub connected to nothing but the camera, and walk away for a while. I come back, walking in front of it and the rear light is solid, and the top light is "yellow" (looks amber to me). It does not seem to be recording.

It seemed to make 1 additional clip after I set it down, what triggered it I don't know. But no clip from my return.

Time stamp On
Power on delay "Fast"
Power off disconnect "Immediate"
USB charging "Enable"

Looping is off
Sensitivity is High
Motion Timeout is 60s
Clips are 3 Mins

Last edited:
Make sure that powered USB hub is capable of 1A output per port as some are limited to 500mA.
I have been using a Lens B in MD mode for several weeks now without any issues. Auto start and more importantly stop (due to a bug in FW 1.13) work ok as long as it's recording when ignition is turned off.

Make sure that powered USB hub is capable of 1A output per port as some are limited to 500mA.
I have been using a Lens B in MD mode for several weeks now without any issues. Auto start and more importantly stop (due to a bug in FW 1.13) work ok as long as it's recording when ignition is turned off.

The power supply for the hub is capable of 2.5 amps. My next experiment will be without power to see if it behaves the same way.

I have a 32G Class 10 SanDisk card in it. At first I had a SanDisk Ultra but found out soon that doesn't work in a Mobius. I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off with a class 4.

I use nothing but Class 4 cards in all my cams so far. Mobius works with some Class 10 cards but Sandisk in particular causes issues in some dash cams, especially the UHS-1 variety.

I have a 32G Class 10 SanDisk card in it. At first I had a SanDisk Ultra but found out soon that doesn't work in a Mobius. I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off with a class 4.
I use nothing but Class 4 cards in all my cams so far. Mobius works with some Class 10 cards but Sandisk in particular causes issues in some dash cams, especially the UHS-1 variety.

All three of my Mobius are using the Sandisk Ultra Class 10 / UHS-1 cards http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-for-android/?capacity=64GB (1 x 64Gb and 2 x 32Gb - I've never had any problems.)

I run all my Mobius at 1080p and the high bit rate as well.

Perhaps there is some other problem?

My experience over the last year was different. I've had 2 Sandisk Class 10 cards fail and be replaced for free. The replacement UHS-1 card from Sandisk directly (ruling out a fake) gives memory errors in my GT300W after a few mins usage. Repeatedly. A Class 4 Sandisk works without any problems in the same camera. Never tried it in the Mobius. Perhaps your cams can just handle the UHS-1. As far as dash cam use is concerned (writing data 99.9% of the time) I'm not sure how much difference a Class 10 card would make. Read speeds would be faster, but that's not a big deal as I don't review footage that often anyway.

I seem to be having trouble with MD. I power it up, and it seems to start recording due to MD, just by my carrying it around, without pressing the shutter. I plug it in using a powered USB hub connected to nothing but the camera, and walk away for a while. I come back, walking in front of it and the rear light is solid, and the top light is "yellow" (looks amber to me). It does not seem to be recording.

It seemed to make 1 additional clip after I set it down, what triggered it I don't know. But no clip from my return.

Time stamp On
Power on delay "Fast"
Power off disconnect "Immediate"
USB charging "Enable"

Looping is off
Sensitivity is High
Motion Timeout is 60s
Clips are 3 Mins
I haven't checked any of the LED conditions you mentioned, but if I understand you correctly you are powering your camera from a PC (hub). If this is the case, then the camera is working correctly.
To use external power you need to connect your camera to an external power supply, not to your PC (hub). The majority of people don't usually have their camera connected to a PC when they want to record. If you must use your PC as the power source then you can either cover the 2 USB center pins with insulating tape or you can cut the two data wires.
Now to explain what is happening in your example. If MD is enabled, the camera will start recording immediately you turn it on and it will continue recording until the MD timeout times out or new motion is detected. When the timeout is reached and the camera hasn't been re-triggered the camera will return to MD standby - BUT it will then notice that it's connected to your PC and will connect itself as a removable disk. External disk mode has priority over external USB power.
The same goes for normal recording. Whenever the camera returns to standby it will check the data connection in order to determine what it should do. If it detects a PC, then it will switch to external drive mode. Otherwise it will continue in standby mode observing the standby timeout set. The key to all this is those two data pins.

I hope I correctly understood your question and haven't given you an incorrect reply :)

I haven't checked any of the LED conditions you mentioned, but if I understand you correctly you are powering your camera from a PC (hub). If this is the case, then the camera is working correctly.
To use external power you need to connect your camera to an external power supply, not to your PC (hub). The majority of people don't usually have their camera connected to a PC when they want to record. If you must use your PC as the power source then you can either cover the 2 USB center pins with insulating tape or you can cut the two data wires.
Now to explain what is happening in your example. If MD is enabled, the camera will start recording immediately you turn it on and it will continue recording until the MD timeout times out or new motion is detected. When the timeout is reached and the camera hasn't been re-triggered the camera will return to MD standby - BUT it will then notice that it's connected to your PC and will connect itself as a removable disk. External disk mode has priority over external USB power.
The same goes for normal recording. Whenever the camera returns to standby it will check the data connection in order to determine what it should do. If it detects a PC, then it will switch to external drive mode. Otherwise it will continue in standby mode observing the standby timeout set. The key to all this is those two data pins.

I hope I correctly understood your question and haven't given you an incorrect reply :)

It is a USB hub, but the Mobius is the only thing connected to it. No PC. But the fact that it is a hub may be fooling the Mobius into thinking it is connected to a PC. I will be looking for a 5V 1Amp charger with the correct USB plug and we'll see how that works.

Without power, I got many clips. It seemed to stop recording when the internal battery down about 50%. When I turned it back on it showed 2 flashes.

Back