Mobius mounting solutions

Does any of you guys leave your mobius mounted all the time?

When I first bought mine, my idea was to leave the camera mounted permanently, but unfortunately my cars windshield is so transparent (not the only reason), so anywhere I leave it, it's too visible from the outside.
all the time (almost :) )
If you could use one of Mtz design mounts i believe you could make the mobius almost invisible, but i didn't try so not 100% sure. another option buy an extension lens cable and hide the body of mobius somewhere :)

The camera is very nice and I would be sad to loose it, but depending on where you live and park the car for long term, maybe it's best to use a suction cup mount and remove it while parked.

Does any of you guys leave your mobius mounted all the time?
Mine is pretty well hidden under the mirror, so I never unmounted it yet, but I have it only for 2 weeks. However, I'm planning to use the extenstion cable for a more stealthy mount. FW updates or changes in configuration will be pretty rare, so I'll do them in the car with the laptop. If I need a file, I'll take it either by connecting the Mobius to the phone, either by taking the card out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point @Jim. You should be right with the condensation. At least in winter the probabilities are very high to damage to camera.

As a mounting solution, as long as I cannot leave the camera mounted permanently, at least I managed to have the 3m power cable placed in the car + the suction cup.

Not that happy with the fact that I have to screw the camera everytime ...but at least I don't risk that much.

DSC_3108.jpg DSC_3109.jpg DSC_3106.jpg

Reactions: Jim
if we talk cold weather can a "suction cup" mount get damaged mounted on a heated window? They do fall down during low temperatures but I wonder if heated front or rear window could damage anything

Mhm...even if the suction cup gets damaged by heat or cold, to be honest , I've rather buy another suction cup instead of another camera. :)

Reactions: Jim
So as the car temperature rises with your heater, this would be bad and condensate.
I think Mobius temperature will rise quicker than the temperature of the air inside the car, so it won't be the "target" of condensation. We already had few nights with 0 Celsius degrees and condensation appeared on the mirror, but not on the Mobius lenses.

On the RC Groups Mobius thread, I've read of these cams surviving multiple plane crashes, including immersion in water (crash into ponds, etc). They may be tougher than we know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will post step by step pictures like i did earlier then you see solution. In words it hard to explain.
Can you post at least a drawing about your idea?
I got my camera this week and now I try to make the mounting system. Here is what I did so far(mini-USB with power cable):
Connector.jpgConnector1.jpgConnector2.jpgConnector3.jpgConnector4.jpgConnector5.jpgConnector6.jpg
Originally, I wanted to connect the wires directly into the camera, but then I changed my mind. So I will not touch the camera. Plan was to use a connector like in here:
Idea.JPG
But I do not know what connector to use. Any ideas? I was thinking about USB, but I think that it is not so strong connection.
@niko -> what type of connector are you thinking about?

Reactions: Adi
...and the "one-move" mounting system is ready. The finishing does not look so nice; I was focusing more on the mounting way.
Power is connected to interior lights -> the charger is hidden in between textile material and metal.
2013-12-06-0065.jpg 2013-12-06-0070.jpg 2013-12-06-0073.jpg 2013-12-06-0076.jpg 2013-12-06-0078.jpg 2013-12-06-0080.jpg 2013-12-06-0081.jpg 2013-12-06-0083.jpg 2013-12-06-0084.jpg 2013-12-06-0086.jpg 2013-12-06-0065.jpg

Here is my mounting solution for the rear windshield.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 669
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 646
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 648
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 610
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 606
@MozartMan -> any problems with vibrations affecting the video?
No. That mounting bracket that slides between windshield and headlining is actually attached to the windshield with the stripe of double-sided 3M tape, so it holds very sturdy. And I used Velcro that came with the cam to attached it to the bracket.

Nice job. How long is the USB wire you used and where is it connected to? Thanks in advance :)
USB cable is pretty long, goes all the way to the front passenger legs area and plugged into 12v power hub via USB-to-12v adapter. Power hub is mounted on the side of the center console with double-sided 3M tape. Front Mobius cam plugged into USB port of the power hub.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 282
Back