New thread on polarizer filter for BlackVue DR500GW-HD

The new design looks great erewhon !! I just ordered one from Shapeways too. I do wonder a little if, looking at the last photo posted by Pyarza, the mount would not easily snap off when driving over a bump or such, it seems the "leg" is just over the thickest part of the BlackVue body. And I wonder if the ventilation holes on the DR550 will also not be covered. I'll let you know once I receive it !

Thanks again for all the work you've put in to this !

Hi Tweaker,

The clip-on adapter seems secure when driving over bumps - I've hit several bad bumps lately but the clip-on adapter did not move. When removing the Carry Speed CPL filter for night time driving, however, the adapter can wiggle around a bit, but gives no worry about falling off. I have yet another design in mind for that, however! :) A second adapter piece would extend the clip entirely around the BlackVue body and screw on tight.

On the DR500 the extreme span of the ventilation holes is 14mm. I'm not sure what the span is for the DR550.

When designing the clip-on adapter, I first wrapped a piece of paper around the BlackVue and then marked with a pencil the span of the ventilation holes (see re-enactment below). I then flattened the paper and measured the span at 14mm, and I used that figure to design what part of the circumference of the clip should be raised to clear the holes. If your DR550 has a similar span of 14mm, you should be OK. If not, let me know, and I can change the design.

vent-measure-web-8mm_zps5445077d.jpg

(Edit: replaced erroneous 8mm reference with 14mm.)

Last edited:
I have yet another BlackVue CPL filter adapter design! The first two designs work fine - my main motivation is to better understand computer assisted design (CAD) software and the possibilities of 3D printing. It is much easier to learn if you have the challenge of an actual problem or project to work on. I found the same principles to be true over the years when learning computer programming languages. As I learn more, I try more complex things.

I'm not trying to make you regret your earlier purchases! Besides, your comments in this thread have prompted most of the changes. I appreciate the ideas.

As before, if the design works, I will make it available on Sculpteo and Shapeways with no royalties to me.

Here are the designs, from left to right: original press-on, recent clip-on, and the new clip/bolt-on.

all-three_zps1dfb8c36.jpg

Original press-on. This is a very minimal design that almost disappears when in use - the CPL filter covers the adapter almost completely. It does, however, require custom sanding and fitting to get a secure press-fit, and it may come loose when removing the CPL filter for night-time driving (that happened to me only once).

Recent clip-on. This eliminates the need for custom sanding and fitting and the clip keeps the adapter on at all times (my experience so far). The adapter may move slightly when removing the CPL filter for night-time driving, but the clip snaps the adapter back into place. The clip-on design is more visible than the press-on design and looks a bit funky.

New clip/bolt-on. This clips on just like the clip-on design, and then a second piece bolts on to firmly secure the adapter from any wobble. It looks very utilitarian. The bolts can be either metric M3 x 8 or English 4-40 x 3/8. The interior curve of the adapter matches the BlackVue body, but its circumference is about .2mm less, so the bolts should provide a snug and solid fit. I'll post photos when I get the prototype.

That should be it, unless anyone can suggest additional adapter variations!

Hi,

I'm afraid the bolt-on one doesn't seem very attractive to me from an esthetic point of view.

If I can suggest something: what about cutting the 'clip on' model's legs off, and instead create near the base of the adapter a groove, allowing to use an elastic cord of some sort to 'hook' the adapter onto the BlackVue?

So thinking about for example a small black bead + thin black elastic hairband type of cord + at the other end also a small black bead. Easy to make to size (just cut the band/cord, put the beads on, knot, and you'd be done), and the mount would only need a groove and small extruding bit to put the band through and allow the bead to keep stuff in place.

Several other options exist, it's just to give the general idea on an alternative approach.

I received my adapter from Shapeways arrived a few days ago it did not need any post work at all, it has a nice textured finished. I did a test to see how the polariser filter improved the view, it has not totally eliminated the reflections however its much better. :)
Without
11706934103_3ae22c593a_b.jpg

With
11707061244_217fd8c410_b.jpg

I used the wireless featuer via the iPhone to see the results when rotating the filter to get the best result.

To add to my earlier post: below an example which sort of illustrates what I meant.

What I was thinking is that if the adapter would have a small kind of hook protruding at it's base on both sides (like shown in the drawing below, except in the drawing the adapter would be on top and the hook would be on its side), then an elastic cord could be used to attach the adapter to te BlackVue by simply hooking the cord on both adapter hooks like shown below.

Another variation could be to not have a hook at the base of the adapter, but instead a bit more stirdy kind of block with a small groove in the middle, allowing to place the elastic cord through the groove, and it could be kept in place with a small bead or such preventing it from snapping off. Am I making sense?

Untitled-2.jpg

I received my "clip-on" adapter today from Shapeways (who apparently also have a Dutch site), and am happy to report it fits perfectly on the DR550GW-2CH. Snug fit, and looks very nice! Very happy with it. As with the DR500, the ventilation holes are kept free too.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EREWHON !!

(nevermind the dust in the photos below :) )

IMG_0370s.jpg
IMG_0371s.jpg
IMG_0372s.jpg
IMG_0373s.jpg

I received my adapter from Shapeways arrived a few days ago it did not need any post work at all, it has a nice textured finished. I did a test to see how the polariser filter improved the view, it has not totally eliminated the reflections however its much better. :)
Without
11706934103_3ae22c593a_b.jpg

With
11707061244_217fd8c410_b.jpg

I used the wireless featuer via the iPhone to see the results when rotating the filter to get the best result.

Thanks for the photos!

Yes, the reflections are still there, but greatly reduced, resulting in better video. Another advantage of the polarizing filter is that dark areas get a bit brighter and show more detail. Compare your "without" and "with" pictures, upper left quadrant. Not as dramatic an improvement as the reflection reduction, but nice nevertheless.

Although the sun is quite low this time of year, and the effects of the filter are therefore not maximum, you can still see the advantage:

WITHOUT the filter:

BlackVue zonders.jpg

And WITH the filter:

BlackVue mets.jpg

To add to my earlier post: below an example which sort of illustrates what I meant.

What I was thinking is that if the adapter would have a small kind of hook protruding at it's base on both sides (like shown in the drawing below, except in the drawing the adapter would be on top and the hook would be on its side), then an elastic cord could be used to attach the adapter to te BlackVue by simply hooking the cord on both adapter hooks like shown below.

Another variation could be to not have a hook at the base of the adapter, but instead a bit more stirdy kind of block with a small groove in the middle, allowing to place the elastic cord through the groove, and it could be kept in place with a small bead or such preventing it from snapping off. Am I making sense?

View attachment 3118

Hi Tweaker,

Thanks for your comment, and the design drawing! I do indeed value forum comments. Your design was very clear.

I thought about your design but could not figure out a way to easily do it. I have tried to avoid making small parts by hand, and instead do everything as a 3D print job with possibly standard commercial parts (nuts and bolts), where no custom work is needed.

(I agree that my completely rigid bolt-on design, with the nuts and bolts, is ugly.)

Making a small elastic loop that consistently gives the correct tension for all of you, regardless of the source and properties of the elastic material, seemed too big a problem.

The existing clip-on design is already very similar to your elastic cord. When the adapter is moved, the clip bends and forces the adapter back into place. The elastic cord stretches and also moves the adapter back into place.

So, with both the clip-on and the elastic cord, the adapter can be forced out of place by hand, but the adapter will quickly move back into place when the force is removed.

Some comments expressed concern about the clip-on adapter moving or coming loose when driving over rough roads. I have not seen that happen. I have removed the BlackVue from my car, held it in my hand, and given it a really sharp shake. The worst that happened was that the filter came off, but the clip-on adapter never came out of place. I suspect that a road rough enough to actually dislodge the clip-on adapter would wreck your car! (The press-on adapter, however, may not be as secure.)

I do not see a real need for the extra security of a bolt-on versus a clip-on. Nevertheless, I’m continuing to look at variations to the bolt-on design – mostly as a very interesting puzzle and design challenge.

I'm afraid the bolt-on one doesn't seem very attractive to me from an esthetic point of view.

Yes, I agree that the bolt-on is ugly. It's worse in person. :eek:

clip-on:
clip-comparison_zps1d070fbc.jpg

bolt-on:
bolt-comparison_zpsc18c06c3.jpg

(It is really solid, however.)

I'm working with a design that uses much smaller bolts (right-most design below):
big-and-small-bolt-washer_zpsa450257c.jpg

...and a design (no images yet) where the bolts are in an entirely different location and are almost invisible. Yes, I have too much time on my hands. :)

What you could do with a 3D printer (but likely very complex), is to let one of the arms become a tie-wrap and the other the locking part of a tie-wrap.

How's that for a challenge;-).

Could even be one of those tie-wraps that you can open afterwards and re-use.

But to be honest, I'm using the clip-on one now and I really don't see a need for any other model - it's perfect!

What you could do with a 3D printer (but likely very complex), is to let one of the arms become a tie-wrap and the other the locking part of a tie-wrap.

How's that for a challenge;-).

Could even be one of those tie-wraps that you can open afterwards and re-use.

But to be honest, I'm using the clip-on one now and I really don't see a need for any other model - it's perfect!
OK, I'm you've got me thinking about a reusable locking tie-wrap. I'm also trying to get it out of my head!

My latest scheme is almost as crazy. It has been a wonderful design challenge, however.

Here is a press-in threaded insert (greatly enlarged).
insert_zps411c5e5b.jpg

Here is a cross-section of the new adapter, showing two places where the press-in inserts (flange side down) are installed. Bolts screw in through the two holes in the top part. The grid spacing is 1mm.
cross-section-web_zpse4be21f7.jpg

Here is a 3D rendering of the adapter.
insert-web_zps1ab3d5d6.jpg

Unfortunately, the only press-in insert I could locate that is small enough uses #2-56 threads (Unified Thread Standard, or UTS), which is common in the US and Canada, but maybe not elsewhere. See E-Z Lok part 260-002-BR. The smallest metric insert I could find uses 3mm threads, but the insert was just too big. Well, I did find a 2mm thread insert, but I have to place a $125/1000 part minimum order. See Tri-Star part HM20 x 157E.

I'll be ordering a 3D printed part soon. My concern is that the insert might not stay fixed, or that it might fracture the plastic. More later.

I like that design! - even more so because the press-in insert could fall behind the carryspeed by the looks of it. But I agree that this could be difficult to find around the world.

Looking at how flexible (but strong) the plastic is of the clip-on one, I suppose other mechanisms not requiring an additional part could also work to keep it in place with rather nice fit.
BlackVue1.jpg BlackVue2.jpg
First example: one could pull and slightly bend the hook backwards to release the adapter.
Second example: release would be by sliding sideways the arm if you know what I mean.

Actually, looking again at your design, this second example could be a good alternative for the press-in inserts. If you take your design and replace the press-in inserts by a type of sideways sliding locking mechanism like I've attempted to draw, you might be able to do without additional parts.

Note: MS Paint is not the best tool :). And of course it looks a bit rough or course in my drawing, but it's just to be clear about the type of lock so it's a bit exaggerated.

Anyway, like I said, I am pretty happy with the clip-on one, so for me it wouldn't really need more development :). Nevertheless I'm happy to think of other possible solutions simply because it's interesting stuff :)

OK, working on a design with no bolts or other hardware, and that is two piece and extends completely around the dashcam body. o_O

Edit - here's a preliminary design. Some details are to be worked out. When assembled, the adapter squeezes the dashcam body. The two curved pieces are in tension, pressing the small lower piece against the dashcam, provided I get the dimensions right.

cc-complete-web_zps6e8d2338.jpg

Last edited:
@q_hung: Try to imagine what you see yourself if you put on snorkeling goggles. Your peripheral vision would be gone.

It's kind of the same for the BlackVue if you add a lens hood. I'm pretty sure that you would completely ruin your wide angle recording with such a hood. Keep in mind that the BlackVue 500 has an horizontal opening angle of 123 degrees, vertical 90 degrees, and diagonal 156 degrees. Adding a hood would result in black bars on all sides of the picture and you would only see the middle, perhaps have an horizontal opening of 60 degrees.

erewhon: your design is greate. I will buy one.

Can you design the clip with the hood like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/220864805634. I think it will reduce the glare from the sunlight in some circumstances.
Hello q_hung,

Tweaker is right - the BlackVue 500 has very wide field of view. The lens hood would have to be almost flat like a dinner plate, or else the edges of the hood would appear in the outer edges of the video.

With the current clip-on adapter design, the lens of the BlackVue actually extends inside the filter metal housing, so that the lens is about 1 or 2 mm from the inside surface of the filter glass. This was needed or else the edges of the filter appeared in the outer edges of the video.

Also, I looked at the BlackVue mounted in my car, and the top of the filter was very close to the windshield. I did not measure the distance, but it looked like only about 5mm between the filter and the windshield, vertically and horizontally. There would not be any room for a lens hood like the one on your eBay link.

It would be possible to design a hood shaped like a baseball cap visor to fit just above the filter (and attached to the clip-on adapter), but the hood would have to be so small to avoid shadows in the video and to fit into the small space that it would not block much sunlight. I actually have an idea for a fixed hood that is part of the adapter that will still allow the filter to be rotated and removed but, like I said, it would probably not block much sunlight.

Even without a hood, the current adapter design greatly reduces reflections from the windshield and significantly improves the video.

I do appreciate your suggestion! Forum member suggestions have given me good ideas. The ideas have resulted in three more designs that will appear in the next few days - one has already arrived from the 3D printer company, and two more will arrive shortly. I do not think that the new designs are better than the current clip-on design, but I did them mostly to learn more about the 3D design software and the capabilities and limits of 3D printing.

I have put more adapter designs on the Shapeways and Scuplteo websites. As before, all the adapters are royalty free – I get no profit on any sales.

Here are the designs. The leftmost one (clip-on #1) is the design that has been available for a while. All the others are new. The new designs were prompted by concerns that the original clip-on might come loose in rough driving. That has not actually been a problem in my experience. The original clip-on is easy to install and stays in place during all kinds of driving. Therefore, I do not actually recommend any of the new designs, but they work well and are available if you want to try them. They just do not solve any actual problem!
5-adaptersA_zps2e88d220.jpg

Bolt-on #1 uses two metric M3 by 8mm bolts, with nuts and washers, to fasten the two pieces tightly to the BlackVue. Slightly smaller UTS #4-40 by 3/8 inch bolts will also work. At least one forum contributor found the design aesthetically offensive (as did I), so I created bolt-on #2.

Note: UTS stands for Unified Thread Standard, which is a common standard in Canada and the US. Sometimes you will see instead UNC or UNF, which in addition specify that the threads are coarse (UNC) or fine (UNF).

Bolt-on #2 uses much smaller UTS #1-72 by 1/4 inch bolts, with nuts, and washers. Slightly smaller metric M1.6 by 6mm bolts will also work. The smaller bolts and adapter flanges, compared to bolt-on #1, are more pleasing to the eye. However, the smaller bolts/nuts/washers may be more difficult to find.

Comparison of bolt-on #1 and bolt-on #2
two-bolt-on_zpsb8268722.jpg

Bolt-on #3 consists of a large U-shape that fits almost entirely around the BlackVue body. The second adapter piece that fits around the lens barrel then bolts onto the U-shape. The U-shape has embedded into it brass threaded inserts for the bolts to bolt into. The hardware may be difficult to find. I could not find suitable small metric threaded inserts, and instead used E-Z Lok part 260-002-BR, which has UNC #2-56 threads. The two bolts are UNC #2-56 by 1/4 inch. The threaded insert fits tightly into the U-shape. Long-term, I do not know if the threaded inserts might cause cracks in the U-shape. The plastic of the U-shape, however, seems tough, flexible, and not-at-all brittle. If you really want to use this design, send me a private message and we’ll see what we can do about the hardware. Assembly needs some care and patience.

Direct front view. Bolt heads almost hidden.
bolt-flange-front_zps8620d3a8.jpg

Close-up showing flange of brass threaded insert
bolt-flange-side_zpsa156a479.jpg

Adapter parts before attaching to BlackVue.
bolt-flange-adapter-only_zps087deb8b.jpg

Clip-on #2 keeps the bolt-on idea of having a plastic ring going entirely around and tightly gripping the BlackVue body. However, I was able to eliminate the need for any nuts or bolts or threaded inserts! The big adapter piece slips around the lens barrel and BlackVue body in the usual way. The small adapter piece then snaps into place between the BlackVue body and the big piece, and it closes the gap in the big piece, completing the ring. Ridges in the big piece fit into grooves in the small piece to further secure the fit. The fully assembled structure is surprisingly rigid. Long-term, I do not know if the two spring-like parts of the big piece, reaching from the front of the BlackVue around to the back, might relax their tension a bit. This tension is what keeps the adapter tightly in place. Fitting the pieces in place is a puzzle or a test of intelligence! :p (not really...)

Side view.
new-clip-side_zps2f31eec1.jpg

Back view.
new-clip-back_zps49d78309.jpg

Shapeways page: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ErewhonGadgets

The Shapeways page has a “Download Model” button so you can download the adapter STL design file and print it yourself.

Sculpteo page: http://www.sculpteo.com/en/s/markfisher58958/

Last edited:
I received my "clip-on" adapter today from Shapeways (who apparently also have a Dutch site), and am happy to report it fits perfectly on the DR550GW-2CH. Snug fit, and looks very nice! Very happy with it. As with the DR500, the ventilation holes are kept free too.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EREWHON !!

(nevermind the dust in the photos below :) )

View attachment 3119
View attachment 3120
View attachment 3121
View attachment 3122
where is the direct link to purchase this one ? is it extra for it to be black ?

Hello ucsmfu,

where is the direct link to purchase this one ? is it extra for it to be black ?

I see you are in Canada, so I think the Shapeways source (in New York) would probably be the best place for you to order.

Go to:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/154...d-magfilter.html?li=user-profile&materialId=6

625x465_1544589_1764916_1391028309.jpg

The price there is $6.19 (US) for the white strong flexible plastic. You can order it dyed black, and the price jumps to $7.61. Shipping is not included.

The finish is a bit rough, and the item dyed black has the texture of a coarse velvet and it attracts lint, but it works fine. For the best appearance, I've found that ordering the adapter in white and then carefully sanding the outer surfaces and painting it with a suitable plastic compatible black spray paint works nicely.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E DR500GW-HD 18
J DR500GW-HD 1052
Back