Parking Mode

Yes, can drive around and use 24 / 7 motion det on. It stops recording after last motion detected in 30 or 60 sec, dont remember exactly but it very rare when on daily bases driving it stops because there is always motion around, even on traffic lights and sensitivity is very high.
I had many battery cut off devices. From 45usd to 15usd. They all work same way. Dont see difference of overpaying for branded ( maybe in the long run ? ).

Is the Constant Power Cable (sold by shpkorea) any good if I am using 24/7 with motion detect on?

Gabolinche, this review was great. I sincerely appreciate it as I have the GT550W but am thinking of ditching it purely due to its poor motion detection. It's so bad that while I'm at a stop sign and cars are passing through the intersection, it will stop recording. Additionally, when it detects motion, it only continues recording for 5 seconds. That's horrible. I have been searching through the forums for a much more stable parking mode and motion sensor. I'm impressed with your results. It really detects human movement at that distance? That's a dream compared to the GT550W.

Have you read of any other cameras with good parking mode? Without a good parking mode, the camera is pretty handicapped IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there... I'm glad you found the review useful.

It's so bad that while I'm at a stop sign and cars are passing through the intersection, it will stop recording. Additionally, when it detects motion, it only continues recording for 5 seconds.
After more heavy usage, I've found that sometimes my Panorama II will stop recording at a red light or intersection if I'm too far away from it (maybe 5 or 6 cars behind the first one). It seems the movement is so steady and far away that it doesn't trigger it's motion detection. Still, the 40 seconds it records after motion stops gives it enough buffer time for this to happen rarely.

It really detects human movement at that distance?
Yes it does, I've verified it in other parking lots like Walmart and stuff and it still works great...

Have you read of any other cameras with good parking mode?
I have no idea about parking modes in other cameras since most people just focus on the other characteristics of dash cams when they review them. What I've read is that the one-second activation time to start recording after motion is detected is one of the fastest out there. Probably @niko can chime in with that since he has tried hands-on a lot of dash cams.

This might be the camera I need! I appreciate the response, Gab. Another quick question for you (on my mobile), how good is the G-Sensor? I've found that on my GT550W, I can't get any setting of the G-Sensor to trigger if i slam my car door. If it won't trigger based on me slamming my car door, then I fear for when the car is actually hit that it won't start recording.

it is very sensitive even on the lowest setting slightest jolt triggers it

Panorama II motion detection sensitivity is INSANE :), - for some buyers it's even to much, but thats the point of motion detection, - to capture movements.
I tested some other dash cams from mid-pricerange ( NT96650 + AR0330 ) and few high-end ones as well and the distance of motion detection triggering at day time is about 2 car length and reaction on trigger till recording is about 2-3 sec. On Panorama II rec start is about 1 sec, sensitivity distance is about 5-6 car length as @Gabolinche mentioned, so it is very good result compare to others, but I want to remind, that at day time distance reaction on motion detection is further than at dusk or night, - this applies to all dashcams.
Similar distance and same quick reaction on motion detection recording has 2ch Albatross II from Urive, but price is 2.5 x times higher due to be 2ch and with some more extra options.
Of course there might be other dashcams out there from high-end class that also have good motion detection sensitivity and fast recording reaction, but they are all more expencive.
Within Panorama II price-range I don't see any other competitors even close to it if we take it as a whole package with specs and functionality.

Strong points:

- lightning fast rec-start + rec ( 4-5 sec )
- instant GPS lock, - same time it starts recording its already locked to gps satellites ( hot-starts, where car was last used 1-2h ago ), if cold start ( car overnight parked ), then about 10-15 sec gps lock.
- very sensitive motion detection triggering on long distance
- almost instant ( 1 sec ) motion detection recording reaction
- fairly good video recording at day and night
- LCD touch-screen for instant files view and settings
- 12v and 5v power input
- capacitor ( not battery )
- AV out for those who want to connect it with in-car multimedia or watch playback at home.
- can use 64Gb SD cards ( Fat32 )
- fairly cheap price compare to others if take its specs / options / functionality as a whole package.

Drawbacks:

- fish-eye lens, - can be scratched if you put on the table wrong side ( in some stage in january 2014 lens cap will be available )
- stops recording isntantly after power cut-off ( proposal to developer has been made on extending recording about 5 sec after power cut-off )

GPS time zone issue resolved, - need few small adjustments on particular regions like part of Australia +1h ( as per earlier feedback ).
FOlders added.

Ongoing beta-tests FW tune-up to get latest v1.11.13 FW as good at night on v1.08.05,

Last edited:
I just got my Panorama II, updated it with the latest firmware and installed it with constant power supplied. It measured about 0.2A on the 12V power source with use of the included lighter plug, which means about 2,4W when recording.

A feature I think would solve many issues with motion detection is implementing a schedule for when motion detection could ONLY trigger when the G-sensor is (sufficiently) measuring movement. For instance if you set at which time on which days of the week it should or should not trigger when parked. It would allow for a random stray cat running across the street for not triggering at 2 a.m. but when you would start to drive, it would immediately detect movement and engage recording as normal. But it should also be sensitive enough to detect someone crashing into your parked car, if that would be possible.

This might be the camera I need! I appreciate the response, Gab. Another quick question for you (on my mobile), how good is the G-Sensor? I've found that on my GT550W, I can't get any setting of the G-Sensor to trigger if i slam my car door. If it won't trigger based on me slamming my car door, then I fear for when the car is actually hit that it won't start recording.

You touch a good point. To the best of my knowledge, the Panorama II currently does not use the g-sensor to trigger a recording start. Recording starts only when motion is detected in the video field of view. The camera only uses the g-sensor to sense when a file should be write-protected. But even this it does it wrong since its lowest sensitivity is too sensitive and is triggered by potholes or railroad crossings.

It would be awesome if we would get some sort of g-sensor-activated-recording mode in future firmware updates.

The problem with the G-sensor triggering is that it shouldn't record when you are driving (with the current sensitivity) or the tolerances should be large enough so it only triggers when the shock is comparable to a light fender-bender.

Gabolinche, this review was great. I sincerely appreciate it as I have the GT550W but am thinking of ditching it purely due to its poor motion detection. It's so bad that while I'm at a stop sign and cars are passing through the intersection, it will stop recording. Additionally, when it detects motion, it only continues recording for 5 seconds. That's horrible. I have been searching through the forums for a much more stable parking mode and motion sensor. I'm impressed with your results. It really detects human movement at that distance? That's a dream compared to the GT550W.

Have you read of any other cameras with good parking mode? Without a good parking mode, the camera is pretty handicapped IMO.

Just reading about the Panorma II with interest :) Looking for a possible rear camera to complement my Lukas up front (might end up being another Lukas..the grass is always greener makes you look elsewhere :)).

FYI The Lukas LK7900 has a fantastic Parking Mode.

When the camera detects you have stopped driving (presumably from G sensor readings near nil) it enters parking mode after a time period you set in the viewer (so you can say enter parking mode after 5 minutes idle). Parking Mode stops the Always recording mode of Driving Mode Recording (standard loop recording of user settable segment length). In Parking it will record events triggered by motion or g-sensor with user set sensitivity. Presumably it's always recording a segment when parked, buffering on the SD card, and just keeps a segment when some motion or G is detected. The motion is like the Panorama, VERY sensitive. Motion tagged segments are only ever recorded in Parking mode (driving mode just Always + Event or Event only (event = G)). Parking mode also turns off the GPS to save power (you can override this default). You can set the % of SD card capacity reserved for Always, Motion and Event (ie G) default is 70%, 20%, 10%, this for example helps stop your SD card being filled up solely by branches swaying in the wind whilst you're parked and Motion events being triggered. The camera automatically re-enters Driving mode, presumably triggered by a constant rumble of low G activity (it takes a few seconds so isn't triggered by a power change - I use an LK530 so YMMV) and the Always recording starts again (unless you turned off Always and are just using Event segments for Driving Mode). You set separate Event trigger sensitivities for Driving and Parking mode (e.g. Insensitive for when driving, Sensitive for Parking Mode to capture the slightest bump). You don't miss anything in the switch back to Driving Mode from Parking Mode as you opening the doors etc. will be recorded as Events in Parking Mode and then you have the Always segments carrying on from that in Driving.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed that the Panorama has 12V input too (most cameras are 5V / USB) so you could use a LK530 or similar with it and get maybe a dozen hours parking mode without "permanently" wiring the camera.

Yes, can drive around and use 24 / 7 motion det on. It stops recording after last motion detected in 30 or 60 sec, dont remember exactly but it very rare when on daily bases driving it stops because there is always motion around, even on traffic lights and sensitivity is very high.
I had many battery cut off devices. From 45usd to 15usd. They all work same way. Dont see difference of overpaying for branded ( maybe in the long run ? ).

What device do you recommend in that case?

Lukas LK-290:
http://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/
Has the highest battery cutoff voltage for peace of mind.

When you set the camera to turn off the screen off automatically, it also stays off when parked. The only time the screen comes on is during the start up and shut down screens. So when I'm driving it'll be black, I stop the car; still black. Park the car and later on it detects movement; BLACK.
Nice and stealthy. The only light visible I have from the front of the car is the GPS dongle but it's very subtle (I have mine stuck under the blue sun strip of the glass).

What device do you recommend in that case?

eBay seller has Battary Discharge Prevention device. Check their listings. You can also use any other similar device available under other names like Power Magic Pro etc.

Curious, while in parking mode, is the screen black?

Yes screen is black as long as you dont have selected LCD OFF option in the menu settings.

man, where can I get one of these shipped out fast to the U.S. or Canada? Seems like all international buyers and need 2+ weeks to arrive!

Where is a recommended vendor?

man, where can I get one of these shipped out fast to the U.S. or Canada? Seems like all international buyers and need 2+ weeks to arrive!

Ask Roadcam @JazJon, they are in SF CA. Maybe they have it in stock.

ebat, shpkorea, delivered < 1 week

There are few other premium class dash cams which has good night vision recording as Pano2 but non ot them I tested has as sensitive motion detection as Pano2. Some buyers "complained" it maybe too sensitive ? :)
Unfort it does not have auto-parking / motion det mode as Albatross2, but I tested drivinf with motion detection ON and it does as good job as with normal driving mod. There are only few dash cams with auto-parking / motion det mode that has good night recording.

Blackvue DR500-GW has too sensitive motion detection. It is annoying, because every tiny movement like tree leafs on the wind far from the camera triggers clip saving. So, I glad that Panorama S has a better/smart/less sensitive motion detection.

All in all, Parking mode is great, but I would like to see less sensitive G-sensor in driving mode, but very sensitive in parking mode like BlackVue has. This means G-sensor settings for driving mode and for parking mode should be set separately. As for me, it is "must have" functionality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C II / S 1
D II / S 3
D II / S 1
Back