Power Requirements - Mini 0801 Ambarella

Pavlov

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello

I have ordered a Mini 0801 Ambarella dash camera and am planning to hard wire it to my car's electrical system. Is anyone able to tell me what the power requirements of the camera are? i.e. wattage, voltage, amperage.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello

I have ordered a Mini 0801 Ambarella dash camera and am planning to hard wire it to my car's electrical system. Is anyone able to tell me what the power requirements of the camera are? i.e. wattage, voltage, amperage.

Thank you for your assistance.
Not being judge mental but did you not read the specs of the camera before you ordered it.
They are nearly all the same 5volt 1amp

I couldn't see any specs related to power. Sorry.

Does anyone have the current draw info when in motion detection/parking mode? I'm presuming that's a lower power state with the screen off, minimal processing?

Does anyone have the current draw info when in motion detection/parking mode? I'm presuming that's a lower power state with the screen off, minimal processing?

The 0801 doesn't support have any automatic "parking mode" per: http://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/
But it does have regular motion detection option. I've yet to hear anyone using it at all, so not much is known.

I wish I didn't lose my good multi-meter when I moved. (it measured amperage, I could have tested it) Maybe someone else can.

I just measured the current draw of the 0801 from the usb port on the device using the "portapow" USB power monitor showing the following results:
  • motion detect on, screen off, led solid blue (in standby) = .22 amps
  • motion detect on, screen off, led flashing blue (recording) = .31 amps

Last edited:
I just measured the current draw of the 0801 from the usb port on the device using the "portapow" USB power monitor showing the following results:
  • motion detect on, screen off, led solid blue (in standby) = .22 amps
  • motion detect on, screen off, led flashing blue (recording) = .31 amps

Nice! While you're at it do it while the screen is on & recording, and screen is on not recording. We'll add all the details to the FAQ page

Nice! While you're at it do it while the screen is on & recording, and screen is on not recording. We'll add all the details to the FAQ page
And also maybe while recording with screen on, GPS locked on, and battery depleted so it's charging. This should give us a "max" power usage number.

Great, thanks Old Goat, I'm looking at one of these battery packs and not draw on the car's battery even with a discharge limiter. Based on 0.22 amps or 220 mA, a 20,000 mAh pack should last around 3 to 4 days parked say at the airport.

JazJon, Here is what I found for the Amp draw:
seq -- function/status -- current drawn in amps
1 gps locked, recording, screen on, led blue flashing, 0.50
2 gps locked, recording, screen off, led blue flashing, 0.38
3 no gps, recording, screen on, led blue/red flashing, 0.40
4 no gps, standby, screen on, led blue, 0.32
5 no gps, standby, screen off, led blue, 0.26
6 no gps, motion detection on, screen on, led blue flashing, 0.39
7 no gps, motion detection on, screen off, led blue flashing, 0.31
8 no gps, motion detection on, screen off, led solid blue, 0.22

Last edited:
And also maybe while recording with screen on, GPS locked on, and battery depleted so it's charging. This should give us a "max" power usage number.
Ok, I just tried that scenario:
GPS locked, device recording, screen on, led blue/red flashing (recording and charging), amps drawn is .083

Complete tests are below:
upload_2013-10-24_16-28-59.png

Hi OldGoat
Thanks for testing. I'm anxiously waiting fro my 0801 to arrive. Day 11 now since ordering.

Hi OldGoat
Thanks for testing. I'm anxiously waiting fro my 0801 to arrive. Day 11 now since ordering.
I think you will enjoy it. The size is really convenient to just stick in your shirt pocket when you leave your car.

Back