Recommended CAMERA only?

Riker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!
I have a 4 channel DVR system in my car which I like, however the cameras SUCK! Does anyone know or can recommend a good camera to use? I am not interested in a black box which records onto itself, I want a 12 VDC camera which can transmit it's video "live" so it can be recorded by my existing DVR. I've even considered a regular old camcorder, but I am not aware of any that transmit "live" video to another unit.

Pretty much the only thing I have been able to find are regular dome surveillance cams which use IR for night vision (and, thus, black and white) and have very limited distance. Even during the daylight I can't read a license plate on the car stopped in front of me with this thing.

Any recommendations anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

need details on what DVR you have
No idea who made it. I bought it online from China (DHGate). Don't see why that is important, though. The DVR works fine and I like it's features. I just need a camera that will send it a decent picture. The DVR takes video inputs via regular BNC connectors (although changing these is no problem) and sends 12VDC out to the cameras when the unit is turned on. Please note I've also considered modifying a regular old camcorder, if someone could give me instructions on where to tie in.

If you really need info on the DVR, I could upload the instruction manual. I have it saved as a PDF.

I don't think you'll find much advice on your particular setup, but Jokiin will probably know how to make the most of what you have.

You will never achieve great performance from low resolution analog cameras. You can only do so much with old school "VHS" level of resolution. Analog signals are also susceptible to interference/noise.

sounds like its time for an upgrade.
If your recorder is capable of it, 720 x 480, some old ones only record less than this, to a HD recorder of 1920 x 1080. especially if you want to read number plates more than 5 metres away

sounds like its time for an upgrade.
If your recorder is capable of it, 720 x 480, some old ones only record less than this, to a HD recorder of 1920 x 1080. especially if you want to read number plates more than 5 metres away
Can you recommend a system that:

A) Can record to an external device? I currently record to an external 500GB hard drive. Do NOT want to record to SD.
B) Can record continuously for up to an hour? Not interested in a half hour trip consisting of six 5-minute videos (with gaps in between - been there, done that).
C) Has multiple external inputs? My current system is 4 channel and I have forward and aft (aft of the car, not internally of the cabin) facing cams.
D) Can be turned on automatically? Current system is "passive", it turns on and off when the key is turned on or off.
E) Has GPS embedded information on the recording, including vehicle speed and location as well as time/date?
F) Has selectable "alarm" inputs? Currently I get a message showing when my brakes and turn signals are active.

to get all of that the technology basically hasn't progressed any further than what you have now, it's all still low res stuff at this stage

to get all of that the technology basically hasn't progressed any further than what you have now, it's all still low res stuff at this stage
yep, sounds like something I priced up a few years ago at around $10k

Story of my life. I'm constantly having to MacGyver something because the technology exists but the industry doesn't.

Story of my life. I'm constantly having to MacGyver something because the technology exists but the industry doesn't.

let me rephrase that, what you want exists for the law enforcement industry, but currently around 8k starting price

there are a bunch of recorders out there that will record to a hard disk by recording via a HDMI signal which many cameras can output to. but that's neither affordable nor is it automated.

if I may ask, what's your aversion to recording to a SD card?

there are a bunch of recorders out there that will record to a hard disk by recording via a HDMI signal which many cameras can output to. but that's neither affordable nor is it automated.

if I may ask, what's your aversion to recording to a SD card?
Capacity (or lack thereof) and slow transfer rate, primarily.

Quite a few dashcams will function with a 128GB card; many will do well with a 64GB card. That's roughly 20 and 10 hours respectively @1080P and a 14Mb 'write' speed (upper end of average @ 30FPS). You get more time at lower resolution or slower FPS rates. DL speeds are primarily restricted by your computer and it's interface hardware, card "read" speeds are pretty fast these days.

For their size and cost, dashcams and action cams today are pretty hot in performance and getting better quickly in comparison to general-use security type cams. They won't compare to top-end cams but there's a lot of money and size between these two points!

Phil

Back