Separate Front and Rear dash cams

Reg dashcam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0801/JADO D169 (Front), K2000 Car Cam (rear)
So I've heard of many users who use two separate dash cams, one for the front and another for the rear. How is this done? My car, as most, only have one 12-volt charger. I'd like to know how you hook up two dash cams into one of these. Is there some kind of dual usb charger that plugs into the 12-volt? Please let me know!

I have one Mobius in front and one Mobius in the rear. I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B004JPD8ZG
41MltNry4ML.jpg

and this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0031B9ED4
41RmDZRd-7L._AA160_.jpg

Just as a note, the output on your second link in only 700mA. They recommend a 1A output to prolong battery life in the Mobius.

"Only use quality chargers capable of supplying 1000mA (1A) and a stable voltage of at least 5V. Low quality chargers may not be able to supply enough current and can lead to premature battery failure or, in the worst case, even destroy the camera."

From http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559&pp=100#post25170901

So I've heard of many users who use two separate dash cams, one for the front and another for the rear. How is this done? My car, as most, only have one 12-volt charger. I'd like to know how you hook up two dash cams into one of these. Is there some kind of dual usb charger that plugs into the 12-volt? Please let me know!

All three of our cars have two powerpoints -- one in the traditional ashtray position; one in the rear right (could be trunk). One of these cars has an additional point in the center console. This is more common on recent models, since adding USB power (or to keep an iPhone, etc. charged) is cheap and easy.

Since your car doesn't have this, you can find instructions on how to install additional powerpoints from the user forums for your car. If not there, look for a close model. Your own car is best because they may tell you where to access in your fusebox; a similar model of car would provide more generic info, including direct lines to the car battery.

Once you have a sufficient number of powerpoints you can multiply the advantage by using an adapter like what's pictured above. Pep Boys, etc will always have these. That way you can power your dashcam, external GPS, radar detector, and charge your phone/tablet/laptop.

About separate dashcams, one front and one back -- I'm lucky in that one rear powerpoint on one of our cars stays live when the ignition is off. So I run the wires from both the front and rear to this one (using a multi-socket adapter).

I had been using both cams centered in the car, but am planning to move them both to the LEFT (left-hand drive in US). The front camera will be in the top left corner of the front windshield. The rear one will be attached to the head restraint cushion on the left seat. This way they (a) don't block the driver's vision in any direction, and (b) in the case of the front one, it's easy to reach and manipulate, access menus, etc.

Also see -- > http://oreilly.com/pub/h/3611

As MozartMan has mentioned users with one 12-volt charger will need a splitter and need to make sure that the set up they use provides enough power to keep their Camera from draining even when plugged in.

Just curious what make and model you have? My two cars as well of most of the familys cars are 2000+ GM models and all have two stock 12-volt charger sockets (Two Chevys and three Pontiacs across family) The only two that only have one is my brothers older Mopar and 80s Chevy.

Also meant to mention at least for myself when I got into Dash Cams around Nov/Dec last year most of the dual camera set ups at the time were ether way to expensive or of very poor video quality, and the only way to get a decent quality fairly priced set up was to just run two independent cameras.
While this is starting to change with the Garmin GDR 35D, BlackVue DR550GW-2CH, and Vico XF2 Dual prices are still a little high. For instance it costs $370 for the BlackVue with 1080P/720P where as I could run a Vico TF2 up front and G1W in the back for $280 and have both videos in 1080P.

Last edited by a moderator:
As MozartMan has mentioned users with one 12-volt charger will need a splitter and need to make sure that the set up they use provides enough power to keep their Camera from draining even when plugged in.

Just curious what make and model you have? My two cars as well of most of the familys cars are 2000+ GM models and all have two stock 12-volt charger sockets (Two Chevys and three Pontiacs across family) The only two that only have one is my brothers older Mopar and 80s Chevy.

Also meant to mention at least for myself when I got into Dash Cams around Nov/Dec last year most of the dual camera set ups at the time were ether way to expensive or of very poor video quality, and the only way to get a decent quality fairly priced set up was to just run two independent cameras.
While this is starting to change with the Garmin GDR 35D, BlackVue DR550GW-2CH, and Vico XF2 Dual prices are still a little high. For instance it costs $370 for the BlackVue with 1080P/720P where as I could run a Vico TF2 up front and G1W in the back for $280 and have both videos in 1080P.
I own a 2011 Mazda2. I previously owned a used 2008 Toyota Yaris (coupe), which also only had one 12-volt charger socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smaller cars like my honda civic and ford festiva only have one outlet, so i usea splitterlike the first one shown.
Whats interesting is that my one camera (aiptek x2) will only run off its own car charger. Its 5v 1amp as is my ls300w and my iphone plugs, but the iphone plugs and ls300w cord wont power it. It will turn on, then turn back off. So be careful with how you wire things because even if the camera will run different voltages can harm them. Specially that 2.1 amp supply mozartman shared, dunno if i would use that outlet. Electronics can be pretty sensitive already just to your car putting out 11-14volts.

Judging by the posts here, there is no safe splitter I can buy. All of the splitters I've looked at have an output of 500mA, not 1000mA. They also have amps of 2.1 and higher.

Any recommendations?

Judging by the posts here, there is no safe splitter I can buy. All of the splitters I've looked at have an output of 500mA, not 1000mA. They also have amps of 2.1 and higher.

Any recommendations?

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. You want the voltage to match and then be able to supply enough amps at that voltage. Your device will draw some number of amps at a specified voltage. The power supply should be able to provide that number of amps or more at the specified voltage. If you have a 5 volt power supply capable of 1000 amps your 5v 100 milli-amp device will work just fine.

Typical usb port on a computer will provide a max of 500mA at 5v. A few will provide 1000mA at 5v.

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. You want the voltage to match and then be able to supply enough amps at that voltage. Your device will draw some number of amps at a specified voltage. The power supply should be able to provide that number of amps or more at the specified voltage. If you have a 5 volt power supply capable of 1000 amps your 5v 100 milli-amp device will work just fine.

Typical usb port on a computer will provide a max of 500mA at 5v. A few will provide 1000mA at 5v.
Well my car has one 12-volt charger, so what should I get? Sorry, this is very confusing to me.

Lol, makes sense. :)
Ok, so why would the same device (like above) have 2 different max outputs?

Lol, makes sense. :)
Ok, so why would the same device (like above) have 2 different max outputs?

What device? can you list the spec showing 2 different max outputs?

Devices like multi-port charger/converters will have one max for a single port but they cannot supply the same current if multiple ports are used concurrently (haha, "current", I made a pun :)). Some of the electronics in the device will be common to all the ports and the capacity at a particular port will be less if other ports are in use at the same time.

I think it can also be the case if a converter is from a range of voltage. Like something that provides a 5v output with a 12v ~ 13.5v input. They might list the current output at 5v for both the low and high end of the input voltage. Something like that?

Last edited:
What device? can you list the spec showing 2 different max outputs?

Devices like multi-port charger/converters will have one max for a single port but they cannot supply the same current if multiple ports are used concurrently (haha, "current", I made a pun :)). Some of the electronics in the device will be common to all the ports and the capacity at a particular port will be less if other ports are in use at the same time.

I think it can also be the case if a converter is from a range of voltage. Like something that provides a 5v output with a 12v ~ 13.5v input. They might list the current output at 5v for both the low and high end of the input voltage. Something like that?

This one:

Or am i wrong?

Back