Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I find it odd that it records all night no problem, it only seems to fall over when it's being started and stopped. I wonder if it's not shutting down correctly?

What brand was your 32GB Class 4 card again? Post the results of your H2testw like I did above so we can compare exact write speeds.

Like jokiin said let's also try different recycle loops sizes. I'm using 1 minute size for my over night tests.

what recycle size are you using?
I was using 1 minute, tried 3 then 5 to see if it would record again but it wouldn't. I pulled the camera out of it's mount, pressed record, left it recording for ten seconds, the wheel would spin then say "storage io error" on all of the loop sizes.

What brand was your 32GB Class 4 card again? Post the results of your H2testw like I did above so we can compare exact write speeds.

Like jokiin said let's also try different recycle loops sizes. I'm using 1 minute size for my over night tests.
I'm using Sandisk, I'm testing it via the camera as my card reader is at home (i'm at work).

Personally I'd suggest a larger recording size, recycling is more difficult when set to smaller intervals, also if you change the setting format the card and power cycle the camera before recording again

I'm using Sandisk, I'm testing it via the camera as my card reader is at home (i'm at work).

Does it look exactly like mine?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B004G7D0EG
I just took a macro photo.
Lk9nauul.jpg

983IBh8l.jpg

Does it look exactly like mine?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B004G7D0EG
I just took a macro photo.
Lk9nauul.jpg

983IBh8l.jpg

Yes but mine has a white sticker on it where as yours is black.

I'm not sure it is a recycling problem as it hasn't got to the point of over writing the oldest file yet, it never gets that far, there was ~15Gb free on the card. The class 10 stopped when there was around 16Gb free.

Looks like i spoke to soon. My gskill class 6 errored yesterday shortly after leaving for home. I noticed the blue light wasn't blinking. After a quick format it's working fine again. Hopefully the newer firmware will fix as I hate to buy yet another card. I'll try testing it when I get home this evening as well.

Looks like i spoke to soon. My gskill class 6 errored yesterday shortly after leaving for home. I noticed the blue light wasn't blinking. After a quick format it's working fine again. Hopefully the newer firmware will fix as I hate to buy yet another card. I'll try testing it when I get home this evening as well.
Grrr, this is annoying, I have cancelled the order for the 16Gb class 4. Think I will just stick to the 4Gb one until / if this issue ever gets resolved. As much as I want to help, I don't want to keep throwing money at the problem hoping it will go away. There is an obvious flaw with the firmware that needs fixing.

So just to recap the problem is non existent when the camera is powered continuously on a desk, only when it's start stopped, to me it happens around the ~15-16Gb remaining mark on a 32 Gb.

It's happening on 32 C10 and C4 Cards and 16Gb C6, but not on 4Gb C4's I wonder if there is some sort of max file limitation it's hitting? But then that wouldn't explain why it works on a desk setup, perhaps it's not shutting down correctly causing some form of corruption when there is X amount of files on the card. Long shot but just trying to think what could be the cause of it based on the data we have gathered so far.

I wonder how an 8Gb would perform, JazJon, did you say it happened to your internal 8Gb card?

Was it like this with the older firmware (.TS)

Last edited:
I agree. I think this is a firmware issue since it seems that all manner of cards are failing. I got through at least one cycle and this would have been the second and it gave the error. I know the cards are cheap but I can't just buy a bunch of them for testing so I appreciate those who are testing with the newer firmwares and cards. Hopefully we can all find a card/firmware that works happily with this unit.

For now I'll just be mindful and format the card every couple days of driving

Grrr, this is annoying, I have cancelled the order for the 16Gb class 4. Think I will just stick to the 4Gb one until / if this issue ever gets resolved. As much as I want to help, I don't want to keep throwing money at the problem hoping it will go away. There is an obvious flaw with the firmware that needs fixing.

So just to recap the problem is non existent when the camera is powered continuously on a desk, only when it's start stopped, to me it happens around the ~15-16Gb remaining mark on a 32 Gb.

It's happening on 32 C10 and C4 Cards and 16Gb C6, but not on 4Gb C4's I wonder if there is some sort of max file limitation it's hitting? But then that wouldn't explain why it works on a desk setup, perhaps it's not shutting down correctly causing some form of corruption when there is X amount of files on the card. Long shot but just trying to think what could be the cause of it based on the data we have gathered so far.

I wonder how an 8Gb would perform, JazJon, did you say it happened to your internal 8Gb card?

Was it like this with the older firmware (.TS)
Do you think it may be related to the GPS function? If so, is it possible to test the unit by by-passing the GPS function in S/W, or by not connecting the GPS receiver?

Do you think it may be related to the GPS function? If so, is it possible to test the unit by by-passing the GPS function in S/W, or by not connecting the GPS receiver?
I was just about to say that, it could be gps as most people when they test on the bench use the usb connection.

I ordered the same Sandisk 32gb Class 4 that JazJon and Cranky are using. I should have it today.

Another thing that seems strange is that we all seem to have slightly different symptoms. Mine will never trip up unless the card is full, yet Cranky's seems to trip up when the card is still fairly empty. Mine has never tripped up when left recording overnight, yet JazJon has had that happen several times. It's also interesting that older 2gb and 4gb cards seem to be working for most of us. It would be nice to get our hands on some of the newer firmwares so we can test them out.

Mine tripped up several times when I was testing it in my house without the GPS mount. So at least for my camera I'm pretty confident that it's not GPS related.

I ordered the same Sandisk 32gb Class 4 that JazJon and Cranky are using. I should have it today.

Another thing that seems strange is that we all seem to have slightly different symptoms. Mine will never trip up unless the card is full, yet Cranky's seems to trip up when the card is still fairly empty. Mine has never tripped up when left recording overnight, yet JazJon has had that happen several times. It's also interesting that older 2gb and 4gb cards seem to be working for most of us. It would be nice to get our hands on some of the newer firmwares so we can test them out.
What version fw are you running?

So this morning, I had my cm start up and about 10-15 seconds in it stopped recording, no errors reported. Hitting the OK button and it started to record again.

The question someone had a few messages back about the lock time on the GPS, mine was less than a minute this morning.

Running 0903 FW

The other question that was asked yesterday about the motion detect. I was playing around with it. I set mine on ON(Motion Detect). I parked the car. Turn off the recording but left the camera on. It would auto record when someone walked by the car and stopped once they were away from the frame.
Taping on the camera(vibration) didn't activate the recording.

So this morning, I had my cm start up and about 10-15 seconds in it stopped recording, no errors reported. Hitting the OK button and it started to record again.

The question someone had a few messages back about the lock time on the GPS, mine was less than a minute this morning.

Running 0903 FW
You will probably find it will be problematic from this point on until you format the card. Watch the screen the Storage IO error flickers on and off quickly.

For the record

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 2.60 MByte/s
Reading speed: 6.49 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Slow RW speeds but was using the USB port on the camera.

Can we compile a list of when the cameras are falling over, i.e. how much space is left on the card, what the card size and type is, how long since it was last formatted?

Last edited:
I was just about to say that, it could be gps as most people when they test on the bench use the usb connection.

are you using two different USB adapter?(one on the desk and one in the car)

I don't have my 0801 yet. I'm now wondering what MicroSD card I should use. The only ones I currently have are 3 spare Sandisk 32GB Ultra Class (6?) cards leftover from when I switched to three 64gb MicroSDXC on all my smartphones. I was planning to purchase a Class 4 card just before my 0801 arrives.

Is this problem occurring on all the 0801 cameras out there?

Right, I have knocked up a quick form that you can fill in with all the info I think may be required to help debug the issue, plus it will save clogging up this thread.

The form will email me the information so that it can be collated and passed on to the manufacturer.

https://secure.jotform.co/form/32754386343863

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back