Some Problems with DR500GW-HD

MyFirstSLK

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

first I beg to excuse my poor english, but I am a German and schooltime is years ago ;-)

May be, my questions are asked (and answered) in other postings - but it is problematical and time-consuming to me, to read english. So would be nice, to get answers here that are already given in other places.

Will be a little much to read, but hoping to get answers anyhow.

After two DOD GS600 (front and rear), I bought a Blackvue DR500GW-HD for using in my car windshield.
This cam arrived last week.
While running the Setup, I found out, the cam has a english language - but fortunately I found on the website of the developer a firmware (1.008) with german language.
So I downloaded this and tried to install it onto my PC and the SD-Card.
After plug in the SD-card into the cam, the update starts, but failed with a endless loop of saying the message "Versionsinformation weicht ab" (what means "version information is different") and the cam seem to be bricked at this point.
So I downloaded the english FW in 1.008 and installed this one onto my PC and the SD-Card.
This update worked finaly on the cam and it was useable again.

Since I am a PC-freak, I installed a freeware Telnet onto my Android-handy, called the IP of the Wifi-Accesspoint of the cam (192.168.8.1) then and deleted the files in "\mnt\nand"
like I found described on a webpage. As logIn for the Cam I used "root" as User and "pt" as password.
The order, I used in telnet was:
"rm -r \mnt\nand" (the folder "nand" wouldn't be deleted cause protected, but it's contents)
Then I installed the german FW 1.008 again into PC and SD-Card.
The setup worked fine and complete.
After the automatical restart of the cam, it welcomes me with the german language.
Then I did reset of the a SD-Card with pressing the round button near the SD-Card-slot for a while until the cam beeped.
Now the cam works well with german language.
So far, so good.

Meanwhile I received the answer of blackview where I asked for my problem to change the language before I found out the solution for myself.
Blackview says, it is impossible to change the language of the firmware ;-)

Now to my problems and questions:

1. The cam-clock has show wrong date/time after upgrade (seems to me, it was date/time from the upgrade-file). The clock corrected itself only after start the upgrade again in the car, where a GPS-signal was availiable.
Is this normal?

2. Since the update, it is impossible to me to change the settings of the FW from cam with the android software.
The android-program says, "Configuration is impossible because data version in Micro SD Card is not compatible. Please upgrade Micro SD Card" and the FW settings can't be changed.
I think, reason for is, I use a english android program (V: 1.43 2013/8/7 9:21:1 Firmware version 1.008) with my meanwhile into german FW 1.008 changed FW on the cam.
With the german PC-program, what was delivered with the FW-file for the cam I may change the settings of the cam without problems.
Will a german language android-SW appreares some day by Blackvue?
Otherwise the German FW seems useless to me.
Why Blackvue generally makes differences generally between languages and makes nearly impossible to use FW in different language on its cams.
They makes with this restrictions(prohibition) more problems to thenself and the users of their cams than other manufactures that allows to change FW to any availiable languages for users.

3. To get a live-view of the cam on my android-screen, it is necessary to connect the cam and the handy with Wifi.
But when a Wifi-connection is etablished, the 3G-Data-Connection to the intenet is shut down same time controlled by the Android-OS.
So it should be impossible to have a live-view included the google-maps in the upper right - therfore a exlsting dataconnection to google-maps is needed in my oppinion.
But a map is displayed anyhow - what shows a city that is far away of the location the cam (and the car) stays.
If copying a existing clip from cam into the intern memory of my handy, switch of the Wifi and etablish the dataconnection to the web instead, I get same map in the upper right side of the Android-program, but this shows a city that is hundreds of miles away from the point, I've recorded the clip.
How to get this map showing the correct position?

4. In the manual I find nothing information about the "Movingsensor", what is setable in the settings.
What function does that one have? What switches this sensor?
Is the movingsensor for or switching between "N" and "P"?
The "E"-Mode is switched by the three Sliders for U/D L/R F/B?
Are clips marked with the "E" write-protected for prevent them for overwritung? Seems not so - but would be much better.
I some has a traffic accident, comes into hospital immediately, the loop-function of the cam overwrites the record that shows the accident until the driver reaches his car finaly.

kind regards

MyFirstSLK said:
Hello,

first I beg to excuse my poor english, but I am a German and schooltime is years ago ;-)

May be, my questions are asked (and answered) in other postings - but it is problematical and time-consuming to me, to read english. So would be nice, to get answers here that are already given in other places.

Will be a little much to read, but hoping to get answers anyhow.

After two DOD GS600 (front and rear), I bought a Blackvue DR500GW-HD for using in my car windshield.
This cam arrived last week.
While running the Setup, I found out, the cam has a english language - but fortunately I found on the website of the developer a firmware (1.008) with german language.
So I downloaded this and tried to install it onto my PC and the SD-Card.
After plug in the SD-card into the cam, the update starts, but failed with a endless loop of saying the message "Versionsinformation weicht ab" (what means "version information is different") and the cam seem to be bricked at this point.
So I downloaded the english FW in 1.008 and installed this one onto my PC and the SD-Card.
This update worked finaly on the cam and it was useable again.

Since I am a PC-freak, I installed a freeware Telnet onto my Android-handy, called the IP of the Wifi-Accesspoint of the cam (192.168.8.1) then and deleted the files in "\mnt\nand"
like I found described on a webpage. As logIn for the Cam I used "root" as User and "pt" as password.
The order, I used in telnet was:
"rm -r \mnt\nand" (the folder "nand" wouldn't be deleted cause protected, but it's contents)
Then I installed the german FW 1.008 again into PC and SD-Card.
The setup worked fine and complete.
After the automatical restart of the cam, it welcomes me with the german language.
Then I did reset of the a SD-Card with pressing the round button near the SD-Card-slot for a while until the cam beeped.
Now the cam works well with german language.
So far, so good.

Meanwhile I received the answer of blackview where I asked for my problem to change the language before I found out the solution for myself.
Blackview says, it is impossible to change the language of the firmware ;-)

Now to my problems and questions:

1. The cam-clock has show wrong date/time after upgrade (seems to me, it was date/time from the upgrade-file). The clock corrected itself only after start the upgrade again in the car, where a GPS-signal was availiable.
Is this normal?

2. Since the update, it is impossible to me to change the settings of the FW from cam with the android software.
The android-program says, "Configuration is impossible because data version in Micro SD Card is not compatible. Please upgrade Micro SD Card" and the FW settings can't be changed.
I think, reason for is, I use a english android program (V: 1.43 2013/8/7 9:21:1 Firmware version 1.008) with my meanwhile into german FW 1.008 changed FW on the cam.
With the german PC-program, what was delivered with the FW-file for the cam I may change the settings of the cam without problems.
Will a german language android-SW appreares some day by Blackvue?
Otherwise the German FW seems useless to me.
Why Blackvue generally makes differences generally between languages and makes nearly impossible to use FW in different language on its cams.
They makes with this restrictions(prohibition) more problems to thenself and the users of their cams than other manufactures that allows to change FW to any availiable languages for users.

3. To get a live-view of the cam on my android-screen, it is necessary to connect the cam and the handy with Wifi.
But when a Wifi-connection is etablished, the 3G-Data-Connection to the intenet is shut down same time controlled by the Android-OS.
So it should be impossible to have a live-view included the google-maps in the upper right - therfore a exlsting dataconnection to google-maps is needed in my oppinion.
But a map is displayed anyhow - what shows a city that is far away of the location the cam (and the car) stays.
If copying a existing clip from cam into the intern memory of my handy, switch of the Wifi and etablish the dataconnection to the web instead, I get same map in the upper right side of the Android-program, but this shows a city that is hundreds of miles away from the point, I've recorded the clip.
How to get this map showing the correct position?

4. In the manual I find nothing information about the "Movingsensor", what is setable in the settings.
What function does that one have? What switches this sensor?
Is the movingsensor for or switching between "N" and "P"?
The "E"-Mode is switched by the three Sliders for U/D L/R F/B?
Are clips marked with the "E" write-protected for prevent them for overwritung? Seems not so - but would be much better.
I some has a traffic accident, comes into hospital immediately, the loop-function of the cam overwrites the record that shows the accident until the driver reaches his car finaly.

kind regards
In answer to your questions in order

1 Yes usually

2 Change your settings on the PC using the setup in the viewer Works for me

3 Drive around for a while and the map usually comes comes OK

4 Don't use the Wifi and so cant help The camera wont overwrite for about 9 hours of recording so should still be there.

It depends whether you have the settings on "time" or % I use time and it will eventually overwrite everything.

on % it will overwrite the first section that fills up EG if normal is on 60% Event is on 20% and Park is 20% it depends on how many events or parking things happen which will be erased first

The number of "events" is governed by several things. How you have the sensitivity set how rough your roads are and how rough your driving is.

I have my sensitivity turned down so as it needs a fair bump to activate it. It will still activate in an accident but not with a rough bit of road.

If you have an accident I presume someone would turn your car off or disconnect the battery so the camera would turn off and retain the images.

I never bother looking at the video unless something happens that I need to confirm and save it. Cant see the point in looking at a phone screen that is showing what you are seeing through the windscreen.
If I want to view the video I put the card in the PC and use the viewer Much easier to see the detail.

To change from one language firmware perhaps you should read " Mightboos" thread as he has changed 1.008 to another language using Telnet

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2119

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

thanks a lot for your kind reply.

I wonder, why Blackvue does not publish on its FW-download-page the information to initiate and install a FW-update just under free sky, where GPS is available for getting correct date/time after the update.
If starting the update in a closed room, I could't find a way to get back the real date/time although the cam comes into car later - the date/time was frozen in date/time of FW-file-stamp then.
Have driven half an hour with the car after installing the update in my office, couldn't recognice a correction of date/time. Still holds some date of Jul.2013 and increasing time in its clips.
Just after reinstall the update directly in the car, where GPS was availiable while the update, the date/time was set to real time.

It is no problem to change the settings of the cam what are stored on the SD-card with the included PC program when the SD-card is inserted into the cardreader of the PC fortunately.
But the Android-program unfortunately can change the cam-settings just with english FW. This is a matter, Blackvue should correct in my opinion.

Sorry, I think, I had described the situation not clear enought - just had 5 years english at school.
If having the cam fixed in the car with active Wifi-connection to the Android-mobile phone, the OS of the phone prevents a simultaneous connection to 3G-Data-Connection by meaning the SIM-card. This is a technical limitation of Android - either Wifi-connection or 3G-Data-connection, not both in coeval. If the Wifi-connection does not makes a data-connection (to a router for example) like if connected with the the cam, the Android-system does not have any data-connection to the web. Android does not recognice the missing of data connection and start the 3G-connection same time, 3G-data connection just is availiable if Wifi is switched off.

The actual situation is, I make a Wifi connection to SSID "DR500GW-Exxxxxx" with the mobile phone, what connectes the mobile phone with the cam and start the Android program of Blackvue then.
The Wifi connects both devices and I can get a live view of the cam in the mobile phone. This works fine.
In the upper right in the live view is a compass-symbol, when put my finger on this a small window appears that shows a "+", "-" and should show the actual position on a map.
But this won't(can't) work, since for displaying the map, the mobile phone needs a 3G-data connection to download the map from the web.
Since the limitation of Android, it hinders a 3G-data connection while a Wifi-connection to a device is established, there is no source where the program can download its map for displaying.
In fact a map displays a region then, but this is far away from the real coordinates, the car stays. Anyhow how long I stay in car and keep tab on the display.

But same wrong map is displayed when I switch off the Wifi connection between mobile phone and cam, making a 3G-data-connection with the SIM-card instead and open a clip, that I have exported from cam to mobile phone before. Since a data-connection now exists, the clip should show download the correct map-clipping and shows the real position where it was recorded then.
But it shows just the same place far away like in the live view.
What I did wrong? Would get correct displayed maps when playing stored clips on my mobile phone with the Android program.
Anyone gets an idea to solve this problem?
If I am on the road and police stops me, I should be able to show them the stored clips together with the map where the clips have been recorded before.

The problem with not write-protected "E"-signed clips in the cam I see, if I be into hospital after a traffic accident for longer time, the cam needs to overwrite all saved data on SD-card for example.
I have a self made electronic build in my car, what supplys the 12V-connector after switching off the ignition for more 12h with power from the battery until the electronic shut down the connector.
This means, if I am longer than 12h away from the car after an accident, all clips recorded from the accident are overwritten meanwhile, and I loosed all evidences for my innocent in worst case.
Therefor it would be much better in my opinion to set the write-protected-flag automatically to all "E"-marked clips by the FW.
If so, I can't loose any important clips, not matter when I come back to car after a traffic accident.
I have set the sensity down like you, just to get clips with strong movements marked with "E".
Just miss the writing-protect on this clips.

Mightboss (described at http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=254.0) did nearly the same to change the language, but in his thread I miss the declaration of needed username and password for enter the cam with telnet - in finite we both have same successfull results.
I really like the female german speeking voice on my cam. ;-)

Thanks again for your help.

Forgot a little remark.
If doessn't can see correct map view in the Android program while playing stored clips from my mobile phone, I get correct map views when playing the same clips on my PC at home later.
So the coordinates saved together with the clips should be correct.
Some in the Android program ot the "export to external memory" seem to be wrong to me.

MyFirstSLK said:
Hello,

thanks a lot for your kind reply.

I wonder, why Blackvue does not publish on its FW-download-page the information to initiate and install a FW-update just under free sky, where GPS is available for getting correct date/time after the update.
If starting the update in a closed room, I could't find a way to get back the real date/time although the cam comes into car later - the date/time was frozen in date/time of FW-file-stamp then.
Have driven half an hour with the car after installing the update in my office, couldn't recognice a correction of date/time. Still holds some date of Jul.2013 and increasing time in its clips.
Just after reinstall the update directly in the car, where GPS was availiable while the update, the date/time was set to real time.

It is no problem to change the settings of the cam what are stored on the SD-card with the included PC program when the SD-card is inserted into the cardreader of the PC fortunately.
But the Android-program unfortunately can change the cam-settings just with english FW. This is a matter, Blackvue should correct in my opinion.

Sorry, I think, I had described the situation not clear enought - just had 5 years english at school.
If having the cam fixed in the car with active Wifi-connection to the Android-mobile phone, the OS of the phone prevents a simultaneous connection to 3G-Data-Connection by meaning the SIM-card. This is a technical limitation of Android - either Wifi-connection or 3G-Data-connection, not both in coeval. If the Wifi-connection does not makes a data-connection (to a router for example) like if connected with the the cam, the Android-system does not have any data-connection to the web. Android does not recognice the missing of data connection and start the 3G-connection same time, 3G-data connection just is availiable if Wifi is switched off.

The actual situation is, I make a Wifi connection to SSID "DR500GW-Exxxxxx" with the mobile phone, what connectes the mobile phone with the cam and start the Android program of Blackvue then.
The Wifi connects both devices and I can get a live view of the cam in the mobile phone. This works fine.
In the upper right in the live view is a compass-symbol, when put my finger on this a small window appears that shows a "+", "-" and should show the actual position on a map.
But this won't(can't) work, since for displaying the map, the mobile phone needs a 3G-data connection to download the map from the web.
Since the limitation of Android, it hinders a 3G-data connection while a Wifi-connection to a device is established, there is no source where the program can download its map for displaying.
In fact a map displays a region then, but this is far away from the real coordinates, the car stays. Anyhow how long I stay in car and keep tab on the display.

But same wrong map is displayed when I switch off the Wifi connection between mobile phone and cam, making a 3G-data-connection with the SIM-card instead and open a clip, that I have exported from cam to mobile phone before. Since a data-connection now exists, the clip should show download the correct map-clipping and shows the real position where it was recorded then.
But it shows just the same place far away like in the live view.
What I did wrong? Would get correct displayed maps when playing stored clips on my mobile phone with the Android program.
Anyone gets an idea to solve this problem?
If I am on the road and police stops me, I should be able to show them the stored clips together with the map where the clips have been recorded before.

The problem with not write-protected "E"-signed clips in the cam I see, if I be into hospital after a traffic accident for longer time, the cam needs to overwrite all saved data on SD-card for example.
I have a self made electronic build in my car, what supplys the 12V-connector after switching off the ignition for more 12h with power from the battery until the electronic shut down the connector.
This means, if I am longer than 12h away from the car after an accident, all clips recorded from the accident are overwritten meanwhile, and I loosed all evidences for my innocent in worst case.
Therefor it would be much better in my opinion to set the write-protected-flag automatically to all "E"-marked clips by the FW.
If so, I can't loose any important clips, not matter when I come back to car after a traffic accident.
I have set the sensity down like you, just to get clips with strong movements marked with "E".
Just miss the writing-protect on this clips.

Mightboss (described at http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=254.0) did nearly the same to change the language, but in his thread I miss the declaration of needed username and password for enter the cam with telnet - in finite we both have same successfull results.
I really like the female german speeking voice on my cam. ;-)

The simple way to fix the overwrite problem is shorten the time that it stays on after turning off the ignition. 3 hours would be plenty as in my case it is always parked in a locked garage and I rarely have it parked away from home for more than a couple of hours in a carpark. Why do you need 12 hours Hard on a battery for what???????

The login and password in that thread is this login: root, pass: pt You have to login to see it and click on "top Secret"

MyFirstSLK said:
Forgot a little remark.
If doessn't can see correct map view in the Android program while playing stored clips from my mobile phone, I get correct map views when playing the same clips on my PC at home later.
So the coordinates saved together with the clips should be correct.
Some in the Android program ot the "export to external memory" seem to be wrong to me.

Seems like its your phone and not the camera that has the problem

Hello,

thanks for ya help.

Unfortunately I have to let my car parking directly on our small road over night.
If someone damage my car over night, it would be helpful, to get his plating number.
For this I built a Yellow Top AGM 75AH battery from Optima into my car instead of the small regular plumbum battery.
Never had problems with this battery, even though I have a rear cam (DOD 600) built in my car same time.
Even can open the electric steel roof (pulls a lot of Ampere) after days of standing and start the car as usual after doing this.
Really a strong battery ;-)

Could well be, my mobile phone is the problem. Have Android 4.2.2 meanwhile on my HTC One X installed.
Would be glad, if others reports if the Android-program works on their mobile phones with showing correct maps while live view or playback stored clips.

P.S. username "root" (without exclamation marks) does not exists on car-dvr.info, the page tells when trying to log in
No matter, I'll create an account there.
Could be useful in future...

MyFirstSLK said:
P.S. username "root" (without exclamation marks) does not exists on car-dvr.info, the page tells when trying to log in
No matter, I'll create an account there.
Could be useful in future...
As I said

The login and password in that thread is this, login: root, pass: pt YOU HAVE TO LOG IN OR REGISTER TO SEE IT AND AFTER YOU DO THERE IS A LITTLE "TOP SECRET" part Its in there

It is there if you follow instructions and now Ive told you what it is you don't need to.

Uh, thank you.

I have misunderstood your message with using the username and password yesterday.
Thought, it'll be the guest-login for that forum.

The username and password for entering the telnet-connection to the DR500 I found somewhere in the web before I did the connection for deleting the named subfiolders.

Meanwhile I have a account there and I'm in contact wit a probably leading member there.
As soon, as they have built in a german voice in their custom firmware, I'll try this.
Seems the custom FW has much more available settings what makes the DR500 more useful than the stock FW.

Have a nice Weekend.

MyFirstSLK said:
Seems the custom FW has much more available settings what makes the DR500 more useful than the stock FW.
yeah tell us something we do not know. that's what this forum is a lot about, improving this crap 500. read the 103 page thread on it all, its ALL in there.

Back