Suspected "Fake" dvr207GS

Zbeest

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys, new to this forum. I came across it when researching the issues I was having with the DVR207GS I bought.
I bought this item on EBAY.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360735320943
It looked legit...
I received it quite quickly and have had chance to do some recording with it. I got suspicious when the image appeared to be quite grainy and could not get a good image of license plates. I've tried resolutions from 480 upto 720 as I know the 1080 is really just upscaled.
Here are the differences as I've seen when compared to what I believe should be a genuine 207GS...
1) the date time is yellow and is on the bottom
2) the firmware version does not match the format of the real dvr207 . In this case it is 2013-02-21SD
3)power is supplied via the mini hdmi connectoro
4) most important -and I did take it to pieces... It does not appear to have the Zoran chips
Here are a few images -perhaps someone can confirm whether these are Zoran or not but they don't look it to me... Sorry for the lacking detail they were snapped with a phone camera...
view2_zps2bf37a17.jpg

view1_zps4b1e3478.jpg

I've already contacted the seller as I don't intend to ship this thing back but it would be nice if I could get confirmation about the observations and the chips used. Maybe it would assist others looking at this same item....
Thanks!
Chris

1) the date time is yellow and is on the bottom
2) the firmware version does not match the format of the real dvr207 . In this case it is 2013-02-21SD

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I have no idea about the chips since I rarely open my gadgets, but the time/date stamp is a clear tell-tale sign that you have a fake in your hands. The real DVR-XX7s have a big time/date stamp with black letters on a white background like this screenshot:

DVR-027-capture-1.jpg

If the seller does not take care of you quickly enough, you can simply file a claim with PayPal Purchase Protection and state they sold something that wasn't as advertised. I see the seller has an eBay reputation > 90 so my guess is they will respond quickly if you warn them about filing a claim beforehand.

And, by the way, if you do get your money back, for that price you're better off ordering a G1W from estore009 on eBay. Better video quality and better quality overall vs. the DVR-207GS... Plus you're buying from a reputable seller who has been tried and tested by a lot of users in this forum.

From the internal pictures that is not a Zoran processor. It is an iCatch / Sunplus processor...see the logo...
logo.jpg

I can't make out the model # but it is likely a SPCA1628A or SPCA1521A which is a low quality chip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates guys... I've told the seller it looks like it is a fake... ALso forgot to mention that the box it came in is different too. No way I'm sending it back at my expense either... Will let you know the outcome... for now -it's "ok" as it's better than nothing at all...

File a complaint with eBay or Paypal and see what happens. It is not a real DVR 207 for sure.

File a complaint with eBay or Paypal and see what happens. It is not a real DVR 207 for sure.

when doing this you need to report that the item is counterfeit (not just not as described) either way it goes in your favor but it is an offense to send counterfeit goods through the mail so they should ask you to destroy it rather than return it, obviously returning it would not be cost effective

Back