Unreliable Ignition On Recording

tonyl09

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my Actioncam for about 9 months and generally I'm very pleased with it. I use it as a dashcam mounted in my front screen.

However, there is an irritating problem with it and I am interested to know if anyone else has experience of the problem or the solution.

I've noticed for some time now that I cannot rely on it to consistently commence recording when I turn on the ignition. I have it connected through the Mobius USB Adapter to a 12v power outlet in my car. It is permanently connected so that I should just be able to get in the car, turn on the ignition and have recording commence. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen.

The strange thing is the red led lights up briefly when I turn on the ignition but then it sometimes doesn't come back on blinking to show it's recording, and on checking the card content, it hasn't recorded. Sometimes I notice its isn't blinking and sometimes I don't notice. When I notice I either press the power button on the cam or unplug and plug the micro usb and it starts recording.

A solution would be me changing my routine to always check and press the power button but I shouldn't need to.

I've tried changing Power On Delay but it makes no difference to the problem. So I leave it on Fast.

I'm confident it isn't the card, heat, or power. Three of us have this cam (at my recommendation) and all have the same problem. We use different makes of card, have different cars, and one has only bought his cam recently.

I've had my Actioncam for about 9 months and generally I'm very pleased with it. I use it as a dashcam mounted in my front screen.

However, there is an irritating problem with it and I am interested to know if anyone else has experience of the problem or the solution.

I've noticed for some time now that I cannot rely on it to consistently commence recording when I turn on the ignition. I have it connected through the Mobius USB Adapter to a 12v power outlet in my car. It is permanently connected so that I should just be able to get in the car, turn on the ignition and have recording commence. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen.

The strange thing is the red led lights up briefly when I turn on the ignition but then it sometimes doesn't come back on blinking to show it's recording, and on checking the card content, it hasn't recorded. Sometimes I notice its isn't blinking and sometimes I don't notice. When I notice I either press the power button on the cam or unplug and plug the micro usb and it starts recording.

A solution would be me changing my routine to always check and press the power button but I shouldn't need to.

I've tried changing Power On Delay but it makes no difference to the problem. So I leave it on Fast.

I'm confident it isn't the card, heat, or power. Three of us have this cam (at my recommendation) and all have the same problem. We use different makes of card, have different cars, and one has only bought his cam recently.
This issue has been heavily discussed in another thread, but offhand I can't remember where.
What is important is that you must have stable power after ~5 seconds after you initially supply power. If, for any reason, you cut the power between the ~5 sec. and ~6 sec. mark the camera will turn off.
You can apply/cut the power as many times as you want before the ~5 sec. mark, but the timing starts the first time you connect power. This is when the firmware starts to load.

Many thanks both for your fast responses.

I tried searching for an answer before posting but drew a blank. I see it's in a thread re super-cap and I've now read the thread so thanks for the link GJHS.

It looks like it will need a firmware tweak to fix or a behaviour change on my part - but I don't like the idea of plugging in and out each time I drive the car. That's going to play hell with the connectors even though I don't drive every day.

Thanks again. I'll keep my eye on the other thread now.

Reactions: Jim
I mentioned in the referenced thread (post #220) that I had a similar issue appear out of nowhere with my Mobius set-up and that adjusting and cleaning the contacts between the cable and the camera cured the problem. This might be a simple thing worth trying that could do no harm. (Just be VERY careful if you try bending retaining prongs on the female miniUSB socket.)

Edit: The product(s) I find most useful for problems involving electrical contact issues caused by oxidation or corrosion (and to prevent them) are made by Caig Laboratories. They produce a wide variety of products but for this purpose the best things to use are DeoxIt D110L and DeoxIt GOLD G100L, both available in small convenient tubes. I always keep some around and it often saves the day.

If you search around for these products you can order them individually from various vendors without having to spend Caig's online store minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, if I understand correctly, this problem only began to manifest after you introduced the variable of a super-capacitor, whereas a few people are reporting a problem with their Mobius failing to run after ignition start with no modifications. I think this may be somehow confusing the issue. Like I've said, in my case it was an intermittent contact problem rather than stable power for the requisite number of seconds.

Edit: Or are you having problems with your non-modified cameras as well?

I see.....hmmm. Hope my contact cleaner fix-it keeps working, but apparently there's also something else at play.

Reactions: Jim
With my car, the key is a 'lozenge' full of electronics that is inserted into a slot in the dash. This enables the stereo, etc, but not the power socket.

When pressing the starter button, the LED in the USB power adapter in the power socket illuminates immediately, however, the red LED at the rear of the Mobius doesn't quickly flash 3 times until the engine has started.

This seems to suit the Mobius well, as I haven't had any problems at all. I do have to remember to disable the stop-start system at the start of every journey, however, I was accustomed to doing that before I bought the Mobius, as I loathe stop-start, & there's no way to permanently disable it.

@Isoprop who is the relay to the developer? I know Tom Frank speaks with him weekly, yet has no (?) presence here nor the developer (?). Do you represent this part of the user group or is that done through each authorized seller as/if they receive feedback?

Last edited:
A lot of users from both forums are having difficulties with the SD card brand/class pickiness. There is a big discussion of it on the RC group, so it's well known and I imagine Tom Frank will relay that info and it will be fixed. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27455454&postcount=6952

The over heating problem, that worried and still worries so many pre buying, I think we can agree was exaggerated. There were a few; not many people affected.

There is a problem with the camera not wanting to start after not using it for a while, as well as it changing the date. Most of these problems are RC focused and have fixed themselves automatically, with a battery charge or being replaced.

The only other problem I have heard about is this failure to start problem. The question is how many are affected? Without starting a huge worry with another separate thread/poll, how many have had problems with their cameras not starting? Please add a post below mine, stating if you have or experienced it and if so, how often.

I would say, so far, the Mobius has been very reliable, with few real issues and the developer fixing and improving as he goes. @Jim, the Pioneer :cool:, you have opened the doors for new applications and uses we all dreamed about. I thank you for your wisdom and bravery!

Last edited:
My camera has failed to start 4 times. I realize now that it happens when I don't push the clutch in enough. The car fails to start and I have to turn the key off and on again. If I was the only driver, no problem. Unfortunately it has also happened to my wife and when we lent the car to her sister.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion dashmellow but I think there is something else in play besides bad contact.

When I last used the car (I don't use it every day) out of three engine starts it failed to continue recording on two.

I'm going try modifying my engine start routine to take account of the need for 5 secs power stability. I drive a diesel car so my routine has been to turn on the ignition (which powers up the cam), wait for some lights to go out on the control panel (indicating the engine warm up is complete), then start the engine. I'm going to try different periods between ignition on and start. I know Jim still had a problem after 5 secs.

My cam is running on its battery, by the way. And it's failed far more than four times. It's a regular problem for me. But like Jim says, it's an action not dash cam. I think we'd all agree it is almost an ideal dashcam - small size, great video & sound, very easy to switch to using as an action/street/vista cam. Apart from the start up problem there's only one thing it's lacking for me as both an action and dashcam and that's built in/plug in gps.

You could try locating a different power source for the Mobius. Vehicles usually have an "ignition on" power circuit that remains "live" while the engine is cranking; other non- vital power sources are cut to maximise power to the starter motor (ie. the cigarette lighter socket loses power.)

Try connecting your Mobius to the "ignition on" circuit which remains live and it may sort your problem. ;)

@Isoprop who is the relay to the developer? I know Tom Frank speaks with him weekly, yet has no (?) presence here nor the developer (?). Do you represent this part of the user group or is that done through each authorized seller as/if they receive feedback?
I don't know if the developer monitors the dashcam threads. I think he may. Unfortunately, there are so many threads that they become confusing. IMO, it is much more efficient to have one or two threads and not a whole bunch of threads for each subject. There are just too many overlaps. Anyway, that's just my point of view from a "supporter's" perspective. I do realize the threads were not intended as 'support' threads.

Tom and I work together closely with the developer so we normally have the same information. We don't make any suggestions. We test current and beta firmware following what has been posted in RCG and dashcamtalk and may provide links to people's problems. We don't report anything unless we can confirm the issue ourselves, the big exception being the card compatibility issue. I just can't find a card that doesn't work :) or :( !!
As you know, I don't use a dashcam, so I can only simulate the environment. Unfortunately, I have never been able to simulate the camera turning off unexpectedly, so I can only guess this is due to a short loss of contact or a voltage fluctuation. I don't have another explanation. I have a switch rigged up to apply/cut power and I toggle this numerous times per day, and, as long I observe the initial ~5 seconds, the camera has always recorded as it should. What I can't simulate is the temperature changes or a bumpy ride.

The loop-recording issue when the card is full is documented. The ~5 second start-up is also documented, but I don't know if it's possible to solve with firmware alone.
I will relay any bugs found to the developer if I can repeat them myself, but there's no point in reporting isolated issues that can't easily be repeated.

Thanks for your suggestion dashmellow but I think there is something else in play besides bad contact.

When I last used the car (I don't use it every day) out of three engine starts it failed to continue recording on two.

I'm going try modifying my engine start routine to take account of the need for 5 secs power stability. I drive a diesel car so my routine has been to turn on the ignition (which powers up the cam), wait for some lights to go out on the control panel (indicating the engine warm up is complete), then start the engine. I'm going to try different periods between ignition on and start. I know Jim still had a problem after 5 secs.

My cam is running on its battery, by the way. And it's failed far more than four times. It's a regular problem for me. But like Jim says, it's an action not dash cam. I think we'd all agree it is almost an ideal dashcam - small size, great video & sound, very easy to switch to using as an action/street/vista cam. Apart from the start up problem there's only one thing it's lacking for me as both an action and dashcam and that's built in/plug in gps.
Tony the problem seems more common for Diesel users, since there is a need in the winter to warm the the plugs by turning the key to ACC for a few seconds first. This is the same scenario as Jim. I don't find the situation as common on my gas engine since I start without hesitation normally. I will say if you let the cam start recording (blinking red lights) in ACC it will stay on after you start, so timing is everything. It's just not a great scenario to revolve your start up around the cam, so a fix is needed.

Murcod, thanks for your suggestion but the car isn't a year old yet so I don't want to do anything with the electrics - warranty, etc. And it's not just me has this problem, two of my friends do and like me all they want to do is just plug in. The three of us have diesel cars.

GJHS I am going to do as you and let the cam start recording before I start the engine. I think that although I have been waiting for the control panel to let me know I can start, it's probably much less than 5 secs, so I'm going to wait longer.

One reason for suggesting the simple procedure of cleaning and adjusting the contacts was to aid in eliminating this problem from whatever else might be "in play besides bad contact". (aka Troubleshooting 101)

Murcod, thanks for your suggestion but the car isn't a year old yet so I don't want to do anything with the electrics - warranty, etc.

Murcod provided an excellent suggestion and one worth considering. It does not require doing "anything with the electrics" that would affect your warranty in any way and it would also be easy to remove. All it requires is a simple and inexpensive fuse tap to run power from a different circuit to your camera than the accessory circuit.

add-a-circuit.jpg

installtap.jpg

cigtap.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dashmellow for the additional info on Murcod's suggestion and many thanks for the pics which make the suggestion much clearer. I have a much better understanding now and I'm going to follow up on it.

This morning I tried a slightly different startup routine and out of three startups I got three recording successes. Yehhh!!

All I did was turn on the ignition, put on my seat belt, then started the engine. Normally I put my belt on after starting. The small delay seemed to do the trick but I'll need to see how it goes.

In the meantime I'll look into having a fuse tap. I need to find where the "ignition on" power circuit is. I've had a look at the manual and there are an awful lot of fuses. Although it tells you what they are for I need to narrow it down to those that are powered when the ignition is on. I used to do all the maintenance on my cars but that was over twenty years ago and there were far less fuses then and only one fuse box. I'll just have to work my way through the likely candidates until I find a suitable one.

Many thanks again to all for the help given.

It's not really very hard to install.....just requires a few tools and some dedication.
reGvKtU.jpg

Last edited:
Back