Video merging software

ExMet

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB-100HD
What do you guys use for merging/joining video segments?
I sometimes want to save a recording from my ITB-100HD to my computer but I don't want to save 10 1-minute clips. I want 1 10-minute clip.

Thanks.

I have used Avidemux. I record in 5 min clips and sometimes something i want to save will be at the end of one 5 min into the beginning of another.
Avidemux lets me merge and cut clips so i can turn what is two 5 min clips with something interesting in them into one 3 min clip of just the footage.

Avidemux is free and available for Linux, Windows and Mac. The 64Bit version seems a little buggy, but the 32bit version seems to run a little better.

:EDIT:
If it crashes after loading a video, disable openGl in preferences.
It had been freezing up for me a little, but i just read that on the download site so I'll disable that and try it.

:EDIT2:
I tried both the 32 and 64 bit program with the openGl off and it is still a little freezy on my machine while editing videos it does work if you give it a little time to process but i can not seem to skip through the 5 min clip with the program so i have to watch it and time my A/B points right, but it does merge and cut videos when it wants to work.

Hopefully it might just be my machine or if it is the program someone else can offer something free and better.

I recommend M4Cam2AVI and use [no recompression].
This nice, stable, easy to use and free application can be used with all types of files recorded by these cameras.

mp4cam2avi.jpg

But I think people must know if there are some external gps data files after join with any software, video and GPS data will not match.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Thanks, this is very useful program.

I'm having a small issue on my end with M4Cam2AVI the video i can load two clips and the program it self runs better then AVId, so i had it line up two 5 min videos with something i wanted to save in the middle of the two clips. it mergers the audio but the video is blank in VLC so i am working on getting that to work.

Some cameras are using non-standard avi format and because of this some software have problems.
If you want only some parts try to save one by one and than join again.
I hope you will find and share the solution,

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Some cameras are using non-standard avi format and because of this some software have problems.
If you want only some parts try to save one by one and than join again.
I hope you will find and share the solution,

enjoy,
Mtz

The above worked. Had to take one 5 min clip cut the end off save it. Take the second clip cut the start off save it and then let the program join both those cut clips together.

Thanks Mtz now that you suggested doing it that way this program works way better then the one i linked to for me.

OK, but because AviDemux is just great, is better to use for another tasks, more complicated. The M4Cam2Avi is just more user friendly. I am using M4Cam2Avi just for joining and converting from different formats to avi. Then because I know VirtualDubMod for more than 10 years, I am using it for cut or reencoding and I am using X264 Vfw as encoder with a CQP=18 setting,

The main goal for user is too keep as much possible the the original video not re-encoded before saving it or uploading to youtube. It is better to offer to the people the best video quality compared to some transitions, effects, titles or subtitles which are not important if you want the best quality and not have a big video experience. And don't forget that YouTube have great features as annotations and subtitles so you can keep the best video with your descriptions if needed.

Also in these days DVDs are almost dead and people are using a lot of HD standalone media players, tablets, notebooks, smartphones, Android TV Sticks to watch their movies and because of this, reencoding is not necessary like on old good DVD days. But if you still want to reencode for any reason, use the H264 encoder.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yeah avoiding re-encoding is definitely a good idea unless you're needing to do a proper edit or generally "jazz things up" with titles and effects. I see so many F'd up videos on Youtube that make me wonder what crazy chain of video software they've been through to end up in such a state.

I can recommend MP4Cam2Avi as being useful, and it's a decent open source project despite the name sounding like one of those spy/adware infested utilities that banner adverts try to get you to download!

AviDemux, another open source project, is quite powerful as mentioned - I've used it a fair few times in the past. But its stability leaves a lot to be desired!

My most favourite video tweaking tool is VirtualDub. It's been around for a long time and it's rock solid. It does need some additional 3rd party plugins to handle anything other than AVI and some codecs used by dash cams though. If anyone's particularly interested in using VirtualDub, but needs it to import mp4, mov and handle h264 and AC3 let me know and I'll compile a list of useful resources.

I think is a good idea to offer a goodies list for VirtualDub. I am still on VirualDubMod from many years because some things I didn't like years ago on VirtualDub and I stuck with the Mod. I never tried again if VirualDub gained that very good features from Mod and is more than 5 years.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ok here goes!

I use the original VirtualDub (latest stable) because the VirtualDubMod, VirtualDubMPEG2 etc forks have long been abandoned.

It is possible to make up for some of the lost features by using various plugins etc.

VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/

Windows ACM AC3 codec: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AC3-ACM-Decompressor

Various input plugins, in particular for MPEG-2 (will even read DVD VOBs): http://www.virtualdub-fr.org/telechargement?lang=en

ffmpeg input plugin (allows reading a massive variety of formats as supported by ffmpeg): http://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/downloads/list

Lame MP3 DirectShow encoder for saving videos with high quality MP3 audio: http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php

x264 (h264) Windows VFW codec for encoding videos with h264 codec: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

Good filters for tweaking videos in a variety of ways can be found at http://neuron2.net/.

I'm well versed in VirtualDub use and generally working with digital video and dealing with Windows drivers and codecs, so if anyone needs help let me know and I'll do my best to.

I'll add any more I remember later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still like free software for such easy things.

enjoy,
Mtz

I use a mixture of Camtasia for YouTube and Sony Vegas for police / evidence.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ExMet said:
What do you guys use for merging/joining video segments?
I sometimes want to save a recording from my ITB-100HD to my computer but I don't want to save 10 1-minute clips. I want 1 10-minute clip.

Thanks.

http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

It's come a LONG way and will combine the exact timeline you select into one file. (plus even more options) It's free!
If your camera isn't supported email the dev on the contact page and he usually will help add it

DashCamDave said:
What about an app for Mac OSX and/or Linux for merging mp4 files from BlackVue cam?
Any recommendations?

I've seen that question asked a lot with no answers. iMovie would do it but its not dashcam GPS friendly etc

You're better off putting a VMware
(virtual machine) install of Windows on your Mac and or Linux box and using registratorviewer.

Well you won't see the map if its offline. Why does it need to be offline? It should work for joining files offline sure. Try it. I can PM you the latest unreleased beta 5.3

DashCamDave said:
JazJon said:
Well you won't see the map if its offline. Why does it need to be offline? It should work for joining files offline sure. Try it. I can PM you the latest unreleased beta 5.3

Thanks for the PM with a link to beta, appreciate it.

I keep WinXP in VirtualBox on my Mac for a single purpose - to be able to open/edit some very old CorelDRAW files (that I'm too lazy to convert to InDesign or Illustrator), so there's no need for this virtual machine to be online, nor, to be honest, do I want to operate any Windows system that is allowed online access :shock:

As far as the maps / GPS data etc, I don't actually need that in resulting long video files, the BlackVue Viewer is fine for that.

Ok then offline use to join multiple files should be fine. The .exe runs as is (doesn't install anything, just calls on Windows APIs)

FYI...........
My Question to Vadim (developer of RegistratorViewer):
"Latest beta still works great thanks again. A few people in the forum have asked if you plan on porting RegistratorViewer to work in Mac OS X. Is that a remote possibility? (or no way, too difficult) For now I told them to run Windows in VMware Fusion. ~Jon"

Vadim's Answer:
"Current project cannot be compiled for MAC, because a lot of direct Windows API using.
For MAC need new project, started from empty. I don't plan to do this."

DashCamDave said:
Thanks JazJon,

I've look through the RegistratorViewer and decided that it is not for me. Not only I do not want to change the existing WinXP virtual machine, as it is basically a single-purpose mission-critical setup, hence protective off-line status; the RegistratorViewer itself seems to duplicate most of the functions of BlackVue Viewer for OSX, a native Mac app I am rather happy with.

As far as joining together mp4 files, it would have to be something else, there are numerous Linux options, I'm sure I can port one through darwin etc - I brought a few of my favourite programs from Linux into Mac before, e.g. KMyMoney, just need to stop being lazy and fiddle a bit with X11 ;) :?

Can you try CodeWeavers CrossOver on Mac OS X?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&p=25849#p25849
I had limited sucess but running Mac OS X in VMware so no Video apps works. (can't launch iMovie etc) I need someone with a real Mac to try it. (trial version)

Back