niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Another interesting find:

Whistler SP3 with 3" hotswap detachable screen, WDR, Ambarella A5, 7G glass lens, massive 1000mAh built in battery.

Few month ago I saw similar form factor dash cam on some Russian dash cam forum, but not with A5 & 7G glass lens.
This one here is more tempting product.

Product Features:

1. using the the Ambarella A5 sports level chip
2. 1920x1080P high-definition resolution Photography
3. WDR wide dynamic high definition sensor balanced
4. latest three sections of camera angles manually adjust the
5. DV grade 7 glass day and night lens
6. three-inch hot-swap touch LCD screen
7. H.264 high-definition video files compressed
8. with driving / sports dual mode switch
9. and driving TS format instant storage is not bad files
10. seamless video does not leak the second shift storage technologies
11. 720P mode video per second up to 60
12. equipped with LED / infrared night-vision fill light
13. built-in three-axis gravity sensor G-Sensor
14. the SOS manual emergency lock file is not afraid to cover
15. within build explosion-proof lithium battery applies to sports photography

Source: ( use Google translator )

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 0355915330

Thank you for reading my post.

Attachments

• st-4092736-1.jpg
    st-4092736-1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 193
  • st-4092736-7.jpg
    st-4092736-7.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
I like this form factor because is supposed to be not visible from the front of the car. The 1000mAh is a useless feature for a dashcam.
But if mounted in the car I don't know how the display will be attached or maybe the mounting screw is in the opposite part of the camera. Or maybe they are thinking the suction cup to be mounted under the camera?

The night mode is not great:

And the $266 taobao price I think is too much. We can expect it on Aliexpress or ebay at $300.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
I like this form factor because is supposed to be not visible from the front of the car. The 1000mAh is a useless feature for a dashcam.
But if mounted in the car I don't know how the display will be attached or maybe the mounting screw is in the opposite part of the camera. Or maybe they are thinking the suction cup to be mounted under the camera?

The night mode is not great:

And the $266 taobao price I think is too much. We can expect it on Aliexpress or ebay at $300.

enjoy,
Mtz

I will try to find same form factor dash cam mounted in car from Russian forums when I will get more time.
I think Whistler made detachable screen, because in most cases it useless in car. You need it only to set correct camera angle and forget. Only when need to watch / check video / settings then you attach it.
Also I think Whistler wanted to make SP3 series more universal ( not only for dash cam market ), thats why they have added 1000mAh battery and detachable screen option. This way it can be used in many other places outside the car ( helmet, bike, skydiving etc. ). Here they have to develop special brackets and also I am not sure about what level of "waterproof" SP3 has so it can be used outside the car in rainy day. However form factor idea in combination with specs are good. Price usually drops when manufacturer hits international market, like it was with all major Korean and Taiwan brands.
Anyway, lets wait and see for more actual tests results.

Battery will give you short parking mode if you don't wire in?

Good for nipping into shops etc. where most parking problems (trolleys, reversing bumps, etc) occur (not when overnight at home)?

I like the idea of battery in a dashcam, with my cam I bought add on ups for this functionality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Back