Submitting a Video as Evidence?

super max

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus on Blendmount
I haven't seen this discussed, but the primary purpose of a dash cam is to have video evidence in case of an accident. So let's say I am involved in an accident and I want to submit a video segment from my dash cam to my insurance company or the police. What would I submit, the original SD card from the camera? If I give someone the SD card it could get lost or damaged or other video on it could be damaging to my case.

Seems like it would be best to make copies of only the 1/3/5 minute segment of the video that shows my accident. But if I make copies, would they still be acceptable as evidence to the insurance or police? What would you do?

I had an insurance situation whereby the other guy, basically, lied to his insurance.
As there were no witnesses it was to go 50/50, even though he overtook at speed, through lights at a T junction.
I said to my insurance that I had dashcam video - and they were happy with that.

I drove the same road over a weekend when it was quieter to show markings & lane discipline.
I also used photos from streetview as well as images from google earth.
I used cyberlink power director to clip the footage to show a minute before the prang plus just after.
Dropped the whole lot onto a dvd along with a statement in word & notepad.
Made 4 copies. Kept 1, sent myself a copy by recorded delivery, sealed in a cardboard mailer (asked the PO to put the recorded delivery label on the flap & stamp it (to show it hasn't been opened) & sent the remaining 2 copies to my insurance - in seperate envelopes, both signed for...they might lose 1 but not 2!
Might seem a bit OTT but I wanted to be sure my point was made - I wasn't at fault & this was my evidence.

Reactions: Jim
at brasil best way is do a safe copy , and present the microsd to tribunal was a prove.

sludgeguts, I admire your OCD-like meticulousness. My question for you is - if your insurance was happy with the dashcam video, why did you decide to go through all the extra work to build the DVDs? Did everything work out well, and did the other guy end up paying for his mistakes (and lies)?

always keep the original evidence by yourself. You will never know what happen on it if give it to others.
If the original video/memory card "disappear" mysteriously, then there will be nothing you can do.

dashcamsource said:
sludgeguts, I admire your OCD-like meticulousness. My question for you is - if your insurance was happy with the dashcam video, why did you decide to go through all the extra work to build the DVDs? Did everything work out well, and did the other guy end up paying for his mistakes (and lies)?

The claim form was, obviously, paper - but there never seems to be enough space on the form to give a blow by blow account - hence why I wrote everything down in a word doc & notepad (just in case).

The extra footage was to show how the junction should be driven. As it happened, when I drove it, 4 cars got there before me, 2 in each lane - and they all navigated the junction exactly as it is intended - as it is marked out.
My typed statement used numerous images to show how the route should be driven along with pics of signage etc & the fact that in my additional clip, 4 cars drove the route exactly as I described it should be driven...
TBH, it isn't that much work when you're not trying to cover your ass.
Everything did, indeed, work out well. My initial thoughts on my damage were a few scuffs to OSF bumper & wing - turned out I hit him harder than I thought - needed new steering geometry. By the time my car went in for repair, the OSF tyre was really badly scuffed.
As for the other guy, he was going to, almost, the same place as me - he lived behind my son's school (I was doing the school run). My car had obviously caught his NSR 1/4 panel & ripped his bumper off. The car was sat on his drive for months after, according to a neighbour (who went to my lad's school), the car wasn't driveable since I'd bent the rear end a bit & his insurance refused to pay out.
The story he was telling everyone (inc his insurance) was that two lanes merged, he was ahead of me, as we merged, I hit his rear end - therefore I was at fault. I wonder if his insurance refused to pay on account of HIS dangerous driving & HIS consistent lying (according to my insurance, after my verbal statement was so different, he was given chances to change & he refused.)
I'm guessing that his insurance viewed the video & decided his wrecklessness and lies had void his insurance?
My repairs would've been the best part of £2k, his would've been considerably more.

This video was on an old T-eye cam. On the inside vid, you could 'just' make out his car speeding up on my offside.
And this is why I like to have front & rear cams.

Reactions: Jim
I'm currently trying to submit dashcam video as evidence and so far have to say sludgeguts most likely isn't too meticulous or paranoid.
I've emailed it, cut it to reduce the size, re-emailed it, put it on a shared drive, put it on the toob.
all pf these met a response of either too big, broken link, can't get to.
I've put it on CD (not arrived), put it on a cd recorded delivery they claimed it was empty.
I have sent it again after testing it on every type of computer capable of reading a cd i could find, win, linux, mac(ppc & x86), in different formats, along with instruction in text how to play it, and an accompanying letter.
they now admit to having it and am awaiting somone from liability to assess it... fingers crossed.
I was warned that in the uk they will try everything to go 50/50 everybody pays no claims, everybody gets a premium increase, win win for them but honestly didn't believe it.

Do others out there have similar experiences?

After this accident I got a verbal warning from the police at the spot for "swiping a vehicle". Later that day I was at the police station for a statement and gave them a copy of my video which they sent to the city's fine payment office together with the statement that I was verbally warned. No fine was imposed. I am quite sure that the video played a role in this.

I am still waiting for the decision of the opposing insurance. For this I hired a lawyer who has my video. It helped him a lot to describe the accident sequence perfectly and he asked the opposing insurance company in writing to pay my damage. He did not send them the accident video. But it was "talk of the day" at the law firm. All four lawyers of that firm were delighted about the video. About the outcome I will inform here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear evidence can be used with a positive outcome.
I'm thinking to get a lawyer involved if my insurance continue stalling.

KvR said:
After this accident I got a verbal warning from the police at the spot for "swiping a vehicle". Later that day I was at the police station for a statement and gave them a copy of my video which they sent to the city's fine payment office together with the statement that I was verbally warned. No fine was imposed. I am quite sure that the video played a role in this.

I am still waiting for the decision of the opposing insurance. For this I hired a lawyer who has my video. It helped him a lot to describe the accident sequence perfectly and he asked the opposing insurance company in writing to pay my damage. He did not send them the accident video. But it was "talk of the day" at the law firm. All four lawyers of that firm were delighted about the video. About the outcome I will inform here.

It'd be interesting to watch the video properly to get more accurate timings, however, you do appear to be driving at a walking pace. The door opens slightly at 0.06s and more fully at 0.07s where you seem to lurch forward into it at 0.09s.
Had you been travelling at the usual speed for that road then you could be absolved but there does seem to be rather a long time before seeing the door begin to open & you hitting it when fully open.

sludgeguts said:
KvR said:

It'd be interesting to watch the video properly to get more accurate timings, however, you do appear to be driving at a walking pace. The door opens slightly at 0.06s and more fully at 0.07s where you seem to lurch forward into it at 0.09s.
Had you been travelling at the usual speed for that road then you could be absolved but there does seem to be rather a long time before seeing the door begin to open & you hitting it when fully open.
Ya, the parked car may be at fault legally. But it's an unfortunate mix of circumstances. You were (nearly) stopped in traffic. She saw this and opened her door, just at the moment that traffic ahead (and you) begin to move again.

cantremember said:
She saw this and opened her door, just at the moment that traffic ahead (and you) begin to move again.
It appears that she did not see me until a split second before the collision because she did not look over her shoulder.

It's a difficult call though, you might have been visible in her side mirror.

That is what the police officer said after viewing the video. But he also said that a final check must always be made by looking over the shoulder. In Germany examinees fail the driving test if they open the car door without doing this, even after a good driving test and even at the parking lot of the examination station. The examiner is always the last person getting out of the car.

Oh hehe yes I remember that, in Belgium it's the same.. Guy that had to go in front of me failed because he approached and entered his car from the back. (when parallel parked you have to walk via the front and walk to the door facing traffic). And when getting out pretending you were checking your mirrors and looking over your shoulder to get out, even though you were on an exam-lot populated with immobil cones and posts. :D

would it be easier just post private video on youtube and send insurance co the link to watch it. It is not a court really, so it does not have to be legally correct. Ins co just need to determine if they can defeat the opponent ins co with the evidence. They will contact you if they need to follow up. I had recently accident with teen making left turn out of right lane on 3 lane road. Despite hitting other car in the rear, I got away with no fault, because of Google Maps Satellite overlay of the intersection + police statement clearly placed other driver at fault. I may not be that lucky next time, so I decided to install dash cams in every car I own or will ever own.

Last edited:
would it be easier just post private video on youtube and send insurance co the link to watch it...

Personally I wouldn't do that because I'm not a believer in making my private life public. I'd copy it onto a CD & post it (cue laughter or questions about "what is the post?").

Also, involving people who don't need to be involved is a double edged sword. What if your insurer thinks it's not your fault only then to notice that someone has placed a comment on YouTube which they hadn't thought of claiming you are wholly or partially to blame?

I don't like to put private matters in the public domain by my nature. But that's just me.

I'm currently trying to submit dashcam video as evidence and so far have to say sludgeguts most likely isn't too meticulous or paranoid.
I've emailed it, cut it to reduce the size, re-emailed it, put it on a shared drive, put it on the toob.
all pf these met a response of either too big, broken link, can't get to.
I've put it on CD (not arrived), put it on a cd recorded delivery they claimed it was empty.

I have sent it again after testing it on every type of computer capable of reading a cd i could find, win, linux, mac(ppc & x86), in different formats, along with instruction in text how to play it, and an accompanying letter.
they now admit to having it and am awaiting somone from liability to assess it... fingers crossed.
I was warned that in the uk they will try everything to go 50/50 everybody pays no claims, everybody gets a premium increase, win win for them but honestly didn't believe it.

Do others out there have similar experiences?

Latter in bold is very interesting - makes sense.

Former is consistent with the latter.

Your post is a few months old (I read it because someone replied to the thread yesterday). Did your insurer go for 50/50 liability, and did the video show it was not your fault?

Back