Is mine a fake?

Harold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new here.

Ordered a mini 0801 on Amazon.co.uk (link to seller here) but I'm worried it's fake.
I have watched several videos about this dashcam but mine looks different, and has a different style menu.

It came in this box
IMG_9472.jpg

And looks like this (note it doesn't have white letters on it)
IMG_9473.jpg IMG_9474.jpg IMG_9475.jpg

And it says it has firmware VER201312121905
IMG_9476.jpg IMG_9477.jpg IMG_9478.jpg

Is this a fake camera?

I tried to update the firmware by copying the bin file into the root but the camera didn't give any option to update i.e didn't recognise the files.

Any help much appreciated

Edit: it does actually work though - although I can't seem to remove the KPH speed stamp from the videos.

That's an interesting one ... not an original 0801 but maybe it's replacement?

Eprance have had the genuine one, it could have just been a shipping error, may not have been intentional

So.. it's fake.

What should I do? I mean, it works....so do I complain or just carry on?

If it works to your satisfaction then I'm not sure it matters that much, it could even be better

So.. it's fake.

What should I do? I mean, it works....so do I complain or just carry on?
Clearly it is not what you ordered so if you wish to return it you can and since it was bought via Amazon you should have no difficulty doing so.

As Jokiin says, if it does what you want and you like it then there is no point in returning it.

I would check that it does match the specifications for resolution etc. and produces a decently sharp image before deciding.

Eprance are one of the bigger sellers for the Mini cameras, it does seem odd that they would supply the wrong thing without reason so even if you decide to keep it, I would ask for an explanation and just accept it on a trial basis so that you can still send it back if you change your mind.

The box does say "New Mini 0801", not "Original Mini 0801". I do wonder if they have redefined what a Mini 0801 is!

It does appear to have a proper Mini 0801 base? Ie it's not one of the cheap fakes with a cheap suction mount...

it's not one of the cheap fakes with a cheap suction mount...
It has the proper base, that's right.

I tried it in the car today and the footage is crisp and clear at high res.
The last clip cycle won't play on my computer (I have it on 2 min cycles) but I guess that's because it's not complete?

It has the proper base, that's right.

I tried it in the car today and the footage is crisp and clear at high res.
The last clip cycle won't play on my computer (I have it on 2 min cycles) but I guess that's because it's not complete?
The last clip should play fine, but you must stop recording before removing the card or it doesn't have a chance to close the file properly. That is the same for any dashcam

Look up Registrator Viewer for viewing the clips ;) http://www.registratorviewer.com/download_en.html

Maybe you could post a frame grab from Registrator Viewer for an expert opinion on quality...

Maybe you could post a frame grab from Registrator Viewer for an expert opinion on quality...

thanks, I'm on Mac, so I will try the mac version.
I'll post something here in a bit so you can see

i bought mine from Eprance on amazon last week and it came in a black box. flashes ok

OK
so I have tested it for a week in my car and it doesn't look good.

Half the time I get 'INVALID' files, ones which will not play on either the dashcam or my computer.
The other half of the time the files are fine.

I am using default settings, I haven't changed anything apart from turning sound recording off.
I tried it with and without GPS on, but the same thing happens.

The firmware says 'VER201312121905'

This is what an invalid file looks like...

IMG_9489.jpg

And this is a normal file...
IMG_9490.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I do.

Going to send it back on monday

Just out of interest - where do I buy a real one from?

Just out of interest - where do I buy a real one from?
Normally Eprance is a good option as long as it is via Amazon and not direct from China.

Since you are in the UK, https://joovuu.com/gb/home/106-mini-0803.html is an option, although they don't seem to have a 0801 and the 0803 is currently being replaced by the 0805 so buying an 0803 today would give you one of the last of that model and I guess it is a bit more expensive than you wanted anyway.

Buying direct from China is risky due to the cost of sending it back if there is an issue.

I'm sure there are other options...

Now I'm concerned, I just ordered the 0801 last night on Amazon UK, using the same link as you provided. I expect it to be delivered tomorrow. I hope it is not also a fake.
This is my first venture into dashcams so I a complete noobie to them. Deliberately chose the 0801 over the 0803 because of the overheating problems I've read. I'd be interested if you got this problem resolved with Amazon Harold.

Now I'm concerned, I just ordered the 0801 last night on Amazon UK, using the same link as you provided. I expect it to be delivered tomorrow. I hope it is not also a fake.
This is my first venture into dashcams so I a complete noobie to them. Deliberately chose the 0801 over the 0803 because of the overheating problems I've read. I'd be interested if you got this problem resolved with Amazon Harold.
Hi,

I have returned the unit to Amazon who have provided a full refund.
The camera I recieved filled all the criteria for a 'fake' and recorded 'INVALID' movie files.

It will be interesting to see if you get the same model from the same Amazon seller as I did

got mine delivered Harold, seems to be the real Mcoy according to the comparison photos. Phew!

Back