C3 won't record or connect to computer (SOLVED)

Hi Rock,

Thanks for your reply, I have copied your questions and I have responded to them individually below:

1. Without connection to computer, Power on Camera, to see how it works?
When fault is apparent - C3 switches on, but will not record, as if camera was not connected.

1. Which SD card do you use? it would be class 10, 16gb or 32gb.
SD card is a Transcend Class 10, 32GB

1. Which version of Windows are you using? C3 works for Win 7, so far we did not test on Win 8.
Win 7 Pro, C3 did not have issues with the other camera last week, found all drivers for USB and Webcam automatically, issue appears to be only this camera and cable. When this camera works it connects successfully.
  1. Connect camera to computer by the short data USB cable, and LENS CABLE SHOULD PLUG INTO CAMERA.
Correct - I am an electronics engineer, I used to work in the broadcast field, now work in IT.
  1. Once connected,
    1. if camera does not power on, LED will be orange color for charging till battery got full charged and LED off,
C3 DVR connects as though the Camera is not connected; however this is intermittent, moving the camera cable will disconnect the external drive if it has connected.
    1. if camera power on, LED colour will be solid RED, as we tested win 7, you need to wait for 10 to 30 seconds to see camera is connected, and camera CAN NOT RECORDING WHEN CONNECTED TO COMPUTER.
Correct, camera does not record whilst in this mode; waiting for 20 - 30 seconds will connect DVR as external drive when C3 is working correctly.

Please check your process against the above, to see if any different and keep update.

As stated I have two C3’s, and the problem follows the camera I have with me at the office when I move it from one DVR to the other, I did not have this problem last week with the other camera.

To check cable, you can shake and bend the cable while recording, if recordings all are good, cable should has no problem.

Shaking and bending will cause blue flash frames in the recording, or recording failure, I have had one HTM000.MOV file generated whilst doing this.

Hope this helps . . . Mike

As you have two C3 on hand, and other one works well, that would be easy,

Exchange the lens to connect the recording units, and power on to see what happen.
If the last failed recording unit with new lens still does not work, that would be recording unit issue. please do follow,
  1. Charging Camera by USB cable till the orange LED is off, that takes 1 or 2 hours.
  2. No any connection to other power source, Power on Camera again, to see
    • if red LED blinking and recording start. if so, problem solved.
    • if no any color from LED, the battery got die.
    • if only solid Red Color, please power on and power off few times, to see what happen,
    • if still could not solve the problem, take out SD card from Camera and copy the last FW into SD card, insert SD card into camera and power on Camera to flash FW again. please be sure, the red led blinking for flashing. after FW updated, power on camera to see what happen.
Just try, and keep updated.

@Mike1610 , to double check your issue, I just tested on 10 cameras and found 3 cameras come to solid red LED, no camera found from computer, my computer has Win 7.

Once that happen, long press power button to get camera off, then unplug the USB cable, replug to other USB port on my computer, after 20 to 30 seconds, SD card found from computer.

For this case, if you are using a desk computer, the better plug USB cable at the back of USB port, if one USB port does not work, try other one.
You need to wait for 10 to 30 seconds to see SD card to be found from computer.

Yes, I do. :)

Set up the checking procedure on that.

Hi Rock,

I have now tested both C3 DVR's with the other camera, using all the procedures you suggested above. With the good camera there are no faults or issues, going back and testing using the faulty camera the problem is there.

As you requested, I have tried your process and the C3 will not connect with the faulty camera, nor will it, when its disconnected from the computer, go into record. The process for that is:
  1. power on
  2. press the shutter button to start record
I am able to use the good camera on both DVR's, I can walk around with them and record reliably.
I am unable to do that with the faulty camera.

BTW: the HDMI connectors are identical and look good.

I look forward to your response, both C3's were delivered last week and are brand new.

Cheers . . . Mike

Hi Mike,
If so, you can contact with your Amazon seller for exchange with the fault camera.

BTW, I would like to double confirm, that would help me to learn much,

What happen for below, if still could not solve the problem, take out SD card from Camera and copy the last FW into SD card, insert SD card into camera and power on Camera to flash FW again. please be sure, the red led blinking for flashing. after FW updated, power on camera to see what happen.

What happen after you press power button when red solid color is there, the camera connected to computer?

Thank you,

Rock

Hi Rock,

As I stated before, I am an electronics engineer. The fault is not firmware related, it is a faulty cable. This I have verified by using the second camera with no issue on both C3 DVR's.

Symptoms of the faulty camera lead are:
  1. when running on internal battery the DVR will not go into record mode as it does not see the camera
  2. moving the cable will connect and disconnect the camera to the DVR and allow recording
  3. when the faulty camera and a C3 DVR is connected to a pc the pc will not recognise the C3 storage
  4. moving the camera cable will allow pc the pc to recognise the C3 storage
Given that this is not the first time this has happened as it has occurred to SCRUIT as well with his C3 and you resolved it by replacing his camera.

I would suggest that you look into how the final assembly stage of the camera and cable are conducted, as it could be undue stress on the cable at that stage as the housing is screwed home. A simple way to QA this would be to have a camera test station where the cable is moved around before final boxing. I hope that you find this feedback useful.

I like the C3, I am a member of the Australian motorcycle FJR forum where we have a number of far riders, I am also involved with motorsport as a CAMS marshall, I have a large number of contacts and would like to be able to recommend the C3 to them. But of course this is dependent on this being rectified.

Given your statement, do I need to go through Amazon for a warranty replacement on the camera?

Cheers . . . Mike

Okay I will try Amazon and reference this thread if there are any issues

Hi Rock,

As I stated before, I am an electronics engineer. The fault is not firmware related, it is a faulty cable. This I have verified by using the second camera with no issue on both C3 DVR's.

1. when running on internal battery the DVR will not go into record mode as it does not see the camera
  2. moving the cable will connect and disconnect the camera to the DVR and allow recording
  3. when the faulty camera and a C3 DVR is connected to a pc the pc will not recognise the C3 storage
Given that this is not the first time this has happened as it has occurred to SCRUIT as well with his C3 and you resolved it by replacing his camera.

I would suggest that you look into how the final assembly stage of the camera and cable are conducted, as it could be undue stress on the cable at that stage as the housing is screwed home. A simple way to QA this would be to have a camera test station where the cable is moved around before final boxing. I hope that you find this feedback useful.

I like the C3, I am a member of the Australian motorcycle FJR forum where we have a number of far riders, I am also involved with motorsport as a CAMS marshall, I have a large number of contacts and would like to be able to recommend the C3 to them. But of course this is dependent on this being rectified.

Given your statement, do I need to go through Amazon for a warranty replacement on the camera?

Cheers . . . Mike

Thank you for the information, that helps a lot.

Camera Quality and QC,
  1. I have noted the recent issues, and set up the testing procedure, including the cable that you mentioned.
  2. As we need a time to solve the cameras on resellers' hand, please buy from our website directly, these cameras have been tested at least 24 hours before shipping.
The solution for you,
  1. You can contact your reseller for replacement, or,
  2. You can get refund from your reseller, and purchase from our website, we will do a full test on the new one and ship it to you by free express delivery.

We care our reputation and customers,
  1. Please trust us, that we do full responsibility of quality issue, take care of our customers.
  2. Thanks for people's support, we learned from our mistake, we keep improvement.

Rock

Thanks Rock,

That is good news, I will purchase a 90' camera from your website, and then followup with Amazon.
Do I need to give you an invoice number once I have completed the purchase?

Cheers . . . Mike

Thanks Rock,

That is good news, I will purchase a 90' camera from your website, and then followup with Amazon.
Do I need to give you an invoice number once I have completed the purchase?

Cheers . . . Mike

First I need to domesticate that I have been working on improvement! that is the key.

You can make a notice once you make payment, you also can give me your invoice, I can track.

Hi Rock,

Cheers . . . Mike

Well, I have a C3 that cannot connect to a computer (tried it with 4 different computers and memory cards) and it does not work in cold temperatures. Reported the problem a number of times to the manufacturer, after a couple of reminders he sent me a new cable which did not help with the computer connection problem. After more reminders he promised to replace the camera, I was supposed to send it to a European dealer and get the replacement from him. That was months ago and although I have reminded, again, Rock about the problems I have NOT got any replacement!

So if you are interested in a C3, PLEASE buy it from a respectable reseller in your own country who has to comply to consumer laws, do NOT buy it from the manufacturer like I did!

Hi Rock,

The transaction number is: 6Y887526P73940504

It is for a 90' C3 camera and a number of extra mounts, thanks very much for your help.

I look forward to receiving this.

Cheers . . . Mike

So have you sent it?

Well, it would have helped if I had got the name and address for European dealer but unfortunately I have not.

Thank you for your advice Jokein, very useful as always!

@Rock thinking will need to look into it but it doesn't seem like it should be any problem to get you the contact details you need

Hi Rock,

The transaction number is: 6Y887526P73940504

It is for a 90' C3 camera and a number of extra mounts, thanks very much for your help.

I look forward to receiving this.

Cheers . . . Mike

Hi Mike, get it, and will arrange the delivery accordingly and keep you updated.

Back