Mini 0806 (2nd Batch - Gear Best) - GPS issue, poor wiring [DIY Fixed]

WalterBiH

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mini 0806, Mini 0801, Kaiser Baas RoadRecorder, GS9000 (RIP)
Today I received my 0806 from Gear Best (pre-ordered on 30/01/2015).
At first I was very happy as it was clearly 2nd batch (but still in old packaging ), included tidy clips, screws, latest firmware etc...
GPS locked very quickly (under a minute). After playing with it for a while, I proceeded to install it in the car. This is where problems started. As I'm in Australia, I decided to mount it on a left hand side. This meant that I had to flip the image and rotate camera (this is improvement compared to my 0801). After I did this, GPS was no longer recognized. It wasn't just not locking, but icon was missing and green light was OFF (ie. no hardware detected). I put camera in 0801 mount and still no GPS hardware detected. Then I rotated camera back and GPS icon came ON when camera was in furthest possible position. I tried the same thing in 0806 mount, and it only worked in this single position. Clearly the issue was with the camera.

Not wanting to send it back to Gear Best (high cost from AUS) I bit a bullet and started disassembling (using instructions by @Mtz).
Pic1.jpg
I found that camera was very poorly assembled. The wire was pinched by the camera body and stripped.
Pic2.jpg

However, that wasn't the actual problem. GPS wire came off PCB terminal (RX).
Pic3.jpg
I completely disassembled the camera and re-soldered the wire.
Pic4.jpg Pic5.jpg
Now camera is working again :)
Pic6.jpg
I got very quick GPS lock even indoors (pictures were taken inside the house) and everything works through all positions. It is now installed in the car (alongside trusty 0801) and will be comparing the two after tomorrows drive to/from work.

So if you are having GPS problems (especially after rotating the camera) - beware - wiring might be damaged due to poor wire routing. I thought @Rayman.Chan said that this was fixed on production line by re-training workers?

Last edited:
Great job. For you, me and few others a diy is a pleasant challenge, but I am not sure if average Joe woulk like to undertake this.

Agree - it's not for everyone. I would recommend people send their cams back for replacement as quality issues are still there. But for handy out there, this was a 10 minute job (and that is while taking pictures ;)

The issue was identified, how well it was sorted though is the question, the camera has quite a lot of rotation so working with that is going to be a challenge
Too much of slack wire was in actual holder part (the one with terminals). Now that I've pulled most of wire into camera body, it rotates more freely without tension on wire.

It is now installed in the car (alongside trusty 0801) and will be comparing the two after tomorrows drive to/from work.
Post some frame grabs from that so we can all see the differences, there seem to be quite a few people upgrading or moving their 0801 to the back window now. Richcam posted some frame grabs but his 0806 images have all been low resolution so far and the wider angle lens means the 0806 needs it's extra resolution to win on license plate readability...

Well done on the repair, more people should try that if they are capable of it, the camera does come apart quite easily.

My unit may have the same issue.
I'll have to crack it open and see if that's the case.
DIY seems easy.

Last edited:
I received my Mini 0806 about a week ago. Testing the unit out on my desk indoors before installing it in the car I couldn't get a GPS icon or signal at all. I did have the flip image option turned on since I was planning to install it on the left hand side of the mirror. In the end I installed it on the right hand side of the mirror so I turned off the screen flip option and BAM the GPS works perfectly. So I agree the Mini 0806 has a GPS problem when the screen flip option is turned on.

I was hoping that getting the 2nd batch would solve the quality problems but it seems this camera maker just can't get it right. Now they have sent out another batch of cameras with defects that their customers will have to pay to return to get one that works... well maybe works. Mine is still in the mail, I hope I don't have to return it. Their QA process is really poor.

I was hoping that getting the 2nd batch would solve the quality problems but it seems this camera maker just can't get it right. Now they have sent out another batch of cameras with defects that their customers will have to pay to return to get one that works... well maybe works. Mine is still in the mail, I hope I don't have to return it. Their QA process is really poor.
I'm sure you will tell us if you do have to return it, but please also tell us if it is perfect, I can't tell from the problem reports here if it is 0.1% that have issues or 10%, I suspect it is reasonably low...

Clearly the GPS reception issues have been sorted - any GPS receiver that can pick up the GPS signal inside a building is a very good one! The majority of the focus issues also appear to have been sorted, the only issue left that is being reported multiple times is problems with the internal power&gps cable where it passes through the rotation mechanism, some of them are still being assembled incorrectly and after a few rotations of the camera the cable gets damaged. There are a few other issues been reported but any camera can have an image sensor fail in the first few days of use.

Post some frame grabs from that so we can all see the differences, there seem to be quite a few people upgrading or moving their 0801 to the back window now. Richcam posted some frame grabs but his 0806 images have all been low resolution so far and the wider angle lens means the 0806 needs it's extra resolution to win on license plate readability...

OK, I'm impressed with the Image Quality of Mini 0806 vs 0801 - it's a keeper ;)
Here are some shots taken in dark, stationary, moving and dash reflection - Mini 0806 performed very well! All were taken with CPL filter installed (tweaked for minimal reflection off the dash) and default 2560 x 1080 resolution.

Frame 2015.02.25 05-59-26 (0-03-55.531).jpg Mini 0801 vs Mini 0806 Frame 2015.02.25 05-59-25 (0-03-57.429).jpg
You can clearly see writing on the bus with Mini 0806.

Frame 2015.02.25 16-48-20 (0-05-09.936).jpg Mini 0801 vs Mini 0806 Frame 2015.02.25 16-48-20 (0-05-13.064).jpg

Frame 2015.02.25 17-00-49 (0-17-38.761).jpg Mini 0801 vs Mini 0806 Frame 2015.02.25 17-00-48 (0-17-40.894).jpg

Frame 2015.02.25 17-37-19 (0-54-08.074).jpg Mini 0801 vs Mini 0806 Frame 2015.02.25 17-37-18 (0-54-10.532).jpg

I was very happy with my Mini 0801 (had it for a year now), but Mini 0806 is superior. I'll leave both in a car for few more weeks just to confirm reliability (now that Pic Quality has passed).

The only thing that Mini 0801 beats 0806 in are GPS lock times:
Mini 0801: Morning - 56 sec; Arvo - 22 sec
Mini 0806: Morning - 65 sec; Arvo - 46 sec

Your 0801 is doing a decent job there for it's price and age.

The 0806 images are uploaded at only 1920 wide instead of the 2560 that they were recorded at - I was thinking the 0801 was winning on resolution for a minute! Don't know if you can upload the 0806 images at the original resolution?

The CPL is very worthwhile during the day even if it is a disadvantage at night, but not much of a disadvantage by the look of those images!

Thanks for posting.

The 0806 images are uploaded at only 1920 wide instead of the 2560 that they were recorded at

Bugger - I thought forum would not re-size :(

Take 2 - Here are the originals for 0806 in full glory:

0801 for comparison:

That's better, now we can see the real difference:

Taken from the edge of the image, Mini0806 | Mini 0801

Taxi.jpg

Bus%200806v0801.jpg

Still can't read the taxi's license plate though, and they have both turned the silver top green!

Last edited:
I have the same issue as you Walter, When my camera was brand new, the first time I turned it on I got a GPS lock. Once I installed it in my car and rotated it the GPS quit. Im guessing it pulled the wire off the board. I cant get mine apart though sadly to solder the wire back on.

I have the same issue as you Walter, When my camera was brand new, the first time I turned it on I got a GPS lock. Once I installed it in my car and rotated it the GPS quit. Im guessing it pulled the wire off the board. I cant get mine apart though sadly to solder the wire back on.
Have you followed Mtz's pictures at the bottom of post #1? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hands-on-mini-0806-ambarella-a7la50-dash-camera.8427/

Actually, they are Rayman's images:
3-jpg.10904

Last edited:
I cant get mine apart though sadly to solder the wire back on.

As @Nigel said, just follow those instructions. My ring cap (the one with power button) came off very easily without having to use finger nails. It was enough to squeeze and pull. After that process is fairly straight forward as you remove screws and camera easily comes apart. There are no clips to break or force (like my old GS9000 that I broke pulling apart). Be careful when pulling the ring (secured by 4 screws seen in @Mtz instructions) as that is the part that had my GPS/power cable pinched during factory assembly. Also, there is a small ball bearing and spring that you don't want to lose (used for clicks in cam rotation). It's not heavily loaded and in my case didn't fly off (although I was being careful and pointing down towards the table in case it did).

Once you get to separating two plastic body cylinder shell halves (to access PCBs), just remember to gently unclip and remove flat ribbon cable. You do this by lifting the black clamp and gently disconnecting the the cable. It is connected to the screen that will come off together with the top half of the cylinder. You don't want to damage this!
Pic7.jpg

If in doubt - just send it back for replacement!

Last edited:
and they have both turned the silver top green!
Funny man ;)

Even ignoring horizontal resolution, the detail is clearly much better on mini 0806 for the same vertical 1080. Also absolutely no focus issues on either side of the image. If it weren't for GPS cable damage, it would have been perfect out of the box.

However, if you already have working Mini0801 that you are happy with, it would be hard to justify forking out more money for an upgrade. Especially knowing there are still some manufacturing issues and that price will fall down after the rush upon initial release. I did this because I'll be moving 0801 into my wife's car.
If you don't have a dash cam at all, then Mini 0806 is a good choice, but if on a budget, Mini 0801 at nearly half price is still a pretty good option.

I received my 2nd batch 0806 earlier this week and only today had time to install it.

No GPS.

Sure enough, it was the green wire that had broken away from the Rx solder joint.
Luckily the outer sheath hadn't rubbed and sheared yet, like yours did.

A minor inconvenience and 10 minute job to dismantle and resolder.

Thanks for your guidance WalterBiH.
I would potentially have broken something if I didn't have this thread to follow.

Hopefully subsequent batches won't have this problem.

Last edited:
Back