The days of saying Sandisk cards aren't suited to dashcams are now over

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Or at least that's if you look at the new high endurance card they're launching aimed at 24x7 dashcam usage.

The 64GB card is rated to run 24x7 for 10000 hours (416.67 days) and the 32GB for 5000 hours (208.33) days.

As they're designed for such endurance these should work well in all dashcams and most without parking mode would take years to get to that sort of use.
HighEndurance.png

SanDisk also announced the first microSDXC memory card designed for high-endurance applications. The SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring (HEVM) 64 GB memory card is designed for dash cameras and home video monitoring systems and has the ability to withstand 10,000 hours of full HD video recording. The 32 GB version of the memory card features a 5,000-hour recording threshold.

Memory cards are well suited for vehicle applications. They are resistant to shock, can weather temperature extremes and are waterproof. The HEVM memory cards operate at Class 10 speeds, which is sufficient for the majority of video applications. The HEVM cards have a two-year warranty and are available for $84.99 and $149.99 for the 32 GB and 64 GB capacity points, respectively. HEVM cards will initially only be available through the SanDisk website for U.S. customers.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandisk-ultra-microsd-high-endurance,28657.html

If they have no issues with compatibility then these could be one of the new go to cards for dashcam use as there does seem to be a trend lately of various brands failing when used in dashcams.

Yeah big time, I'm guessing that as they're stating a specific lifespan that will also give them a get out from the ten year limited warranty you get with these cards - i.e. if they read the stats off the card and it says it's over the rated lifespan then technically it's no longer under warranty and they could replace at their discretion. Definitely a decision from the bean counters there :)

The 64GB card is rated to run 24x7 for 10000 hours (416.67 days) and the 32GB for 5000 hours (208.33) days.
At 8 hours for a 64GB card that is 10,000 / 8 = 1,250 write cycles, the Samsung Pro card I have in my mini 0806 is supposed to last for 10,000 cycles and has a 10 year warrantee.

They need to be very cheap to be good value...

I guess the Pro cards are already Samsung's version of this type of card with higher quality memory but give them time and they'll brand a card specifically for dashcams soon as they're getting more popular :)

I guess the Pro cards are already Samsung's version of this type of card with higher quality memory but give them time and they'll brand a card specifically for dashcams soon as they're getting more popular :)
Not sure what the Samsug Evo cards are rated at but I suspect it is about 1,250 write cycles so it is probably the Evo that is the competitor to this Sandisk card. The Pro cards use a different type of flash memory and if you are actually going to wear it out then they are very good value.

Don't know how anyone is going to know when they have used their 10,000 hours, maybe Sandisk have assumed that most people wont have a clue!

Doh..

I didn't know sd cards had a finite nuber of life cycles and thought they went on and on !

my shop bought £15 and ebay bought £11 , 32g kingstons have run nearly seven months now - which is at the 200 day mark...

Doh..

I didn't know sd cards had a finite nuber of life cycles and thought they went on and on !
Usually because the beancounters want them making cheaper and cheaper mate which is where something starts to give - those Kingston's you have are decent cards though and they've always had a decent rep :)

Doh..

my shop bought £15 and ebay bought £11 , 32g kingstons have run nearly seven months now - which is at the 200 day mark...
You can read as many times as you like but writing wears them out. Most cards can be written to at least 1,000 times at each memory location so unless you more than fill the cards every day you will be fine for another couple of years!

I fill them 4.5 times a day !

for nearly 200 days now ...

cameras are doing well too as they havnt been toutched for weeks and I wont have a word said against the two g1wh I have !

There are some interesting specs here:
http://androidforums.com/threads/us...lc-vs-tlc-microsd-card-considerations.895657/

Fundamentally, SLC is 1-bit per memory cell, MLC is 2-bits per cell, TLC is 3-bits per cell.
As bits stored per cell goes up, reliability drops.
As the chip structure shrinks (nanometer), reliability drops.

With SLC cards, each cell can withstand 100,000 write cycles or so; MLC, 3,000 or so; TLC, a mere 500-1,000 cycles!

Barun Electronic’s Gold Flash PLUS (32GB) TLC
Barun Electronic’s Gold Flash PRO (64GB) MLC
Memorette (memento) Expert (64GB) TLC
Memorette (memento) Standard premium (8GB) MLC
Lexar High-Performance UHS-I cards [300x] (64GB) TLC MLC [LSDMI64GBBNL300A]
Kingston Advanced Class 10 UHS-I (64GB) [Also Known As Kingston UltimateX MicroSD] TLC [SDCX10]
Transcend Premium UHS-I [300x] (64GB) TLC [TS64GUSDU1E]
OEM microSD by Samsung (64GB) TLC
For Samsung UHS-I Class 10 (32GB) TLC
Samsung Plus (64GB) TLC [MB-MPCGCA]
Samsung EVO (64GB) TLC [MB-MP64DA]
SanDisk Ultra UHS-I [Old series] (64GB) TLC [SDSDQUA-064G]
SanDisk Ultra UHS-I [2014 Model] (64GB) TLC [SDSDQUAN-064G]
Lexar High-Performance UHS-I 633x MicroSD (64GB) MLC [LSDMI64GBBNL633R]
Kingston CL10 UHS-I 90R/45W MicroSD (64GB) TLC [SDCA10]
Samsung PRO [Old Series] (64GB) TLC [MB-MGCGBA]
Samsung PRO [New 2014 Series] (64GB) MLC [MB-MG64DA]
Sony High-Speed R95 UHS-3 (64GB) MLC [SR64UXA]
PNY Turbo Performance High Speed MicroSD (64GB) MLC [P-SDUX64U190-GE]
SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-3/U3 [2014 Edition] (64GB) TLC [SDSDQXN-064G]
SanDisk Extreme Plus microSDXC UHS-I [2014 Edition] (64GB) TLC [SDSDQX-064G]
Fake SanDisk Ultra UHS-I (64GB 8GB) ??
SanDisk Standard Class 4 (32GB) TLC

As the cards get fragmented over the course of lots of loops you can burn up loads more write cycles and get premature failure.

Interesting the older Samsung Pro cards are TLC and the newer ones MLC so should last longer.

The Lexar 633x card that Niko has recommended are also MLC so I think I shall be taking a look at those when I next need to make a memory card purchase :)

I fill then 4.5 times a day !
In that case I suggest that you start checking that they are working properly fairly regularly!

The Samsung Evo cards are rated for the same 10,000 mating cycles as they call it as the Pro cards.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/memory-storage/memory-card/microsd-card/MB-MP32DA/APC

Oh actually hang on - mating cycles means how many times it can be inserted and ejected - not how many times you can write to the card. They don't quote that figure.
Good marketing trick that one, I think many people fall for it!

Not sure the "500-1,000 cycles" figure is really correct? The cards have spare memory that can be mapped in when errors are detected so can be used for a lot longer than when the first cell fails, the cells fail fairly randomly once they start failing, not a case of them all failing at exactly 1000 write cycles. I suspect those figures don't take into account the self repairing.

What I don't understand is why people find bits of video go missing when they start to fail, why doesn't the error detection flag up an error and the camera stop recording with a "card failure" message? Or is it only the fake cards that carry on pretending to work as they have the error detection switched off? If a proper disk drive fails to write then you know about it and it's impossible to keep using it.

To be honest due to size constraints they don't have that much spare space inside these massive microSD cards which is why they go into self preservation mode when they detect an error.

They probably start losing video as they probably don't have wear levelling unless they're the high endurance or the more expensive cards - the fact they limit the size of the higher end cards seems to suggest that too.

Last edited:
2 year warranty only... vs 10 years for their regular? Super expensive too. I've had a sandisk fail once within half a year. I already got it replaced under warranty. So far I have been using transcend cards (I still have a few sandisk that I use since I have so many cams including the ones in family/friend's cars) but I have not tried samsungs at all.

Are these MLC or SLC based cards?

To be honest they've not said yet so it's anyone's guess - you'd have to assume MLC as you don't tend to see SLC in 64GB sizes.

At this point in time it's anyone's guess!

I still don't trust them I have had soo many fail, I wont touch them again.

just saw this card on amazon, 64gb selling for about $40, which was surprisingly cheap, but then i noticed it's not in stock and rather vague about when it'll be back in stock.

i just had my first ever sd card failure - a sandisk ultra 64gb failed in my cf-100. bad thing is the camera didn't complain about it. i went to pull some footage my wife told me should be there (extreme tailgater and a red light runner that almost hit her) and found that not only were more than half the files corrupt and unreadable, the newest file was over 3 days old... yet we'd been driving her car daily and the dashcam didn't give any indication of a problem. the card is so trashed that i can't format the card in my pc or dashcam, and when i try running h2testw just using the ~6gb free space on the card, it gives me some insanely long number for the ETA, and never actually writes anything to the card. chkdsk complains about a crosslinked file, then stops reading the card and quits. It still has some viewable dashcam footage on the card, but when i try to delete them, it just hangs and stops reading the card - i have to eject/reinsert the card to be able to view a directory listing again.

sandisk's warranty says that for most of their cards, your warranty is void if it was used in a dashcam or other continuously recording device like a TV DVR or security system. I may try to warranty it anyway... maybe i'll get lucky and they'll replace it, and then i'll have a nice big card to use in my phone for music. i sure won't use it in the dashcam anymore... if it dies in only a month's time, that's absolute crap.

the samsung pro 64gb card is selling for about $46 w/ prime shipping, so if they have high write cycle rating, i may go with that one instead.

Last edited:
Back