Newb Looking for Feedback

bumblebee21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All. I did a large amount of research, including reading these forums, and I ultimately decided to buy an 0805. I got the GPS unit with 8GB (which was a surprise when I opened the box) with a 32gb microSD.

I'm generally pretty satisfied, but was looking for feedback. Here is a sample video below. I'm using the 2304×1296 resolution, though I've also tried the 2560×1080 resolution.

The obvious issue I'm having is with dash reflection. I read about getting a filter, which I'm considering. The other main complaint I have is clarity of license plates. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic, but I thought I'd be able to read license plates better. Any thoughts? Would 45FPS (1080P) be an improvement in that regard? I also read about opening up the housing and manually focusing the camera. Is that worth the trouble in my case (not sure if the picture is really out of focus or just lacks clarity)?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The video looks like that there is a loss of focus. And what firmware version you have?

Thanks for the reply, maxim. It came with November 2014 firmware and I upgraded to the latest January 2015 firmware from the firmware repo thread.

Do you think I should try to manually focus it? I bought through Amazon specifically so I could return, if I needed to, so I have that option, as well...

Do you think I should try to manually focus it? I bought through Amazon specifically so I could return, if I needed to, so I have that option, as well...
Depends on how comfortable you are doing so. Also opening it up to do it might not let you return it in the future if something else happens.

Thanks for the reply, maxim. It came with November 2014 firmware and I upgraded to the latest January 2015 firmware from the firmware repo thread.

I think that doing it all yourself is only in the extreme case, because then You lose the warranty. Better make a return of the goods and indicate the problem to the seller, or a partial refund and then choose it the focus (it is absolutely not difficult)

I understood You correctly, you have a recorder with two memory cards?

I think that doing it all yourself is only in the extreme case, because then You lose the warranty. Better make a return of the goods and indicate the problem to the seller, or a partial refund and then choose it the focus (it is absolutely not difficult)

I understood You correctly, you have a recorder with two memory cards?

Yes, I believe it has both an internal 8GB card and I added a 32GB microSD. I currently have it recording to the microSD so that I can easily transfer recordings to my computer. When I ordered it, it didn't say anything about the internal card.

Thanks again for your help.

To me it looks like the left side of your footage is blurred, the right side sharp (look at your video @ 49 secs) - so perhaps more of a poorly mounted lens than just in need of refocussing? If so, dismantling & manual adjustment may not work & will invalidate your warranty. I think this has been reported before?

To me it looks like the left side of your footage is blurred, the right side sharp (look at your video @ 49 secs) - so perhaps more of a poorly mounted lens than just in need of refocussing? If so, dismantling & manual adjustment may not work & will invalidate your warranty. I think this has been reported before?

Yeah, you know, I noticed that, as well, as I re-watched. From everyone's feedback, it sounds like best course of action is to RMA. Thanks, everyone!

The video looks like that there is a loss of focus. And what firmware version you have?

Yes, I agree - focus is out, but don't bother tearing it down - send it back! My first 0805 was awful. Returned it to Amazon, ordered an 0803 and got another 0805! This one is great; images are sharp all across the FOV with great contrast and I use it on Full HD. Yup, I hate the windshield reflections and I'm DIY'ing a CPL from one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00P60EY24 - a complete bargain, and very well made.

Yeah, you know, I noticed that, as well, as I re-watched. From everyone's feedback, it sounds like best course of action is to RMA. Thanks, everyone!

Having the exact same issue with my 0805. Contacted the supplier and they've offered me $8 as an "inconvenience refund". Not thrilled with that, think I'll be shipping it back.

Shame, really was enjoying it. Seems to be an ongoing pain in the ass issue with many of these.

Having the exact same issue with my 0805. Contacted the supplier and they've offered me $8 as an "inconvenience refund". Not thrilled with that, think I'll be shipping it back.

Shame, really was enjoying it. Seems to be an ongoing pain in the ass issue with many of these.

Yeah, real bummer. I actually specifically avoided the 0806, because I thought they would have the bugs better worked out on the 0805.

Yes, I agree - focus is out, but don't bother tearing it down - send it back! My first 0805 was awful. Returned it to Amazon, ordered an 0803 and got another 0805! This one is great; images are sharp all across the FOV with great contrast and I use it on Full HD. Yup, I hate the windshield reflections and I'm DIY'ing a CPL from one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00P60EY24 - a complete bargain, and very well made.

That's brilliant. I didn't think about those iphone filters because I figured the diameter is too small. Can you confirm that they are large enough to fit over the 0805 lens?

you should be wary of inconvenience refunds

That's brilliant. I didn't think about those iphone filters because I figured the diameter is too small. Can you confirm that they are large enough to fit over the 0805 lens?

No, not without a bit of DIY they're not! Basically, you have to cut the screw mount off the back of the filter so it’s a lot of faffing about, but the end result works well. Having said that, the “Heath Robinson” solution from KevBro here is just as good so I’d go with that as I’m sure is just as efficient (and a darn-sight faster to make!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back