Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera - Custom Firmware (Base 1.0.7) - Bitrate Increased to 30Mbps all modes

hello reverend. is it possible to update yi's firmware by downloading the vanilla firmware (or your custom firmware) and then putting it on the memory card's root folder? i want to avoid updating tru app and wifi. can it be done?

Yes you certainly can - if you have a working 0.7 camera all you need to do is copy the full vanilla firmware file to the top level of the memory card and make sure it's called firmware.bin

Then just turn the camera on and you will hear the beeping as it upgrades - make sure it's connected to power when you do this and you should be fine :)

ok thanks! i don't want to brick my camera the first time i try to update it hehe. good to know there are other ways to update the firmware.

Hi there

Have you tried recording in fast motion modes (120 and 240)?
I'm wondering what would be the difference since originally 120fps is 18Mbps and 240 about 13Mbps - would it improve quality and still be stable?

Thanks, OP. I did not even bother with OTA FW upgrade, just used your file (used vanilla for now), took about a minute, upgrade script took care of removing the firmware.bin file and created the DCIM and MISC directories.
OM

Hello guys,

A new official firmware was just released. http://yi-version.qiniudn.com/@/sports/1.0.7YDXJv22_1.0.7_build-20150330113749_b690_i446_s699.bin
It is version 1.0.7

The original changelog says (google translate will be your friend ;-) ) :
1. 修正低功耗模式下连续执行定时拍照失败问题。
2. 修正拍照、录像操作过程中进入文件管理,导致错误触发停止拍照、录像的问题。
3. 修正低功耗模式下首次执行模式切换不成功问题。
4. 修正照片EXIF信息中光圈、焦距等参数。
5. 修正USB_STORAGE属性信息。
6. 修正系统启动后进入U盘模式下依旧可以操作WIFI/模式切换/快门按键。
7. 修正APP上传文件时MD5数据异常问题,完善APP固件升级功能。
8. 修正系统启动时蜂鸣器错误提示升级状态问题。
9. 修正Wi-Fi开启和关闭操作对于自动关机和休眠模式影响。
10. 修正蜂鸣器静音时无法操作查找设备功能。
11. 修正模式切换造成系统异常问题。
12. 更新Wi-Fi固件,解决Wi-Fi热点连接速度慢问题。
13. 更新Wi-Fi驱动,优化连接速度和下载速度。
14. 调整自动关机选项,默认为不关机。
15. 调整图片压缩比,提高图片质量。
16. 添加TV功能,配合APP实现TV开启与关闭。

I've just updated the first post with the new custom 1.0.7 30Mbps firmware as well :)

The 1.0.7 changelog in English shows:
  1. Fixed low power mode under continuous execution time taking pictures failures
  2. Amendment photographs, video operations into the document process management, leading to false triggering stop taking pictures, video question
  3. Fixed low power mode under first unsuccessful execution mode switching problem
  4. Photo EXIF information corrected aperture, focal length and other parameters.
  5. Correction USB_STORAGE attribute information.
  6. After correcting the system to boot into U disk mode can still operate under WIFI / mode switching / shutter button.
  7. When uploading files MD5 data correction APP unusual problems, improve APP firmware upgrade function.
  8. When the buzzer error correction system upgrade status issue .
  9. Correction Wi-Fi turned on and off operation of the automatic shutdown and sleep mode for influence
  10. When corrected buzzer mute function to find the device inoperable.
  11. correction mode switching system abnormalities cause problems.
  12. Wi-Fi firmware update to solve the Wi-Fi hotspot slow connection problems.
  13. Updates Wi-Fi drivers, optimize connection speed and download speed.
  14. adjust the automatic shutdown option, the default is not shut down.
  15. Adjusting the Picture compression ratio, to improve the picture quality
  16. Add TV function, TV with APP to achieve open and close

Last edited:
Thanks guys for translating this text! I nearly ended up taking Chinese quick course because of this.

So I got a notification to update the firmware, and I recorded it again.

So if someone needs a help to upgrade to 1.0.7, here is how to do it.

Big thanks to @reverend and @rockman18 for translating the text.

I credited reverend in the video, not sure if its his Chinese skills or translator, but it was helpful.

The only Chinese I know is the restaurant down the road - you can thank Google Translate for those translation skills :D

Better to update your app from the MIUI forum.

Name two cameras the same name, Genius! I removed the link

I've just updated the first post with the new custom 1.0.7 30Mbps firmware as well :)
For some reason the tweaked app from MIUI forums is not picking up the available update. I used the sd card method again..
OM

Please help. I downloaded the chinese and the english version of mi app . However I get parsing error . Using LG-VU P895 Android ICS 4.0.4
I tried linkineyes from android but keep crashing. Any help is very much appreciated

Hi

I noticed that something is off (at least in my case). On both versions of the modded firmware I can't get live feed - only first frame and then the feed freezes. I can change settings and record in 30Mbps (with the exception of 240fps mode - still 13Mbsp) but without live preview on my android-based devices. With the original firmware no problems.

@Budi Lesmana - to be honest a parsing error sounds like an issue with your phone - I've just looked and the app for these cameras requires Android 4.1+ so I guess you need to try and find an upgraded ROM?

@Aasdert it's probably struggling to cope with live view with the higher bitrate - they do keep upgrading the WiFi driver with each release but 30Mbps may be too much for the connection, especially as distance increases.

I just tend to use Live View to line things up and then I turn WiFi off so I maximise battery life.

@ObviousMan I'm not sure if it can take up to a day to auto download - I find it quicker to do it over the microSD card anyway when a new one comes out - I've never been a big fan of OTA updates - not even on iPhone :)

Hi

Is it 'LiveView™' app for Android?
Can it be used with Xiaomi and Android 4.2?
Btw, thanks for fast reply (so does that mean that you as well can not use live preview with the stock app for camera?)

I flashed the custom 1.07 firmware and I think I have constant clicking noise on my videos now. It doesnt happen on vanilla 1.07. Any thoughts ?

I flashed the custom 1.07 firmware and I think I have constant clicking noise on my videos now. It doesnt happen on vanilla 1.07. Any thoughts ?
Try factory reset and then update one more time. After this tell Us if it fixed the problem.

Hello, I'm new here and need help with my Yi :)

I followed these steps:
1. Download the file above from Mega and then rename it to firmware.bin / DONE (fw 1.0.7)
2. Power off the Yi Sports Camera / DONE
3. Copy this file to the top level folder / root of a microSD card and then place that into your Yi Sports Camera / DONE
4. Connect the Yi camera to a power source that is turned on (very important - if the camera dies during this process you have got a dead Yi!!) / DONE
5. Turn on the Yi / DONE
6. You will now hear a constant beeping for around a minute - after this the red light will flash and the camera will turn off. / PROBLEM

At step 5 I connected the camera to power source - red light is on (charging), then I followed step 6 and nothing happened - no red light with beep sound for about 1 minute.

After that I tried to unplugged the camera from power source and try to turn on the camera but the camera is still turned on and I can't turn it off - still blue light.

I can't turn on hotspot to pair camera with phone.

I tried to put out the microsd card and check the firmware.bin file and I realized that theres a few new files:
yi.png

or here (if the picture above doesnt work): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xlbkc5pgmp5vla/yi.png?dl=0

Can you please help me to solve this problem? I love my camera and have it only for a 2 weeks ...

Thank you :)

Back