Why do all the ebay seller say the 0805 supports up to 32gb memory cards?

tooshy

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Like the title says, all the sellers on ebay claim that the 0805 mini only supports memory cards up to 32gb.
The review here and the comparison table shows that it can go up to 128gb.

Are these knockoffs and that's why they don't support larger cards or am I missing something?

Like the title says, all the sellers on ebay claim that the 0805 mini only supports memory cards up to 32gb.

Are these knockoffs and that's why they don't support larger cards or am I missing something?
Not having tried it, but apparently if you reformat the card to FAT32 yes, you can use a larger card than 32gb-begs the question why would you need to use a larger card anyway?

....... if you reformat the card to FAT32 yes, you can use a larger card than 32gb
What is the default format? What is the difference if it is FAT/FAT32/NTFC ?

they can format 32GB cards in the camera, larger cards they can't, if you format using a 3rd party program you can use them but they are not fully supported as such

My 0805 runs a 64gb card - and the ebay advertiser advertised this.

My experience shows that if you use a 64gb card no formatting is required as the card works in the 0805 straight out of the box. This is based on using two new 64gb cards in my 0805. No need to first format the card.

Garry

My experience shows that if you use a 64gb card no formatting is required as the card works in the 0805 straight out of the box. This is based on using two new 64gb cards in my 0805. No need to first format the card.

Garry

it's firmware dependent, it's not a hardware limitation

Garry

What FW are you running, Garry - 20150115?

My unit runs the FW that it came with - FW20141211 v1.0

My unit runs the FW that it came with - FW20141211 v1.0
Then I presume all the units running FW20141211 v1.0 should be able to run 64gb without a problem. Thanks for that Garry..

maybe off topic but I have a spare one in the drawer and wanna save some money if possible.

Warning: Only 15253 of 15254 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 13.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

if I record in 1080p 45fps, is the speed of my card good enough for that?
how long can a 16GB card record?

Last edited:
maybe off topic but I have a spare one in the drawer and wanna save some money if possible.

Warning: Only 15253 of 15254 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 13.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

if I record in 1080p 45fps, is the speed of my card good enough for that?
how long can a 16GB card record?

You don't say what Class you card is, but I use a Class 6 32GB card and have no problems. My card is holding 5h.31m at 1080p (but not at 45fps) and includes all the GPS data too, so you should get approx half this I'd guess, but less of course at 45fps. As it overwrites automatically, I'd guess you'll be fine with it.

You don't say what Class you card is, but I use a Class 6 32GB card and have no problems. My card is holding 5h.31m at 1080p (but not at 45fps) and includes all the GPS data too, so you should get approx half this I'd guess, but less of course at 45fps. As it overwrites automatically, I'd guess you'll be fine with it.
Hi, I don't know what class it is that's why I am including the speed test data.
I think 2 and half hour serves my need!

Thanks

It's a licensing issue... SD cards above 32GB use exFAT file system, for which Microsoft owns the intellectual rights for. Obviously many manufacturers are unwilling to pay Microsoft or try their luck to openly support exFAT without paying... That's why they don't advertise supporting cards over 32GB, even if they do support them "secretly".

Nah that's not it.
I have a Blackvue and it works with 64gb cards, but you just need to format it to fat32

It's a licensing issue... SD cards above 32GB use exFAT file system, for which Microsoft owns the intellectual rights for. Obviously many manufacturers are unwilling to pay Microsoft or try their luck to openly support exFAT without paying... That's why they don't advertise supporting cards over 32GB, even if they do support them "secretly".
It's not actually Microsoft, it is the SD Association that has defined that in order to use the SD name and SD logo for 64GB and above you must support the exFAT file system. When the 0805 was released it didn't support exFAT so couldn't claim to support 64GB SD cards and they haven't redone the advertising for cameras with newer firmware since that wouldn't encourage people to spend a little more for the 0806 instead. The 0806 did support exFAT at release so does claim 2x 128GB support.

It's a licensing issue... SD cards above 32GB use exFAT file system, for which Microsoft owns the intellectual rights for. Obviously many manufacturers are unwilling to pay Microsoft or try their luck to openly support exFAT without paying... even if they do support them "secretly".

correct

Last edited:
Not having tried it, but apparently if you reformat the card to FAT32 yes, you can use a larger card than 32gb-begs the question why would you need to use a larger card anyway?
I drive for a living, just over 9 hours per day. The cam in my vehicle is a mobius with a 64gig card which gives me around 12 hours' footage.
If there is an incident at or near the start of the day that I wish to upload to YT (or a complaint from someone whereby I may need to prove to my boss that I wasn't to blame) then I will need the files on the card when I get home at the end of the day.
I also have a mobius in my car which also has a 64gig card. As I only use the car for short journeys, the 64 gig lasts a week - but also great for when I go on holiday. Again, an incident near the start of my journey should still be on the card when I arrive at my destination.
Using a smaller card risks the incident being written over.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CrzRsn Mini 0805 16
Back