C lens going out of focus?

i definitely have the focus shift problem
"luckily" it gets better when heated
here is a proper steady test

hopefully banggood will do something about it
i just sent them polite e-mail provided with raw video and sample images just as @map did :D

Your test is interesting because the camera is not in a hot car on a sunny day and therefore the problem seems to appear even when the temperature changes are not so extreme.

pssst, dont tell anyone i made it a little bit extreme, cam has been in the fridge(in a plastic bag) for 10 minutes at 3-4°c and then ~10 minutes on ~20°c and then i helped it a little bit with the hair dryer :D just to speed up the process a little bit, so the video isnt too long/big :D

Hah! You know, it would have been a good idea to mention this when you presented your "test". It is otherwise very misleading to anyone who is trying to make sense of this issue.

I think it's due to condensation effect on the lens in this case.

I just did another real world test in a very hot environment and didn't see any focus shift. The Mobius and Lens were sitting in a hot car all day and to exaggerate conditions I turned on the defroster on high heat. My results are here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-c-lens-impressions-and-video.10625/#post-136488.

The focus from my Mobius C is not affected by heat that I see. Should we start a poll to see how many people are affected and where they purchased their cameras? So far only 3 have reported the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did another real world test in a very hot environment and didn't see any focus shift. The Mobius and Lens were sitting in a hot car all day and to exaggerate conditions I turned on the defroster on high heat. My results are here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-c-lens-impressions-and-video.10625/#post-136488.

The focus from my GearBest Mobius C is not affected by heat that I see. Should we start a poll to see how many people are affected and where they purchased their cameras? So far only 3 have reported the problem.
I suggested in another thread, that we start a new thread with a table or poll so we can keep track of how many people are having what problems with the C lens.

I'm going to guess that there is possibly quite a few people experiencing issues in the wider community if the developer has released a replacement module.

If it looks the same every day why not just use real footage?
because with the normal driving footage there will be complaints/excuses that it is from the sun glare or you cannot compare different sights, etc.
ill redo it, this time with the "natural" 5°c inside the stationary car
i just have to wake up early, park the car pointed at distant objects(trees if possible) and leave it for half an hour :D

btw heree are some "real" samples already https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/c-lens-going-out-of-focus.10208/#post-129388

I just did another real world test in a very hot environment and didn't see any focus shift. The Mobius and Lens were sitting in a hot car all day and to exaggerate conditions I turned on the defroster on high heat. My results are here
it might have something to do with the initial outside temperature, problem occurs with lower temperatures 5-10°c and cold(just started, not heated up) camera

I suggested in another thread, that we start a new thread with a table or poll so we can keep track of how many people are having what problems with the C lens.

I'm going to guess that there is possibly quite a few people experiencing issues in the wider community if the developer has released a replacement module.

The replacement module may be mostly to allow a cable change without any image issues being involved.

lol i knew someone would say this, i shouldnt have told you for the fridge, i dont know if its a joke or not, but it is not condensation for sure.
i only put it in the fridge for a short while because it was in the house at normal temperature, and not in the car at 5-10°c, it looks the same every day when i start the car/camera for the first time at the outside colder temperatures

What are the usual dew points in your area ( I think is ~4c in your area) ?

Here is a dew point calculator ... http://www.dpcalc.org/ .

What are the usual dew points in your area ( I think is ~4c in your area) ?

Here is a dew point calculator ... http://www.dpcalc.org/ .
this is the situation at the moment
10°c 43%RH -2 DP

another example, cam has been sitting in the car in the garage(probably warmer then the outside 10°c) whole night, i pulled the car out and started recording, no extra cooling/heating or anything, heres the result

need more ? :D

happy easter btw :D

Last edited:
Are you going to live with this problem or get it replaced?

According to the developer only a very small percentage of the new lens modules have the focus issue which can occur if the rear metal base plate warps due to heat. I don't know why this only happens in some modules and not in others. Maybe manufacturing tolerances? The new lens module has a slightly thicker metal plate which should eliminate the problem altogether.
The developer is a perfectionist, so even 3 people experiencing focus problems is three too many. It seems he addressed the problem very quickly.

According to the developer only a very small percentage of the new lens modules have the focus issue which can occur if the rear metal base plate warps due to heat. I don't know why this only happens in some modules and not in others. Maybe manufacturing tolerances? The new lens module has a slightly thicker metal plate which should eliminate the problem altogether.
The developer is a perfectionist, so even 3 people experiencing focus problems is three too many. It seems he addressed the problem very quickly.

It's comforting to know the "focus" issue is addressed and rectified. Is there anyway to know if the unit on the market now have the thicker metal plate on the lens module? Like after certain serial number or manufacturing date? Asking seller will be futile for sure.

Are you going to live with this problem or get it replaced?
i am hoping to get replacement lens as member map did(or is getting, its on the way)
only couple of problems might be that i waited for a while to send them email about it and i dont have the package anymore, but i did ask earlier in the feedback section about that and their reply was to try to refocus manually(pointless) and an apology with a promise to contact manufacturer about that :D
although sorry doesnt do much for me and my blurry recordings

if i dont get replacement, ill have to live with it, what else can i do, 30$ for another lens is not negligible, especially when you already spent 80-90$ and expect to have a working product

Last edited:
To those who are going to receive a new version of the C lens and possibly the new case, would you please post some shots of the new design case, as I'm interested to see how it differs from the V3 case.

Cheers Guys.

My new C lens module I just ordered (came with a new case with wider slot for C lens to fit) is out of focus on the left side out of the box. Here is a picture of the old case (bottom) and new "C" case (top). I will attempt to re-focus the lens, but it being out of focus at normal 70 degree weather is disturbing.

Mobius Old n New Crop.jpg

I knew the developer was a perfectionist from your previous comments, but I'm still surprised to hear this.

Most companies I've dealt with would simply swap the lens module over rather than try to fix the problem if it was a very small percentage.

The past has shown that the Mobius team is quick to make things right. It's one reason that camera has stood the test of time. Some of us are long term users and have seen a lot of upgrades in the last year and a half.

Last edited:
I knew the developer was a perfectionist from your previous comments, but I'm still surprised to hear this.

Most companies I've dealt with would simply swap the lens module over rather than try to fix the problem if it was a very small percentage.
I know the developer likes to have small batch runs, just in case something like this happens. It may cost a little more, but it pays off quickly. I'm not aware of any method to identify if the module in question is effected or not. Like I posted earlier, it's most likely due to manufacturing tolerances and didn't show up in any beta testing.

To those who are going to receive a new version of the C lens and possibly the new case, would you please post some shots of the new design case, as I'm interested to see how it differs from the V3 case.

Cheers Guys.
Is a new version coming out? Did I miss something?
How do we get the replacements? Or have to pay for the new case and lens module?

Back