Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Thank you, I successfully bypassed Gatekeeper, got Mobius manager, clicked on what I think are the appropriate boxes, clicked on blue "Load Config" box in "Basic Sett.", and nothing happened . Mobius manager is frozen, load box is still blue, camera is sitting here w/ yellow light on. no virtual box or Mobius on desktop. Any suggestion would me much appreciated.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here but I have a hunch. Do you have firmware version 2.33 installed on your Mobius? Since there are two versions of MobiusManager available you need to make sure you are using the version that corresponds with the firmware version you have installed in your camera.

MobiusManager App is for Mobius firmware versions 1.4 to 1.7. Click HERE to download this version.

MobiusManagerV2 App is for Mobius firmware versions 2.10 to 2.33. Click HERE to download this version.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem.

Last edited:
Thanks again. Dashmellow. I had V2 before, no idea what firmware is on the Mobius, downloaded the MM App, clicked on the options, when I hit Load Config a window opens titled "Open" showing a list of documents. Actually same thing happened w V2. No file on desktop. Am I supposed to open a document from the list in the new window? Thanks.

Thanks again. Dashmellow. I had V2 before, no idea what firmware is on the Mobius, downloaded the MM App, clicked on the options, when I hit Load Config a window opens titled "Open" showing a list of documents. Actually same thing happened w V2. No file on desktop. Am I supposed to open a document from the list in the new window? Thanks.
I'm not exactly sure what is going on here but I have a hunch. Do you have firmware version 2.33 installed on your Mobius? Since there are two versions of MobiusManager available you need to make sure you are using the version that corresponds with the firmware version you have installed in your camera.

MobiusManager App is for Mobius firmware versions 1.4 to 1.7. Click HERE to download this version.

MobiusManagerV2 App is for Mobius firmware versions 2.10 to 2.33. Click HERE to download this version.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem.

Thanks again Dashmellow, unfortunately still mystified I tried again with V2, configured it, pressed "Load Config." in "Basic Sett" box, button turned blue, computer opened a window titled "Open" with a list of my documents. Don't know what to do from there. One new fact: Appeared on my desktop an empty window titled "unknown-1-3" that I can write or copy something to. Don't know what to copy to it. I looked at p. 86, if that has my answers I didn't recognize them. I also asked Mobius-Actioncam.com what version of firmware I have, bought camera Oct. '14, no answer yet.

Thanks again Dashmellow, unfortunately still mystified I tried again with V2, configured it, pressed "Load Config." in "Basic Sett" box, button turned blue, computer opened a window titled "Open" with a list of my documents. Don't know what to do from there. One new fact: Appeared on my desktop an empty window titled "unknown-1-3" that I can write or copy something to. Don't know what to copy to it. I looked at p. 86, if that has my answers I didn't recognize them. I also asked Mobius-Actioncam.com what version of firmware I have, bought camera Oct. '14, no answer yet.

Further info--when I click on the "Open" window, somehow I get in the list of documents "Untitled DVD" which turns blue as does the "Open" button, which I click but that makes appear the circling pinwheel of death which never stops so I have to force quit and start over which makes the same cycle repeat.

You first need to copy the firmware from the Mobius onto the SD card, you do this by holding down the 'Mode' and 'Power' buttons at the same time till you see the LED flash red 3 times which will occur in approx 10 seconds.

mobius-action-camera-copy-firmware-buttons.jpg

Switch off the Mobius and eject the card, then place the card in your Mac till the folder is displayed on the desktop. Now open the folder and look for the file FWTLCAM.BIN

Open up the Mobius Manager for the Mac and either drag the file FWTLCAM.BIN across from the open folder to the top of the Mobius Manager screen or select 'Load Config' and select the file from the same folder. At this point it will load the file from your Mobius rather than the default settings as shown below.

mobius-actioncam-configuration.jpg

Make your changes to the settings in the Mobius ActionCam app to suit your country and choices, then click on 'Save Config' and the changes will be saved to the SD card.

Now eject the SD card from your Mac and place back into the Mobius camera. Now whilst the Mobius camera is still switched off press both the 'Mode' button and the 'Power' button till you see the LED flash red three times which lets you know that the updated config file has been uploaded onto the camera. This should take approx 10 seconds.

That's it...

Want to update the firmware on your Mobius to the latest version is much the same as above.

If you want to update the firmware then download the latest version from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=7557923&d=1423584727 (as of 19 April 2015) then unzip it on the Desktop by double-clicking on the zip folder to reveal a folder named 'Mobius FW v2.33', opened the folder which revealed two files, one is the release notes in a .txt format which provide instruction on use, and the other file is the important one, namely the FWTLCAM.BIN - leave this folder open on the desktop so that you can drag the FWTLCAM.BIN file out later on.

Have to say it's a pretty easy process but if you've never done it before it can see quite daunting, I'm intending to upload a video onto Youtube to guide new users through this process.

Am a newbie with the Mobius so probably appreciate more how daunting these tasks can seem when actually they are pretty easy.

I'm actually very pleased with the Mobius, it's well built, reliable and the video quality is excellent, plus most of the more knowledgeable guys on here have been fantastic with answering my questions.

seer7y7, I assume you have formatted the SD card before you inserted it into the Mobius, I tend to format in FAT32 using the Disk Utility app on the Mac, just select the correct drive to erase, as in the SD card you ejected from the Mobius, and format MS-DOS (FAT) and remember to change the name to what it was previously.

disk-utility-erase.jpg

seer7y7, I assume you have formatted the SD card before you inserted it into the Mobius, I tend to format in FAT32 using the Disk Utility app on the Mac, just select the correct drive to erase, as in the SD card you ejected from the Mobius, and format MS-DOS (FAT) and remember to change the name to what it was previously.

View attachment 12994

OK, thanks very much again. I seem to have plugged in the camera correctly this time, because no-name appeared on my desktop, and when I tied to open it I found out my firmware is too old for V2, so I'll go through updating the firmware. First I'll format or reformat the card, then I'll download latest firmware. Then I'll try to do it step-b-step as you say. I greatly appreciate it.

OK, thanks very much again. I seem to have plugged in the camera correctly this time, because no-name appeared on my desktop, and when I tied to open it I found out my firmware is too old for V2, so I'll go through updating the firmware. First I'll format or reformat the card, then I'll download latest firmware. Then I'll try to do it step-b-step as you say. I greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like you're gaining on it! Almost there..... :)

I checked, the card is already MS-DOS (FAT32), so am I correct that I don't need to reformat? Thanks.

I checked, the card is already MS-DOS (FAT32), so am I correct that I don't need to reformat? Thanks.

Probably OK but it only takes a few seconds to format MS-DOS (FAT32) using Disk Utility on the Mac.

Once you have downloaded and unzipped the new firmware file onto the desktop you can open up the MobiusManager2 app.

Insert the formatted SD card into your Mac and drag the new firmware file FWTLCAM.BIN out of the downloaded folder onto the MobiusManager2 screen, or alternatively click on 'load config' in the lower menu bar and select the file to load it.

Once you have copied the file onto the SD card you can eject the card from your mac and insert it into the Mobius camera, then press the 'M' and 'Power' buttons at the same time till the LED flashes red three times which should only take a few seconds to carry out.

Your Mobius camera has now been updated with the latest firmware and is ready to start recording whenever you are ready...

After waiting so long for the Mobius "C" I ordered from Banggood to arrive that I thought it just might never show up it arrived on Saturday and I've been putting it through its paces.

I haven't been able to determine if it has any heat related focus issues as yet but compared to my other Mobi I was not happy with the apparent mechanical focus of the lens as delivered to me. I decided to do a standard manual focus adjust using the camera in web cam mode on my computer monitor so that I can be satisfied the focus is as sharp as possible before I do any further testing.

Immediately, I ran into the same problem others have reported here that once you loosen the hex set screw and try to turn the lens it just won't hardly budge. It takes quite a lot of force holding the lens between the thumb and the forefinger to twist the lens at all. The best I could determine was that the threads were not stripped or damaged and the set screw was not over-tightened, it's just a pretty tight fit. It seemed I could sort of twist to focus the lens this way but now my hand was in front of the lens so that I couldn't see anything on my monitor to focus on. Hmm, so what to do?

I know.....Pliers!....that's it! No wait, wait!.......that could really do a number on this thing. So after about 15 minutes of rummaging through various drawers, boxes and shelves in my studio, office, workshop, basement and kitchen I finally found exactly what I was looking for. It was the ribbed rubber insert from a handlebar type camera mount. It fit the mouth of the pliers perfectly without modification and it did an excellent job of securely, firmly and safely twisting the Mobius C lens for focusing. You know, it's a funny thing around here, if I dig deep enough I pretty much always come up with that obscure part I'm looking for to continue whatever harebrained scheme I'm into at the moment. This time I couldn't have found a more perfect part for the purpose if I had spent all day searching for the right thing online.

Anyway, the lens threads seem fine BTW and they loosened up a bit as I worked the focus back and forth. So far I am not a big fan of these composite FRP lens mounts but I can report that I am much happier now with the focus on my new Mobius C.

If you try anything like this just remember to be gentle and don't force anything......Well, maybe just a little. ;)

pliers1.jpg

pliers2.jpg

Last edited:
You know, it's a funny thing around here, if I dig deep enough I pretty much always come up with whatever obscure part I'm looking for to continue whatever harebrained scheme I'm into at the moment.

that's a sign of age, you collect odd stuff over the years

that's a sign of age, you collect odd stuff over the years

Hah! It's so true! And I've lived and worked in this house, barn and studio on this sizable property for more than thirty years, so I've amassed quite a collection of "stuff".

Last edited:
Hah! It's so true! And I've lived and worked in this house, barn, studio on this sizable property for more than thirty years, so I've amassed quite a collection of "stuff".

I'm the same, have quite an eclectic collection amassed over the years

I'm the same, have quite an eclectic collection amassed over the years

I have obscure parts and random stuff that I've kept for decades that I saved because, "I just might need this one day"..........and then sure enough after literally gathering dust for decades, there it is and I don't know what I would have done without it. :)
I should put it in my will that I'm to be buried with all this junk in case I need something in the afterlife.......like the Pharaohs! :D

Last edited:
Probably OK but it only takes a few seconds to format MS-DOS (FAT32) using Disk Utility on the Mac.

Once you have downloaded and unzipped the new firmware file onto the desktop you can open up the MobiusManager2 app.

Insert the formatted SD card into your Mac and drag the new firmware file FWTLCAM.BIN out of the downloaded folder onto the MobiusManager2 screen, or alternatively click on 'load config' in the lower menu bar and select the file to load it.

Once you have copied the file onto the SD card you can eject the card from your mac and insert it into the Mobius camera, then press the 'M' and 'Power' buttons at the same time till the LED flashes red three times which should only take a few seconds to carry out.

Your Mobius camera has now been updated with the latest firmware and is ready to start recording whenever you are ready...

Your explanation is the most comprehensible I've seen, potentially help a lot of people. Tomorrow I'll get to buy a USB plug-in mini SD card slot for my MacBook Pro, then I can proceed.
Thanks much.

Your explanation is the most comprehensible I've seen, potentially help a lot of people. Tomorrow I'll get to buy a USB plug-in mini SD card slot for my MacBook Pro, then I can proceed.
Thanks much.

No worries, am pleased I can help :)

As for your comment about buying a USB plug-in for the SD card slot on your MacBook, you might not have to bother with that purchase because all the micro SD cards that I've purchased have come with a micro SD card adapter which you plug the micro SD card into, then insert that into the SD slot on your Mac as shown below:

And please note I'm using a 128GB card in the Mobius and not the 32GB card that I had to hand when I took the pics, and apologies for the poor quality, my camera battery packed up as I went to take the pics so had to use an old iPhone!

micro-sd-card-adapter-1.jpg
micro-sd-card-adapter-2.jpg
kingston-32gb-micro-sd-card-and-adapter.jpg

Hi Guys,

Not sure if it was in this thread, but I read on here that a few guys had mentioned problems with the Mobius not going into auto recording when starting up the engine. I have the same problem, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't and I have to turn on the camera by hand, is there anymore info on this problem or any news of a possible firmware fix?

This isn't much of an issue re the front camera, but I don't want to have to keep getting out of the car and turning on the rear camera each time it doesn't auto start.

mine was a defective camera. swapped it out along with the memory card for a new one and it works fine now.

Hi Guys,

Not sure if it was in this thread, but I read on here that a few guys had mentioned problems with the Mobius not going into auto recording when starting up the engine. I have the same problem, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't and I have to turn on the camera by hand, is there anymore info on this problem or any news of a possible firmware fix?

This isn't much of an issue re the front camera, but I don't want to have to keep getting out of the car and turning on the rear camera each time it doesn't auto start.
I could verify this with my "Startup Engine" simulator but I would need to know your exact (within a few milliseconds) voltage timings. To obtain these figures you would have to connect a multimeter to your car's USB output, wired in parallel to the Mobius, and then video the display. I'm interested in the figures when the Mobius doesn't start as expected. Depending on the timing a firmware fix may be possible or may not be possible with the current hardware. It would be best to make a 'Y' USB junction taking one pair of wires to a mini USB plug to the Mobius and the other parallel pair of wires to the multimeter. If you have no experience in these types of measurements then don't attempt the mod. You risk destroying your camera if you short some pins or incorrectly connect the camera/multimeter.

Back