Let's Talk Copyrighted Music

You cannot compare photos and music like that, if you hold a new cd of Taylor Swift and make video of it nobody cares.
You'd probably get loads of views from blokes using it to knock one out over though!

I don't think it's the case here....
I can't speak to that as I'm only familar with U.S. laws. (I also do a bit of photography so am a bit more knowledgable than the average 'Joe Six-Pack' when it comes to this issue - but not an expert by any means.)

...Also, don't forget that many of these copyrights are bought by other companies.....
Makes no difference - the new copyright holder assumes the legal responsibilities and the original holder is out of the picture (pun not intended). ;)

...The problem is how these rules are applied, see my example:
Someone took a picture about something else, and by simple accident @Sabes's bike (for example) was in that picture. That picture was a success all over the world and made a lot of money. Even if the bike wasn't the main subject of that picture, @Sabes considers it's normal to share the benefits.
My example fits perfectly @Vio's problem with Youtube (probably excepting the money and the success :p).
And this is why the U.S. has as many lawyers as we do and the courts are way too busy with nonsensical cases....

You cannot compare photos and music like that, if you hold a new cd of Taylor Swift and make video of it nobody cares.
Actually that would depend on how you're using the video. If it was being used for commercial purposes, whatever that might be, I can see where there is a basis for at least two or three actions: 1) the overall CD design itself is copyrighted, 2) the photography/artwork on the CD is copyrighted and, 3) if the CD contains a picture or drawing of Taylor Swift it would be an unauthorized use of her image which is actionable. Any one of these could be the basis for legal action.

Again, this is why the U.S. has as many lawyers as we do... :(

I also do a bit of photography so am a bit more knowledgable than the average 'Joe Six-Pack' when it comes to this issue - but not an expert by any means.
As I wrote in my previous message, @Vio's problem is different. I do not question your knowledge about the laws in U.S., but keep in mind that there is no such think as an absolute law. The laws are created and modified by the state (which is in fact a group of selected people, and theoretically should represents the citizens ...but that's another story). When the laws aren't created for, and don't answer to the needs of the majority, then, these laws must be changed.
In our case, a song which may appear in @Vio's recordings is simply coincidental. At that specific moment, that song was publicly aired.
If @Vio would have added by his choice a specific song to make his recordings more entertaining then it's another story.
Makes no difference
I think you're not a 3 years old :D. The money makes the difference ...a lot of money.

Even though it has no connection with the copyright, here a funny (and sad in the same time) example of strong lobby:

Last edited:
Before I go any further I just want to say that, in my mind at least, @Vio's case is what I consider fair use - and if I were a judge I would rule that way.

The point I was trying to make is that copyright (and trademark) holders have to be diligent about protecting their intellectual property to prevent the scenarios I described above. At times we may not agree with their efforts if it's counter to what we want to do but it's their right, and obligation, to do it.

...When the laws aren't created for, and don't answer to the needs of the majority, then, these laws must be changed....
I'll disagree with you on this one in that the law(s) need to protect the rights of all, not the needs of the majority. History has shown time and time again minorities being subjugated/oppressed by the majority. This is not to say that the minority should have greater rights and privileges, just not less. However, this subject is best left to another forum as it's well outside the purpose of this site and, as such, is the last I will say on the matter.

The money makes the difference ...a lot of money.
If what you're saying is the corporations have more money to try to protect their interests I agree.

I only had this copyright problem once, with a Bob Dylan song that was playing on the radio and was audible in the non-sped up parts of the video. I received the copyright infringement notice before I made the video public, so I took the audio out of the video, gave it a "treatment" with Sound Forge to make the song inconspicuous without changing the rest of the audio, mixed it again with the video, re-uploaded it and bye-bye copyright BS!

One good thing about living in a small country is that 80% of the music that plays on the radio station I usually listen to is from internationally unknown portuguese bands/artists and no matter how audible it is or how long it plays in the video, YT never detects any "infringement". :D

Last edited:
YouTube's music matching Claim ID algorithms are buggy. I have several copyright notices on my videos right now pertaining to sound bytes I am using from Apple's Final Cut Pro X but the claim isn't coming from Apple, but from Orchard Music. I listened to their version and it was way off from Apple's.

I was just about to type that i had youtube warn me of me using copyright music on my video ( Hendrix playing in the backkgroud )
I dident do anything and as i recall the sound was still there for a good while, but i just took a look at that video now, and youtube have now muted it ( uploaded october 3 - 2013 )

It dont bother me too much as i since then have the microfone disabled on my dashcams, first of all to spare you guys from my foul language and poor singing voice & and not to forget i have my music so loud most dashcam microfones overload.
And second for the copyright issue, so if i have a longer clip i normally just glue some of the music youtube offer to the video.
Shorter videos i just keep soundless, and same with long clips > 5 min as youtube only offer 1 tune to each video and thats not enuff for a 10 - 20 min long video.

Some videos on youtube seem to be okay with the music attached to them, even if its pretty nwe popular music and the videomaker clearly isent a pro.

Result. After my counter-notification the video's been put back up - with no content ID, no ads, available worldwide.

Sony 0, Vio 1

Back