Review of the Thinkware F750-2CH?

but at 10Mbps surely you would expect to see about +3 hours on a 16GB card? not saying it isn't but there is something a little odd with the numbers, even assuming the audio is also running at 1Mbps its still far short of what you would expect, perhaps it can be configured with a modified firmware

So the 10.7mb/s I was quoted by Thinkware is about right Niko?

So the 10.7mb/s I was quoted by Thinkware is about right Niko?

Because it uses VBR ( variable bit-rate ) where it can jump from 5 to 15Mbps depending of scene, then there is a terminology of "overall bit-rate" which MidiaInfo shows 11Mbps, but we may call Thinkware HQ 10.7Mbps answer also correct, it's not much of a difference..

ah, ok, that makes a little more sense, so the quoted 2 hours for a single cam on a 16GB card is like a worst case, itll not be any worse than that and more likely be better. That sounds sensible.

Ok guys, i have installed the Thinkware F750 with the Lukas LK-530-12v power pack for activating the parking mode on the Thinkware F750.

But if i turn off the engine it doesnt say that parking mode is activated. And it will stay in continues filming (i think).

Does someone else have the same experience? Or does someone knows how to solve this?
Offcourse i have enable then parking mode in the app.

Ok guys, i have installed the Thinkware F750 with the Lukas LK-530-12v power pack for activating the parking mode on the Thinkware F750.

But if i turn off the engine it doesnt say that parking mode is activated. And it will stay in continues filming (i think).

Does someone else have the same experience? Or does someone knows how to solve this?
Offcourse i have enable then parking mode in the app.

You need to use the official hardwiring kit as I believe parking mode is triggered via the ACC wire switching to low (the cable has 3 cores).

The Thinkware also has inbuilt voltage protection.

I have yet to wire mine up properly yet but I do have the hardwiring kit ready.

So I got my F750 and had it installed. I think the installer wired the ACC and POWER together into a T-Power Station and so it's not going into park mode. Perhaps someone can confirm if the ACC has to go to a switched power source for parking mode to work. This was a replacement for a DR650GW-2CH which I think went off movement.

I noticed some people may have had issues with DAB reception. I have a 2014 BMW 5GT. I hope this can help others as it's been doing my head in.
I have proven to BMW it's NOT the dash cam that was causing the DAB to loose reception but the power it draws. I can have great DAB reception, but plug ANYTHING into a power source such as a cigarette lighter socket such as a iPhone charger and you loose DAB reception. My previous DR650GW-2CH was hard wired, and when on would cause DAD reception issues. But then again so did the kids iPad chargers plugged into the rear cigarette lighter sockets.

DAB uses 2 aerials in a BMW, the FIN on top of the roof for metro or city driving, and the rear window for rural or country driving. There is a module mounted in the rear window behind a plastic cover that swaps between the 2 antennas depending on reception.

Originally when BMW looked at the car they said it was the camera. But in reality it was just the power. Their answer was to power it off and it solved the issue. but the issue was deeper than that.

So using the T-Power Station, I was able to power the camera but connect nothing to the car and no loss of reception. BMW have said they will replace the module in the rear window. But I suspect there is a much bigger issue.
Now I noticed there was a 2015 BMW model on this forum, and would be interested to know if they have had any similar issues and how was it wired. This may just be a particular model or series issue.

Also with BMW's and I believe AUDI and MERC, the battery management is too smart and will shut down ANY power drain after a couple of minutes so the use of a battery is needed. If you hard wire it to the battery you will still get power but it will throw an error every time you get in your car saying there was a drain on the battery.

So I got my F750 and had it installed. I think the installer wired the ACC and POWER together into a T-Power Station and so it's not going into park mode. Perhaps someone can confirm if the ACC has to go to a switched power source for parking mode to work. This was a replacement for a DR650GW-2CH which I think went off movement.

I noticed some people may have had issues with DAB reception. I have a 2014 BMW 5GT. I hope this can help others as it's been doing my head in.
I have proven to BMW it's NOT the dash cam that was causing the DAB to loose reception but the power it draws. I can have great DAB reception, but plug ANYTHING into a power source such as a cigarette lighter socket such as a iPhone charger and you loose DAB reception. My previous DR650GW-2CH was hard wired, and when on would cause DAD reception issues. But then again so did the kids iPad chargers plugged into the rear cigarette lighter sockets.

DAB uses 2 aerials in a BMW, the FIN on top of the roof for metro or city driving, and the rear window for rural or country driving. There is a module mounted in the rear window behind a plastic cover that swaps between the 2 antennas depending on reception.

Originally when BMW looked at the car they said it was the camera. But in reality it was just the power. Their answer was to power it off and it solved the issue. but the issue was deeper than that.

So using the T-Power Station, I was able to power the camera but connect nothing to the car and no loss of reception. BMW have said they will replace the module in the rear window. But I suspect there is a much bigger issue.
Now I noticed there was a 2015 BMW model on this forum, and would be interested to know if they have had any similar issues and how was it wired. This may just be a particular model or series issue.

Also with BMW's and I believe AUDI and MERC, the battery management is too smart and will shut down ANY power drain after a couple of minutes so the use of a battery is needed. If you hard wire it to the battery you will still get power but it will throw an error every time you get in your car saying there was a drain on the battery.

Correct, I believe as stated in my previous email that the ACC cable is *required* to be connected to ACC for the parking mode to be triggered.

The DR650 ruined my DAB, the F750 however does not show the same symptoms and they have both been positioned in the same locations (under the ConnectedDrive section and behind the rear view) and using the same 12v socket (under the glove compartment). I personally don't think this is an issue with the car but the shielding used on the DR650.

For a similar story to your own, just check my previous messages or my messages over at the bimmerpost forums (just search for Thinkware F750 on Google).

Anyone who was looking at clove to get the F750 dual cam, its just gone up in price, demand was significantly higher than expected. For those that did buy the dual cam, know that the "hardwire kit" , is not apart of the sale, it was a miss print, they are unable to get the cable at this time, even so, the camera is (was) still cheapest out there. I think its 249 now, which is about the a pound cheaper than else where.

For BMW owners who has DAB radio, interference should go away after you unplug rear camera and leave only main unit powered on. Please check and confirm when get a chance.

For BMW owners who has DAB radio, interference should go away after you unplug rear camera and leave only main unit powered on. Please check and confirm when get a chance.
You didn't state what camera you are referring to. As it stands, I haven't seen any complaints about DAB interference with the F750?

You didn't state what camera you are referring to. As it stands, I haven't seen any complaints about DAB interference with the F750?
Sorry, BV 650

Hey guys!!

So we got asked by a heap of people to do a video between the two DashCams (F750 and the DR650). There was a lot of cables flying about with this one :)

I set both cameras to record at their highest settings possible and had them rolling at the exact same time (Pain to sync up 4 cameras in editing). The footage is RAW and straight up as it was recorded with no effects or modification to the footage. Now you have to allow for YouTube compression but it's come out quite well. I did notice a weird bug with the DR650 in that when it went from an event record to continous record it lost a couple of seconds. This was more apparent with the rear cam.

Now in regards to footage quality alone I think both Front cams are pretty similar during the day, tad more sharpness on F750 but colour seems better on the DR650. F750 wins on rear camera quality too. Night time it's clear who the winner is... F750! Great quality, good colour and lux on both cameras. The DR650 didn't do well at all.

Let me know your personal thoughts (Make sure you watch at HD)

Night Footage starts at the 5min mark!

Nice one mate, the 650 is all over the place with colour balance and white point, it looks more colourful on the 650 but only because its oversaturated, the rear camera actually looks crap! Happy I chose the 750 :D

Did you guys notice if the little blue LED on the rear cam turns off? If you catch it straight on at night that LED is super bright, turning the security LEDs off on the front doesn't appear to affect the rear.

My only issues with it relate to function, not quality,

No Windows phone support,
No Web service built in to allow any device to change settings. (id settle for this if WP support wasn't going to happen)
The rears cam should have a couple of 4in extensions that allow the USB cable to come out at right angles rather long sweeping loops
Rear LED wont turn off
Having issues with play back on my surface pro 2, for some reason the rear stream wont play with the dash cam software, it will play with VLC or WMP and both play using dashcam software on another computer, I suspect some conflict between the Intel GPU driver and the dashcam software.
Could do with some finer level changes for the sensitivity of various things, after playing about I think my ideal settings are lower than 1, my 0 turns it to practically nothing.

I'm pretty sure the Thinkware F750 (and rear camera) is my leading candidate for a (hopefully soon) dashcam. Does it have to mount to the windshield itself, or is it possible to do a rear view mirror mount on it? Also, are you able to turn off/disable some of the extra features, like the LDWS/FCWS?

Thanks!

you can disable them, I turned mine off, its kinda cool but you really shouldn't need to be beeped at that your going to crash or changing lanes, I suspect you will need to mount to the window, if you do use those features but the lens des rotate so I guess plonking it else where is doable, I think doing that would be a shame tho, the way it sticks to the window is very effective at removing any vibration

Back